PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for website building software?

texbike
06-21-2012, 11:18 AM
I'm in the process of putting together a website for a new business venture and would love to have the collective wisdom of the forum on what website-building software packages might be the best.

The website will essentially be a landing page to talk about the mission of the business, vendor partners, contact information, upcoming events, news-worthy articles, etc. Eventually I will have an e-commerce link to the page. I would also like the ability to have an attached/associated blog, Twitter feed, etc.

Also of note, I am NOT a programmer by any means and am looking for something with a template base that is easy to use/beginner friendly. It should also be flexible with the ability to change heading fonts, backgrounds, images, etc. Free packages would be nice as well. :)

I did my first website this past week using Plesk Sitebuilder. Plesk is easy to use, but definitely lacks the flexibility needed to deliver the (more) professional quality that I'm after.

Given all of this, what website development packages would you suggest?

Thanks!

Texbike

redir
06-21-2012, 11:21 AM
Wordpress would satisfy all those needs. You would want a provider designed to handle Wordpress sites and preferable have root shell access to the entire site.

rwsaunders
06-21-2012, 12:54 PM
If you have a Mac, you might iWeb to be simple and straight forward.

http://www.apple.com/findouthow/web

jmoore
06-21-2012, 01:52 PM
+1 on Wordpress.

I've got two sites running WP templates and one of the free templates will be easy to get up and running and up to speed on.

texbike
06-22-2012, 08:35 AM
Thanks guys. My provider does support Wordpress so I may have a go with it. I'll look at iWeb as well.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Texbike

neiltron
06-22-2012, 05:53 PM
I will hands down recommend Virb.com (http://virb.com/features). Very, very easy to use and will integrate with Bigcartel when you want to add a shopping cart. Wordpress isn't the best platform in my opinion for what you want to do - there's a lot of blog-centric things you'll want to remove like "comments are disabled on this page" messages, for example.

ngilbert
06-25-2012, 10:06 PM
I second wordpress. It's easy to use and most popular web hosts offer a simple install interface for it so you don't have to do it yourself.