PDA

View Full Version : I need some bourbon for this weekend

jmoore
06-22-2012, 03:28 PM
I am leaning towards another bottle of Bulleit, but I'm always open to something new.

So, any suggestions in the $30/bottle range? Someone suggested Dry Fly but I'm not sure I can get that at my LLS.

http://uncrate.com/p/2009/03/bulleit-bourbon.jpg

maunahaole
06-22-2012, 03:32 PM
I have recently tried both Blantons and Buffalo Trace. I'm not a gourmet, just a casual drinker who likes good stuff. Both are good stuff.

fiamme red
06-22-2012, 03:36 PM
I enjoy Elijah Craig 12-year, but I'm not a connoisseur.

fiamme red
06-22-2012, 03:43 PM
Our local liquor expert, jghall, has some recommendations here:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=1021131#post1021131

SamIAm
06-22-2012, 03:45 PM
I recently had some Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage (2002) that was very good.

redir
06-22-2012, 03:48 PM
Can't go wrong with the Bulleit. Elijah Craig is also very good IMO.

jmoore
06-22-2012, 03:52 PM
Our local liquor expert, jghall, has some recommendations here:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=1021131#post1021131

That is a great write up! I think jghall and I would get along very well. We seem to have similar tastes in bourbon.

And FWIW, I like Evan Williams 1783 if I'm looking for inexpensive (<$13 at LLS). But the Bulleit is very nice if I want to spend a bit more.

Fixed
06-22-2012, 04:06 PM
Four roses
Small batch
Cheers

zetroc
06-22-2012, 04:09 PM
Blanton's.

indyrider
06-22-2012, 04:13 PM
Ah yes, BOURBON! I love helping spend others hard earned cash on a good bottle :beer: (substitute old fashioned's for the mugs)

If you can get a hold of a Weller, any type of Weller, it will be worth your time and money. It's a "wheater" which means it's substituting wheat for rye, and has a more smooth finish. Makers Mark is also a wheater, but I think its extremely overrated.

Four Roses usually is a nice place to start for a "rye" bourbon and has a very nice spicy red hot candy finish. I also second the recommendation for Elijah Craig (EC) 12. An excellent choice and have a bottle open in my bar currently. If you can find a bottle of EC18, which is around $50 and the cheapest 18yr around, its the best bang for the buck bourbon, period, atmo.

Basil Hayden is another sensational bourbon, which has an extremely smooth finish, with hints of vanilla and orange. At 40% abv, its perfect for trying neat or with a splash of water or an ice cube, if youre not used to straight up bourbon...

Let us know how it goes and Im always willing to send a wee dram of my personal stash to anyone who wants a taste of the harder to find goods...

slainte

Hardlyrob
06-22-2012, 04:20 PM
If you are blending 10 High - believe it or not. Tastings.com gave 10 High and Fleishman's Gin the top scores for value. I've been using both for about a year, and I bet most people would believe I'm making a Maker's Mark manhattan.

Another outlier that is surprisingly good is the Costco Kirkland Signature Bourbon - it's about $17 / liter and I believe it very similar to Buffalo Trace. Same goes for their tequila - 100% Agave, silver for $17 / magnum. Give 'em a try. If not, you have some great advice here on higher end bourbons.

Happy Drinking!

Rob

Seramount
06-22-2012, 04:27 PM
local spirits shop was running a special on Eagle Rare for $23...picked up a couple of bottles, it's pretty tasty.

1792 or Maker's Mark makes a decent Manhattan.

jmoore
06-22-2012, 04:30 PM
I've tried a lot of bourbon, but my go-to's are Evan Williams 1783, Four Roses, Wild Turkey and now Bulleit.

I may see if there is a bottle of Elijah Craig for the weekend.

Keep 'em coming!

pdmtong
06-22-2012, 04:32 PM
Ah yes, BOURBON! I love helping spend others hard earned cash on a good bottle :beer: (substitute old fashioned's for the mugs)

If you can get a hold of a Weller, any type of Weller, it will be worth your time and money. It's a "wheater" which means it's substituting wheat for rye, and has a more smooth finish. Makers Mark is also a wheater, but I think its extremely overrated.

