PDA

View Full Version : OT: Lodging options in Boston and NYC

GuyGadois
06-21-2012, 10:35 PM
I'm taking the family (two kids aged 10 & 12) on a trip this summer to NYC, Boston and Maine. A few days in NYC, a few in Boston and a week on Little Sebago Lake. We're having a tough time finding lodging in both Boston and NYC. :mad:

Any input on where we should look for lodging and which parts of the cities we should concentrate on? We prefer to stay in an apartment, condo or home with good public transportation close by and not too far out of town. I've tried a few apartment rental sites and it seems most places are sold out. The supply is fairly limited because of the kids.

We already have our home on the lake in Maine.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

GG

robin3mj
06-21-2012, 10:46 PM
Fort Lee, NJ is kind of a go to spot for people headed to manhattan who want to save a few bucks.

buldogge
06-21-2012, 11:30 PM
Yeah...Good luck...I just gave up on a last minute trip to Boston (originally from Mass.) to visit family and do a bit of exploring and came up empty for an apt. rental. If I was solo it would be no problem getting something off airbnb.

I liked Nu Hotel in Brooklyn, but it wasn't "cheap" (but was reasonable for NYC, and clean). Good location with easy train access to most places.

-Mark in St. Louis

I'm taking the family (two kids aged 10 & 12) on a trip this summer to NYC, Boston and Maine. A few days in NYC, a few in Boston and a week on Little Sebago Lake. We're having a tough time finding lodging in both Boston and NYC. :mad:

Any input on where we should look for lodging and which parts of the cities we should concentrate on? We prefer to stay in an apartment, condo or home with good public transportation close by and not too far out of town. I've tried a few apartment rental sites and it seems most places are sold out. The supply is fairly limited because of the kids.

We already have our home on the lake in Maine.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

GG

buldogge
06-21-2012, 11:33 PM
Oh yeah...As far as where to try to stay. You could try to find something on Beacon Hill which gives you quick access to both the red and green lines, or perhaps the SouthEnd. I like the Cambridge/Somerville area along the red line...Harvard, Porter, Davis.

Good luck.

-Mark

veloduffer
06-22-2012, 07:55 AM
We spent a long weekend in Boston at the Nine Zero Hotel (http://www.ninezero.com/) on Tremont Street - very modern and comfortable. It's right near the Common and the start of the Freedom Trail tour (the tour is good & we had a great guide). It's in walking distance of almost everything (Fanueil Hall, Beacon Hill) - we walked and didn't take any transportation. If you're a baseball fan, take the Fenway Park tour (also watch the movie "Town" which includes Fenway).

In NYC, take a look for some boutique hotels away from midtown - near the Village or SoHo. Or if you stay in NJ (Jersey City, Hoboken, Weehawken), you can take the ferry across to Manhattan - nice way to start the day.

Ken Robb
06-22-2012, 01:02 PM
In NYC The Beacon Hotel on Broadway near 75th has suites/with a bedroom and large LR/DR with kitchen. It's not fancy but quite comfy and "reasonable" for NYC. There is a coffee shop but we made great use of the Fairway Market across the street for fine foods to eat in our suite. Beacon Liquors is on the corner and has a GREAT selection of wines at good prices. It's a short walk to the subway.

We also have got fabulous bargains on hotels using Price Line "Name-Your-Own-Price program.

crownjewelwl
06-22-2012, 01:28 PM
VRBO??

http://www.vrbo.com/search/usa/new-york/new-york-city/manhattan/keywords:new%20york%20city,%20ny/Dates:firm

location depends on what you want to do. but since public transportation is so good you can get around pretty easily.

doesn't seem like you and your kids would want to do much shopping, so i would think something downtown might be more interesting...

fiamme red
06-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Any input on where we should look for lodging and which parts of the cities we should concentrate on? We prefer to stay in an apartment, condo or home with good public transportation close by and not too far out of town. I've tried a few apartment rental sites and it seems most places are sold out. The supply is fairly limited because of the kids.If you want to spend a maximum amount of time in Manhattan without paying a fortune for lodging, consider staying in Jersey City. It's a 5-15 minute ride on the PATH train into the heart of Manhattan.

GuyGadois
06-22-2012, 03:19 PM
Great feedback, guys. As a last resort I reserved a hotel in Boston and NYC. We really prefer a apartment/condo with a kitchen as we prefer to eat in on some nights and most breakfasts. I'll check out NJ if public transport is easy. Which NJ city is that?

GG

fiamme red
06-22-2012, 03:27 PM
Great feedback, guys. As a last resort I reserved a hotel in Boston and NYC. We really prefer a apartment/condo with a kitchen as we prefer to eat in on some nights and most breakfasts. I'll check out NJ if public transport is easy. Which NJ city is that?

GGJersey City, across the Hudson River from downtown Manhattan. Hoboken is also very convenient. They allow much quicker access to midtown than many neighborhoods in the five boroughs.

54ny77
06-22-2012, 03:48 PM
I hear Newark is lovely....

...if you're in an airplane getting the he!! outta there...

;)

GG

CNY rider
06-22-2012, 06:43 PM
In NYC The Beacon Hotel on Broadway near 75th has suites/with a bedroom and large LR/DR with kitchen. It's not fancy but quite comfy and "reasonable" for NYC. There is a coffee shop but we made great use of the Fairway Market across the street for fine foods to eat in our suite. Beacon Liquors is on the corner and has a GREAT selection of wines at good prices. It's a short walk to the subway.

We also have got fabulous bargains on hotels using Price Line "Name-Your-Own-Price program.

Same neighborhood: The Milburn Hotel.
Nice family suites, reasonable prices for Manhattan.