PDA

View Full Version : eBay scammers must think we were born yesterday

Bruce K
09-16-2005, 02:01 PM
There is a new auction for a 2004 Ottrott on eBay.

If this one turns out to be legit I will be stunned.

Pricing is in GBP for a bike in New York among other oddities.

It makes for good entertainment.

BK

jpw
09-16-2005, 03:30 PM
Have you seen all the other bikes the seller has listed for sale? LItespeed this, Phil Wood SS ti that....et.c., et.c., et.c., et.c.....................et.c. How can this be?

I'm thinking the only possible explanation (other than a scam) is that the seller is a theft/ insurance/ property recovery 'broker' or some such intermediary, maybe......and I'm being generous. It is within the realm of the possible. I have a relative in insurance and all kinds of stuff gets recovered by th epolice after the policy has been paid out on. The item then becomes the property of the insurance company. They have no time to assess value or attempt a sale. It's often job lot bulk selling to intermediaries- they just want it off their hands pronto. The pics of each bike are often apparently taken in a 'home' situation. They might have been provided by the owner for identification purposes as part of their insurance claim. Who really knows (?)

I can't explain the NY/ UK contradiction, unless it's a UK broker.

Sandy
09-16-2005, 03:49 PM
I don't understand. I know almost nothing about eBay bidding, but it doesn't seem strange to me. The seller has a 100% positive feedback rating. It says the bike is in New Jersey. The reserve has not been met, and I don't see any other items listed for sale by the seller. What am I missing here?

Stymied Sandy

znfdl
09-16-2005, 04:17 PM
I received this message from a prospective buyer. Makes me laugh but also angry that people fall for this BS. In case people have not heard, they send a fraudulent mail order, that takes about 3 weeks to make it through the payment system until the fraudulent mail order is detected. You are then out the merchandise.

I can think of a few ways to satisfy his sister :banana:

HELLO SELLER, MY NAME IS HENRY COLE AND AM INTERSTED IN THE PURCHASE OF YOUR ITEM AND I WILL BE SENDING YOU A MONEYGRAM, BUT DUE TO THE URGENCY OF THE ITEM I WANT IT SHIPPED IMMEDIATELY YOU RECEIVE CONFIRMATION / APPROVAL OF MY PAYMENT MAIL FROM MONEYGRAM.ONCE THE CONFIRMATION IS MAILED TO YOU IT MEANS THAT YOUR MONEY IS ON ITS WAY AND WOULD DEFINATELY GET TO YOU. I WILL ALSO PAY YOU $400 FOR THIS ITEM BECAUSE IT IS URGENTLY NEEDED FOR MY SISTER'S WEDDING I WANT TO USE IT AS A PRESENT AND THE WEDDING WILL COME UP BY NEXT WEEK, YOU MAY THINK THAT THE MONEY IS MUCH BUT THERE IS NOTHING I CAN'T DO TO SATISFY MY SISTER AND TO MAKE HER HAPPY .SO IF YOU AGREE WITH MY OFFER I WANT YOU TO SEND ME YOUR INFORMATION WHERE I CAN MAKE THE PAYMENT TO ; YOUR NAMES, ADDRESS, STATE, CITY , ZIPCODE , COUNTRY AND THE ITEM NUMBERS. AND ONCE THE MONEY IS APPROVED / CONFIRMED,I WANT IT SHIPPED OUT IMMEDIATELY BECAUSE OF THE URGENCY OK.I WILL BE HANDLING THE SHIPMENT OK.

sellsworth
09-16-2005, 04:25 PM
I don't understand. I know almost nothing about eBay bidding, but it doesn't seem strange to me. The seller has a 100% positive feedback rating. It says the bike is in New Jersey. The reserve has not been met, and I don't see any other items listed for sale by the seller. What am I missing here?

Stymied Sandy

Sandy - it must be that the bogus 2004 Ottrott on eBay has been pulled because the only one I see there is the one you found.

keno
09-16-2005, 04:30 PM
perhaps a hijacking of the named seller's ID? Isn't that how Kevan taught you to sell fly's house?

keno

gdw
09-16-2005, 05:06 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/IMMACULATE-2004-Serotta-Ottrott-Bike_W0QQitemZ7183329968QQcategoryZ98082QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If this bike could only talk. East coast, west coast, Great Britain....where will it turn up next?

The Spider
09-16-2005, 05:43 PM
It appears that eBay has also joined the LONG list of things that have been beseiged by scumbags.

I put in a bid for a Colnago C50 2 weeks ago and was runner up in the auction, since then I have received over 30 emails from the 'so-called' owner of merchandise telling me that the winning bid fell through and if I email them (outside of eBay due to technical problems) I can send them the money.

The funny thing was I received 7 the first morning from different people all claiming they were the owner.

Some people really are disgusting. Imagine the kind of person who believes this is how one should treat others.

Sandy
09-16-2005, 08:34 PM
perhaps a hijacking of the named seller's ID? Isn't that how Kevan taught you to sell fly's house?

keno

Yeah. Kevan taught me well, but I misspelled house. He still has it, but the horse and hay are gone. Fly thinks that he is the stallion anyway. :banana:

Stallion Sandy

stuttgart6
10-09-2005, 07:37 AM
Hello again Liebschen,

Based upon ze whole Dadoo tink, I would say more like born a few nanoseconds ago.

Regards from Luxembourg,

Doris for Dadoo

Sandy
10-09-2005, 08:10 AM
It appears that eBay has also joined the LONG list of things that have been beseiged by scumbags.

I put in a bid for a Colnago C50 2 weeks ago and was runner up in the auction, since then I have received over 30 emails from the 'so-called' owner of merchandise telling me that the winning bid fell through and if I email them (outside of eBay due to technical problems) I can send them the money.

The funny thing was I received 7 the first morning from different people all claiming they were the owner.

Some people really are disgusting. Imagine the kind of person who believes this is how one should treat others.

Very unfortunately, there are many people who spend their time and energy devising unscrupulous methods of taking money from people. They have no ethics.

Sandy

Kevan
10-09-2005, 11:39 AM
I've been meaning to ask, how are you and the Mrs. enjoying that bridge I sold you?

Any problems?

Sandy
10-09-2005, 11:44 AM
I've been meaning to ask, how are you and the Mrs. enjoying that bridge I sold you?

Any problems?

Yeah, one big problem- It isn't attached to anything at either end!! :no: :no:

On the bridge with nowhere to go,

Stranded Sandy and Stranded Sandy's Spouse