Four Roses usually is a nice place to start for a "rye" bourbon and has a very nice spicy red hot candy finish. I also second the recommendation for Elijah Craig (EC) 12. An excellent choice and have a bottle open in my bar currently. If you can find a bottle of EC18, which is around $50 and the cheapest 18yr around, its the best bang for the buck bourbon, period, atmo.

Basil Hayden is another sensational bourbon, which has an extremely smooth finish, with hints of vanilla and orange. At 40% abv, its perfect for trying neat or with a splash of water or an ice cube, if youre not used to straight up bourbon...

Let us know how it goes and Im always willing to send a wee dram of my personal stash to anyone who wants a taste of the harder to find goods...

slainte

For $25 or so it's hard to beat Old Weller Antique.

I like wheated bourbons....and in the past few years have had the opty to taste some of the holy grails: stietzel-wellers bottled as pappy van winkle, or through willet or jeffersons. Two days ago I bought into a bottle of what some call THE holy grail, the AH Hirsch 16yo. In fact, an entire book has been written about it.

http://www.amazon.com/Bourbon-Reserve-Straight-Distilled-ebook/dp/B008076O6E

All this said, what I find amazing about bourbon is there are a number of nice tastes around $30. Unlike single malt, you dont have to spend a lot if you are a casual drinker.

However, since legendary bourbon stocks are drying up - when hard to find ages or casks come up they are always on allocation and it's like a feeding frenzy to get one.

Yes, the $$$ are smoother and longer finish and bigger all around, but I do not see the same dramatic gap between low price and high price that I see with single malt.

+1 for Four Roses.
Give 1792 a try.
If you want to spend $75 or so...jefferson's 18

As a last note I was at a tasting and got a pour of a 1948 steitzel-weller.
Angels did not sing. So old is not always BETTER.

Fixed
06-22-2012, 04:33 PM
Straight up no ice. The same as scotch IMHO

Cheers

pdmtong
06-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Straight up no ice. The same as scotch IMHO

Cheers

+1
straight

Earl Gray
06-22-2012, 04:38 PM
Not Bourbon but I just got turned on to Dewar's White label Scotch and it ORCKS!

Had some already!

PaulE
06-22-2012, 04:43 PM
Makes a great Manhattan and no heartburn! Add some Luxardo Maraschino Cherry liqueur for a little something extra!

indyrider
06-22-2012, 04:54 PM
Two days ago I bought into a bottle of what some call THE holy grail, the AH Hirsch 16yo.

I'd like to get in on that!

indyrider
06-22-2012, 04:58 PM
Add some Luxardo Maraschino Cherry liqueur for a little something extra!

I live north of Cinci and make a few Kentucky trips every year to hit the distilleries and pick up a few hard to find bottles. I was schooled on the art of KY manhattans. Read NO vermouth! Just fresh cherry juice or liqueur...Yep, thats how ya do it

pdmtong
06-22-2012, 05:14 PM
I'd like to get in on that!

A bunch of us split a bottle..I forget what the bottle cost, mayb $500-600? Got a "deal" since it did not go to auction where it would have cost $1,000.

It's good. really good. but know what, it's not (IMHO) $500-1,000 good. I smiled, but angels did not sing nor did skies part. For one thing, way back when, that bottle could be had for $80 the same way a macallan 25, now $600-750, couldbe had for $125. So in addition to representing flavour, the price also reflects historical significance and scarcity.

I have gotten to taste a variety of low/high end bourbons so I felt enabled to appreciate that pour. Not that a "newbie" wouldnt like it, but man, for something like that, I do think it is worth havng some baseline and background before gulping.

been spending tme drinking cognac too. think I am settling on preferrring borderies over petitie or grand champagne.

armagnacs a bit too rustic. if just me, yea, but wife doesnt care for so I wont spend money there.

oldforester
06-22-2012, 05:15 PM
old forester. some call it woodford reserve.

srice
06-22-2012, 05:18 PM
For that price - head to Four Roses Single Barrel if you like ryes. Anything Weller if you like wheats. Care to move up any? - head to Van Winkle Family Reserve 12 if you can find it. Tough to find but very tasty.

rodcad
06-22-2012, 05:29 PM
I get pretty happy with a few splashes of Gentleman Jack. Never tried anything real exotic, but I may now :banana:

sivat
06-22-2012, 05:30 PM

What he said. Basil Hayden is great.

indyrider
06-22-2012, 06:16 PM
For that price -Care to move up any? - head to Van Winkle Family Reserve 12 if you can find it. Tough to find but very tasty.

