PDA

View Full Version : OT - 10 k olympic trials - track

wc1934
06-22-2012, 09:34 PM
Gaylen Rupp - 10k on the track - 27.25. Kid did not qualify for the marathon - think he came in 4th, so instead he switches to 10,0000 meters.
I would suggest he is the fastest US male (distance) and will contend for a medal in London.

esldude
06-22-2012, 10:41 PM
Bunch of BS in the women's 10K. Second place finisher was tripped, got up sprinted to catch up, and finished second. Yet because she didn't have an A standard, the 1st, third and fourth finisher go to London. What a crock of crap. How can you allow for heroics if you do stuff that way. I may refuse to watch any Olympics due to stuff like this.

estilley
06-23-2012, 12:50 AM
Galen Rupp- A great guy and hometown hero I've had the pleasure to meet a few times. He didn't run in the marathon trials, that was Dathan Ritzenhein that needed the 27:45 to make it to the Olympics.

Rupp has run 26:48...the best chance the US has had to medal in a distance event in a long time.

ORMojo
06-23-2012, 01:14 AM
Yep, it was a good day to be at the track, in spite of the rain, which should be gone in a day or two for the remainder of the Trials. I swear, though, having the Trials here at Hayward does - objectively - make the experience immeasurably better. And I'm not just boosting my home town, or saying it is better because the track is only 15 minutes from home even with the crowds.

What happens here during track meets is special. It is amazing to experience a crowd reacting before the finish, because they already know a record is about to be broken. And to see every finisher - or just entrant - in every event cheered and supported. And, of course, the large number of participants with deep Oregon ties.

A good start - the next 9 days (7 of competition) will only get better.

jds108
06-23-2012, 01:37 AM
great pics here:

http://photos.oregonlive.com/photo-essay/2012/06/olympic_team_trials-_day_2_pho.html

ultraman6970
06-23-2012, 08:15 AM
Bruce Jenner really needs to change his plastic surgeon, he looks like a plastic doll.

Fixed
06-23-2012, 08:28 AM
In Europe they have a large fan base
In the u.s. much smaller and little t.v. Coverage
It is funny that a show like American ninjas can be on prime time every week .
And real exciting sports Are almost ignored .pentathlon is a great sport too
Cheers

ORMojo
06-23-2012, 11:30 AM
great pics here:

http://photos.oregonlive.com/photo-essay/2012/06/olympic_team_trials-_day_2_pho.html

Yep - came here myself to post that link. What the photos of Ashton Eaton don't mention is that he set two world records yesterday in individual decathlon events, and is on track to possibly break the overall decathlon world record. He ran 10.21 in the 100, and hit 27-0 in the long jump, which by itself exceeds the Olympic A qualifying standard in that single event.

Nike has plastered Eugene with billboards, most focusing on the athletes. The one picturing Ashton says "Specialize in Everything"

wc1934
06-28-2012, 10:02 PM
Rupp now sets Oympic trials record in 5000 meters - bests Steve Prefontaine's 40 year old record.