PDA

View Full Version : Square taper BB recommendations?

54ny77
06-21-2012, 10:14 AM
Could really use a good online source and brand recommendation for square taper BB. Ideally something that's a good balance between light and durable.

Question: it's been so long since I used one, but do the spindles have to be a certain length? Will the crank generally spec that? The BB shell itself is a regular 68mm width w/english thread.

Thanks for any tips.

spacemen3
06-21-2012, 10:25 AM
A lot depends on the crankset you'll be using. Aside from spindle length and threading type, you also have to worry about the taper as well: JIS, ISO, or something random. It can get pretty frustrating when you buy something that you thought would work but doesn't. The upside I guess is that you start a collection of bottom-brackets that you can use for test fitments later. It's my experience that you can expect some trial and error (aka frustration) to get some of the beautiful old cranks to fit just right. The good news is that if your frame is english threaded and your crank is JIS, you can experiment with cheap Shimano bottom-brackets. Don't plop down on a Phil Wood until you are certain of correct fitment.

zap
06-21-2012, 10:40 AM
per other thread on the Cannondale cranks.....Phil Wood.

Check out their website to see all the options.

fiamme red
06-21-2012, 10:45 AM
I've heard good things about SKF:

http://www.compasscycle.com/cranks_bb.html (available in both JIS and ISO)

Joe Remi
06-21-2012, 10:47 AM
Light enough, durable enough, and cheap enough to take a good guess on what length you need, then snap up another one if the first didn't work out.

http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/bbc.htm

cp43
06-21-2012, 10:55 AM
I don't think it's very light, but the Shimano unit that came with my Novara in 2005 is still going strong, with no maintenance other than pulling it a couple times when I've stripped the whole bike to frame saver it. I think you want part number BB-UN55.

As for spindle length. It depends on you cranks (bigger rings need longer spindle to clear the chain stays), and chain stays (wider ones need longer spindles to keep the rings away). As spaceman said, expect to have to try it a couple times.

Good luck.

Chris

zennmotion
06-21-2012, 10:59 AM
Could really use a good online source and brand recommendation for square taper BB. Ideally something that's a good balance between light and durable.

Question: it's been so long since I used one, but do the spindles have to be a certain length? Will the crank generally spec that? The BB shell itself is a regular 68mm width w/english thread.

Thanks for any tips.

For the high end/sealed Phil or SKF (German mfr). That said, I've had a throwaway $20 Tange sealed in my Hamster that I haven't touched in 3 years. It was supposed to be temporary until I bought the SKF, but that day hasn't come. Other than Ti spindles, and old school non-cartridge units (cups+bearings+spindle) I don't think the weight difference between the sealed units is significant. Remember that there are two square standards- Campy and JIS, and the two don't play well together even though it looks like they might. Spindles vary in length by crank model/mfr for best chainline- eg my Sugino Alpina compacts take a 110mm- Google is your friend for your model. Square tapers work just as well and just as reliable as they ever were.

zennmotion
06-21-2012, 11:08 AM
I don't think it's very light, but the Shimano unit that came with my Novara in 2005 is still going strong, with no maintenance other than pulling it a couple times when I've stripped the whole bike to frame saver it. I think you want part number BB-UN55.

As for spindle length. It depends on you cranks (bigger rings need longer spindle to clear the chain stays), and chain stays (wider ones need longer spindles to keep the rings away). As spaceman said, expect to have to try it a couple times.

Good luck.

Chris

Yep. bombproof, it should last at least a season or several, then throw it away and replace.

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-BB-UN55-Square-Bottom-Bracket/dp/B007FP6HEQ

Ralph
06-21-2012, 11:14 AM
Square taper is pretty simple to me. And I never have to guess what a crank takes. I only use Campy square taper cranksets, and just know what they take. They are simple to understand. If you are considering a Campy crankset, there are many of us on here that can tell you exactly what BB length to get. No guess work.

As above mentioned....Phil has what you need for your crankset. If you don't know yourself....ask them.

ergott
06-21-2012, 11:31 AM
Phil Wood. Cheap if you consider they last forever. Even if you cook a bearing, they are serviceable so less waste than disposable bottom brackets.

saab2000
06-21-2012, 11:47 AM
I'm going to go against the grain here and say that my experience with Shimano square BBs has been outstanding. The biggest negative is that the chainline is not adjustable like it is with a Phil and the lengths are optimized for Shimano cranks, etc.