For the same price or $5 more, get the Pappy 15 which is higher abv and has much, much more depth and character than the 12....My absolute favorite pour, which I think I will do at this moment

indyrider
06-22-2012, 06:22 PM
A few more to consider from my bunker...

Its time to worry when the bottles outnumber the bikes :eek:

dave thompson
06-22-2012, 07:47 PM
Ah, Dry Fly, our local distiller. They have only released a relatively few cases of Bourbon as they are a fairly new company and age their Bourbon for several years. Very good drinking, smooth and mellow. I don't know when the next release will be, but you might contact them directly to find out and where it may be available. http://www.dryflydistilling.com/blog/

They have good bicycle kit too!

tch
06-22-2012, 08:07 PM
High West Distillery. Double rye: http://www.highwest.com/spirits/double-rye/

You can get it around at various places.

roguedog
06-22-2012, 08:20 PM
+ 1 on Four Rose Single Barrel and Basil Hayden.

May have to try Bulleit and love that Dry fly has a bike kit! Makes me want to give 'em a go if I'm ever up in Wa again.

Fun thread. Makes me think of the good ole says when Dave would update his tequila thread :p

mbakes
06-22-2012, 08:30 PM
If you are willing to go abut higher in price at some point down the road, add some Angels Envy (on the left) and Vintage Bourbon to the list. As said above, you can't go wrong with PVW 12 or 15. Here are some bad pics of my bourbon/rye collection:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/mbakes/Mobile%20Uploads/8d344093.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/mbakes/Mobile%20Uploads/76e8a071.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/mbakes/Mobile%20Uploads/faa7ffe7.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/mbakes/Mobile%20Uploads/dc7e8055.jpg

rugbysecondrow
06-22-2012, 08:37 PM
I am a fan of Willet's Bourbon...bottle on the right in the first photo...one of my favorites.

If you are willing to go abut higher in price at some point down the road, add some Angels Envy (on the left) and Vintage Bourbon to the list. As said above, you can't go wrong with PVW 12 or 15. Here are some bad pics of my bourbon/rye collection:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/mbakes/Mobile%20Uploads/8d344093.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/mbakes/Mobile%20Uploads/faa7ffe7.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/mbakes/Mobile%20Uploads/dc7e8055.jpg

classtimesailer
06-22-2012, 08:55 PM
Anything Bonded 100 proof. Good medicine.

Honey
06-22-2012, 09:25 PM
LLC dependent you might find something tasty and local but for the trekalized of the world I find Gentleman's Jack to be a great bang for the buck and tastiness in the straight no chaser (rip thelonius monk) department. Knob Creek is delicious but might be a touch out of your price range.30ish for what size bottle is a legit question. I'm no booze aficando and generally go wild turkey 101 because it usually leads to a lot of fun and leaves more room for the bike budget.

srice
06-22-2012, 10:14 PM
I really don't get the Basil Hayden. So many people have praised it. I bought a bottle and it was the most vile whiskey I have ever tasted (and I live in KY and can get all kinds). I actually dumped the bottle. I though it must have been bad, so I tried it again in a bar - same disgusting swill.

Stick with just about anything out of Buffalo Trace (the antique collection is primo!) and you won't go wrong.

pdmtong
06-22-2012, 11:47 PM
For the same price or $5 more, get the Pappy 15 which is higher abv and has much, much more depth and character than the 12....My absolute favorite pour, which I think I will do at this moment

the dirty secret about current pappy 15 is that its all buffalo trace now...no longer stietzel-weller stocks...those are saved for the 21

purists will care...everyone else...it's just damn good.

pdmtong
06-22-2012, 11:49 PM

how are those oak project BT's? curious.

TMB
06-23-2012, 12:18 AM
I am leaning towards another bottle of Bulleit, but I'm always open to something new.

So, any suggestions in the $30/bottle range? Someone suggested Dry Fly but I'm not sure I can get that at my LLS.

I saw an email this morning that led me to believe something called Pappy Van Winkle's was the go to ....

cat6
06-23-2012, 12:27 AM
Radinjinci is a village in the municipality of Babušnica, Serbia. According to the 2002 census, the village has a population of 288 people

pdmtong
06-23-2012, 12:37 AM
I saw an email this morning that led me to believe something called Pappy Van Winkle's was the go to ....

