PDA

View Full Version : Roof Rack

Spinz
06-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Do any of you folks have any experience with a Sea Sucker Talon? http://www.seasucker.com/shop/1187/ thanks in advance Lp

DRZRM
06-20-2012, 02:21 PM
I must admit, that would make me VERY nervous.

AngryScientist
06-20-2012, 03:03 PM
not a change i would use that system.

MattTuck
06-20-2012, 03:10 PM
It is a cool idea. But even if it is 100% better than the suction cup used to attach my GPS to my windshield, it would still fail about once out of 50 times you attach it.

I'd love to know which insurance company wrote a policy for their general liability, so I can avoid them.

dustyrider
06-20-2012, 03:31 PM
I don't have long term experience with their product, but I talked to them at length, in person, and they are very confident in their product's abilities. I tried my best to remove the suction cups with torque and trickery, to no avail. Glass handlers, use this same system and they seem to be pretty confident in the suctions capabilities, too. SeaSucker didn't tell me this, I've used them myself several times, very successfully.

The only draw back that I could see to them, which some may consider it to be a benefit, is that they need to be reattached all the time, hence the "temporary" part of their product's description. In fact in the sales pitch they tout the ease of removal so you can stash them in your car, while you're on your ride. It would seem that you really have to take them off, and reinstall them every time you use them.

I've got a Thule rack with Yakima King Cobras already installed, so I'm not really interested. If I was in the market and I had a car that didn't have roof rails, I'd consider them.

Nooch
06-20-2012, 03:38 PM
i'd never use it, but having used high grade suction cup camera mounts on cars with digital slr's and older camcorders (think mini-dv size), i'm sure it's probaby not as bad as we think it is..

keevon
06-20-2012, 04:19 PM
http://www.seasucker.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/biking_0.jpg

Black Dog
06-20-2012, 09:23 PM
There are a lot of applications that use suction cups under high loads and they work fine. Think about windows and stone counter tops. I would be more worried about denting the thin sheet metal of the roof when the bike rocks in the wind.