I have a Phil in my single-speed which is pretty rough at the moment and will have to be serviced before the next time I ride it. It has served well but I've had Shimanos serve even better.

That said, Phil does make Campagnolo-specific tapers and the chainline is adjustable. But you need the Phil tool (two actually) to install them and it is possible to overcompress them, which is not the case on a Shimano.

But unless you are running a Campgnolo crank and want the Chorus or Record option (good ones BTW) Shimano and Phil are the only quality games in town.

pdmtong
06-21-2012, 12:00 PM
But unless you are running a Campgnolo crank and want the Chorus or Record option (good ones BTW) Shimano and Phil are the only quality games in town.

chorus and record are fine until they get wet...then poof toast. like 2k miles toast.

the longer term answer is phil

zennmotion
06-21-2012, 12:05 PM
chorus and record are fine until they get wet...then poof toast. like 2k miles toast.

Phil or SKF.

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/bottombrackets.html

saab2000
06-21-2012, 12:15 PM

That was not my experience. I never had a Campagnolo BB go bad on me. I have since graduated to Ultra Torque BBs and my experience there has been the same. No issues.

DHallerman
06-21-2012, 01:59 PM
Yep. bombproof, it should last at least a season or several, then throw it away and replace.

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-BB-UN55-Square-Bottom-Bracket/dp/B007FP6HEQ

An even better Amazon link for Shimano BB-UN55 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DTIKQE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER) bottom brackets.

Better prices, and Amazon is seller (so if you do Amazon Prime, no shipping costs).

keevon
06-21-2012, 02:07 PM
JIS taper: Shimano UN-55, cheap and long-lasting. I've never had one go bad.

ISO taper: Miche Primato for a cheap option, Phil or SKF for longer service life. I don't think Campagnolo BB's are a good investment when you compare price to longevity.

Stay away from Token and most other off-brand BB's. These typically have poor seals.

cnighbor1
06-21-2012, 10:12 PM
When in doubt install a bb and the cranset you plan on using
See what you get in the way of clearances and alignment
Measure what you need to gain or lose Than buy or get a bb axle that has what you need
charles

oldpotatoe
06-22-2012, 07:35 AM

Thanks for any tips.

BB spindles are matched to the crank, both in length and taper(ISO or JIS). Both are 2 degrees but JIS is larger in actual millimeters.

classtimesailer
06-22-2012, 09:01 PM
I finally got a PW. Really pretty. All the old guys say that they are the best. Go Titanium and Magnesium. Last one you buy.

Bob Loblaw
06-23-2012, 10:52 AM
+1 for shimano. Cheap and last forever. Ia have one on my rain bike that has lasted 6 years. I ride 2000 miles on it during the off season in ct through salt, grit, snow, plus rain all year long. I got it because it was cheap, $30 delivered to my door, but appears to be indestructible.

BL

67-59
06-23-2012, 12:15 PM

Interesting. I have 36,000 miles on my Record square taper BB, and it's still going strong. And it gets wet all the time....

mtechnica
06-23-2012, 12:18 PM
un55 accept no substitute. also lol at lasting a season or two, more like 10 years.

Viper
06-23-2012, 12:35 PM
JIS taper: Shimano UN-55, cheap and long-lasting. I've never had one go bad.

ISO taper: Miche Primato for a cheap option, Phil or SKF for longer service life. I don't think Campagnolo BB's are a good investment when you compare price to longevity.

Stay away from Token and most other off-brand BB's. These typically have poor seals.

Just bought a MICHE Primato for my next build. Cost $33.00, looked and sounded good.

I have a Campy Centaur on my FUSO, it's nice, decent, works and hasn't given any issues in 300 miles...which is all you want from a BB. Still, for half the price, I am curious about MICHE, whose bearings, I believe, are SKF...very good German bearings. I read internet posts of MICHE bb's coming loose, maybe there is some truth to this, dunno, or maybe it's simply human error.

Will try a direct version of SKF bb (available in JIS or ISO) someday:

http://www.compasscycle.com/bb_SKFBRC_iso.html