PVW is the classic...since originally it was all s-w juice.
however, they currenty use buffaloe trace stocks for the 12 and 15.

they are good, but not like the s-w base from before. only a purist wuold know/care...

thats said if you can get a PVW without paying a premium...do it.
if you have to pay a premium, and are new to bourbon...don't...plenty of other less expensive and very approachable choices.

pdmtong
06-23-2012, 12:38 AM
I don't know if this is common knowledge, but at $15 Fighting Cock is what I'd consider bang for your buck. I make a glass with one ice cube and a splash of bitters. Done deal.

Since you're in the bay, St. George Spirits is working on a second batch of their Bourbon, if I were still up there I'd be very interested in a bottle!

SGS...love those guys too.

tailingloop
06-23-2012, 12:45 AM
This bourbon is really good and affordably priced. Also 5% of sales go to Marine Corps charities. Unfortunately, I think it's only available at the Quantico PX right now.

I know the owner. If anyone wants a sample, PM me.

www.devildogliquor.com

holliscx
06-23-2012, 05:38 AM
I had Buffalo Trace at a wedding once. I'm not a bourbon guy but never again.

srice
06-23-2012, 05:45 AM

If you can find it, I would snatch it up. If nothing other than for its rarity - I'll buy it from you. It has become very popular and is almost impossible to find. This spring my LLS (local liquor store) help half of its spring allotment for me. I got 1 bottle of 15. I do know where a stash of 12 is sitting in another state, but I plan to take a trip in a couple of months and clean them out. Foprtunately for now I'm well stocked with a couple of 12s, a 15, half a 20 and 1.5 bottles of 23.

Fixed
06-23-2012, 08:19 AM
I woke up to rain so it is Irish coffee this a.m.
Hiccup ...cheers :

rugbysecondrow
06-24-2012, 07:17 AM
Got together with a buddy last night over a bottle of Eagle Rare 10 year...we both really liked it. A great sipping bourbon, very good taste and smooth. We also drank some of the Willet as comparison. The Willet was smokier and more complex, but not as smooth as the Eagle Rare. I think many non-whiskey folks would like the Eagle Rare more, it is delicious.

About 40 bucks a bottle, but worth it.

Jeff N.
06-24-2012, 10:07 AM
"Shaddup! It's DADDY, you s**thead! Where's my bourbon? Can't you fu**in' remember anything?!" -Frank Booth (Dennis Hopper), Blue Velvet

Cinci Jim
06-24-2012, 01:18 PM
Nearly all of the bourbon drinkers I know will drink most what is produced here. As a side note, this is a really good, sort of related beer.

http://www.kentuckyale.com/beer/Pages/KentuckyBourbonBarrelAle.aspx

pdmtong
08-09-2012, 10:32 PM
Four Roses Distillery - Lawrenceberg, KY - Owned by the Japanese company Kirin, obviously they make Four Roses Bourbon. They're one of the easier distilleries to remember because they only have one brand. However, Diageo contracts them to make Bulleit Bourbon, so add that to the list.

Buffalo Trace Distillery - Frankfort, KY - Perhaps the most diverse portfolio of any distillery around, these guys make a ton of different expressions:

Buffalo Trace, Elmer T Lee, Eagle Rare, Weller, Rock Hill Farms, Blanton's, George T Stagg, Handy Rye, Sazerac Rye, and many other experimental or limited edition releases.

Heaven Hill (Bernheim) Distillery - Louisville, KY - Heaven Hill used to be located in Bardstown, which you'll see references to all the time when people distinguish between the two. However, that facility was gutted by a huge fire back in 1996, forcing the company to look elsewhere for production. In 2000, they began distilling at the Bernheim distillery in Louisville after purchasing the site from Diageo. Elijah Craig, Evan Williams, and Parker's Heritage are the most popular HH expressions we carry. Rittenhouse Rye is also part of their collection, however it's been distilled at Brown-Forman over the past few years. I'm pretty sure that it's being made at Bernheim again, but I'll have to check on that.

1792 Ridgemont Reserve Distillery (Barton) - Bardstown, KY - Also known as the Tom Moore distillery, Sazerac purchased the site in 2009 (I believe) and renamed it for their new 1792 Brand. We bought our own single cask from them earlier this year and we currently carry both the regular and K&L expressions.

Wild Turkey Distilery - Lawrenceburg, KY - Owned by the Campari group (who bought it from Pernod-Ricard in 2009), Wild Turkey is another straight forward brand. They make Wild Turkey and Russell's Reserve, named after their legendary master distiller Jimmy Russell.

Maker's Mark Distillery - Loretto, KY - Maker's Mark was the only product made at the facility until Maker's 46 came out a few years back. Pretty straight forward, easy to remember.

Brown-Forman (Early Times) Distillery - Shively, KY - Old Forester is the main brand coming out of Shively, but I believe some of Woodford Reserve is made here as well, then brought over the Woodford Reserve distillery (also owned by Brown-Forman) and married with the other whiskey.

Woodford Reserve Distillery - Versailles, KY - Woodford Reserve makes Woodford Reserve - pretty simple.

Jim Beam Distilleries - Boston, KY and Clermont, KY - From what I understand, it's not really possible to designate which Beam whiskies come from which distillery, so you can only narrow it down to Beam in general. Beam produces Jim Beam, Knob Creek, Booker's, Baker's, Old Overholt Rye and Old Grand Dad to name a few.

Lawrenceburg Distillers Indiana (LDI) - Lawrenceburg, IN - Formerly owned by Seagram's, this until-recently independent distillery (purchased just recently by MGP Ingredients) is probably the most popular distillery you've never heard of. Their aged stocks of rye dominate the market at the moment, even though you probably didn't know you were drinking their booze. High West Rye, Redemption Rye, Willett Rye, Templeton Rye, Bulleit Rye, and a few other Bourbons were all made from LDI stock. They happened to have a ton of rye just sitting there for the taking, while other distilleries were caught with their pants down. Many companies jumped at the chance to fill the market gap while Rittenhouse, Wild Turkey and Sazerac reloaded.

So where does everything else come from?

Kentucky Bourbon Distillers - Bardstown, KY - While the Willett distillery is finally up and running again, nothing from the KBD portfolio was distilled there. Noah's Mill, Rowan's Creek, Pure Kentucky, Willett, Johnny Drum, Black Maple Hill, Michter's, and a slew of other independent labels are all mixed from various whiskies at KBD headquarters. They buy Bourbon from every distillery except for Maker's Mark, so your guess is as good as mine as to which whiskies comprise their many fine selections.

Other brands like Hooker's House, Hirsch Small Batch Reserve, and Big Bottom are smaller versions of KBD - independent labels that have purchased Bourbon from somewhere and repackaged it. Then there are new, smaller distilleries like Stranahan's, Breckenridge, and others that make their own whiskies in house.

By no means a complete list, this should get you started if you're looking for some way to wrap your head around the Bourbon game. If you need more info you should pick up Chuck Cowdery's book - Bourbon, Straight. Everything I've talked about here (with a few updated exceptions) can be explored in more detail within its pages.

Aaron_Kellogg
08-10-2012, 12:20 AM

Why mess around when you've already found the best Bulleit gets a huge +1

LouDeeter
08-10-2012, 01:49 AM
http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/15900

Collingwood offers a Canadian whiskey with maple flavor that is very good and under $30 a bottle. I usually drink Woodford Reserve when I drink bourbon and this was as good or better for sipping. Review above link.

LouDeeter
08-10-2012, 01:53 AM
http://www.ludwigsfinewine.com/main.asp?request=TYPEPAGE&sel_category=30&type=L&

I buy wine from Magid at Ludwig's Wine & Spirits. If you can get delivery of booze in your zip code, his prices even with shipping are usually better than what you can get at your local liquor store. I usually even out the case lot with scotch when I order from him. Note: Not a good idea to ship wine in warm weather, but he will hold until cool weather free of charge. He sends out emails with special offers on wine.

Jeff N.
08-10-2012, 09:11 AM
Tried REBEL YELL Bourbon recently. Nice!

brando
08-10-2012, 10:35 PM
Michters makes a few of my favorites.

Toddtwenty2
08-10-2012, 11:42 PM
I really enjoy most things from the Buffalo trace distillery.

For sheer bang for the buck and excellence in a Manhattan or sazerac, I prefer Wild Turkey 101.