PDA

View Full Version : How to beat heat headaches?

blantonator
06-20-2012, 01:17 PM
It's that time of year and I'm already suffering from heat headaches on my high intensity rides. I'm a lightweight guy but really struggle to keep cool in the heat. I'm drinking plenty of water and dumping it on my head, but I can't stop the heat related headaches. Any tips to keep cooler? I seem to have more of an issue with this than other I ride with.

Anyone try the cooling vests or beanies?

Also, to note, my rides generally start with a decent warmup.

nicrump
06-20-2012, 01:25 PM
seriously, if you are staying hydrated but dealing with this kind of issue, don't ride in heat that causes this. you are taking time off your life IMO.

MattTuck
06-20-2012, 01:26 PM
Is it related to the heat/body temp? or is it related to hydration, which just happens to be put in to stress conditions due to the heat?

If it is the latter, I'm not sure what a cooling vest would do. Are you drinking enough water before and after the ride? Hydration is something you need to worry about the entire day, not just on the bike. Also, are you just drinking water? or is it electrolyte replacement?

As a cheap (and possibly first try at something) ride with a wet cold towel (dunk it in a local stream?) around the back of your neck. Blood vessels are close the surface there and can act to bring the cooler temps to the rest of your body.

The camelbak insulated bottles will keep your drinks cool, if you're not already using them.

laupsi
06-20-2012, 01:29 PM
seriously, if you are staying hydrated but dealing with this kind of issue, don't ride in heat that causes this. you are taking time off your life IMO.

+1, listen to your body, the fact you get headaches when you ride in xtreme heat should be an indicator.

gdw
06-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Try wearing a bandana under your helmet and soaking it down with water so that it stays moist.

blantonator
06-20-2012, 01:38 PM
I'm properly hydrating throughout the day and using the chill bottles. I'm a light sweater, which is probably why I'm having problems. Yesterday was around 93° and I started having issues after about 45 minutes and I'm skipping a race tonight since it will be around 100°.

I know there are cooling beanies and vests that you soak in water. I just wanted to see if anyone's had success.

retrofit
06-20-2012, 01:45 PM
Any other physical symptoms?

blantonator
06-20-2012, 01:49 PM
Nope, just a pounding headache of which intensity depends on my heart rate. I've taken NSAIDs prior to the ride with some success, but it's not something i commonly do.

MattTuck
06-20-2012, 01:52 PM
Nope, just a pounding headache of which intensity depends on my heart rate.

Have you seen a doctor about this?

blantonator
06-20-2012, 01:54 PM
Have you seen a doctor about this?

Nope, it's clearly a heat related issue. My body is telling me it's too hot, just trying to figure out how to keep it a little cooler.

charliedid
06-20-2012, 02:02 PM
Ride slower

Liv2RideHard
06-20-2012, 02:16 PM
Down here in Florida we really have to push the fluids. I used to get the same thing. Mild headaches after really intense training rides in summer. I leak like you wouldn't believe. I hydrate like mad now, esp. the night before and as soon as I wake up. Push electrolytes too man. Not just water.

jr59
06-20-2012, 02:18 PM
On real hot days, I will put in the freezer a lightly damp bandanna. Sometimes 2. I soak then in water, then wring as much as I can out, put them in a zip-lock type baggie.

In to my pocket at the start, then around my neck when I get very hot!

I also try to wear a cycling cap under the helmet, and soak that with water.

I find it's a matter of getting use to the heat. It takes a while for your body to adjust.

blantonator
06-20-2012, 02:19 PM
Down here in Florida we really have to push the fluids. I used to get the same thing. Mild headaches after really intense training rides in summer. I leak like you wouldn't believe. I hydrate like mad now, esp. the night before and as soon as I wake up. Push electrolytes too man. Not just water.

I use a bottle of heed and a bottle of water, maybe I should try Endurolytes.

67-59
06-20-2012, 02:24 PM
I use a bottle of heed and a bottle of water, maybe I should try Endurolytes.

I have been using the Skratch Labs stuff (http://www.skratchlabs.com/collections/drinks/products/exercise-hydration-mix) lately for electrolytes - lots of sodium - and it works very well.

On really hot days, I may also drink some Gatorade or Nuun before and/or after the ride. That plus lots of water makes a huge difference for me.

blantonator
06-20-2012, 02:35 PM
I have been using the Skratch Labs stuff (http://www.skratchlabs.com/collections/drinks/products/exercise-hydration-mix) lately for electrolytes - lots of sodium - and it works very well.

On really hot days, I may also drink some Gatorade or Nuun before and/or after the ride. That plus lots of water makes a huge difference for me.

awesome, I may have to try that stuff out. I have the feed zone cookbook, which i really like.

Ralph
06-20-2012, 02:40 PM
Sorta like above mentioned. I always use an old wash rag in my helmut to collect sweat. When it's real hot here in Florida, I start out with it sloppy wet. Loosen my helmet a tad to allow air to circulate around in my helmet. Kinda like air conditioning. Keeps some sun off also.

Ralph
06-20-2012, 02:46 PM
http://www.drmirkin.com/public/ezine101710.html

DR Mirkin says it's OK to drink sugar drinks when exercising. Just not before or after. That might help with head ache. You maybe have a deficiency in some electrolyte.

You might want to subscribe to his free news letter. He's an old cyclist and sports Doctor. I've learned a lot from him in a lot of areas. And....it's free.

zap
06-20-2012, 02:48 PM
Assuming decent conditioning, good diet and drinks with electrolytes should serve you well.

Most importantly, get acclimated and stay away from cold, below 80F, places.

If riding solo, ride without a helmet.

It's the best........

......and no, I don't want to hear from the safety blokes.

NSAIDS before ride :no:

Ralph
06-20-2012, 03:06 PM
Assuming decent conditioning, good diet and drinks with electrolytes should serve you well.

Most importantly, get acclimated and stay away from cold, below 80F, places.

If riding solo, ride without a helmet.

It's the best........

......and no, I don't want to hear from the safety blokes.

NSAIDS before ride :no:

Skip the NSAIDS.

http://www.drmirkin.com/public/ezine090609.html

93legendti
06-20-2012, 03:13 PM
I like a cold bandana round my neck, works well for me, but then again I like riding in the heat...

biker72
06-20-2012, 03:28 PM
Some people just need to stay out of the heat....:)
I can only ride a short time much over 95 degrees. I can't drink enough water/electrolite to keep properly hydrated.

blantonator
06-20-2012, 04:38 PM
I can only ride a short time much over 95 degrees. I can't drink enough water/electrolite to keep properly hydrated.

I hear you, but I'm a racer and my buddies love to give me flack when I skip races on hot days :)

thinpin
06-20-2012, 04:39 PM

I avoid the heat too because of headaches and cramps, my personal cut-off point is 95F. I'm not an obvious sweater but on a hot day you will loose lots to evaporation. No amount of hydration, electrolytes or moist bandanas work for me. How much heat can a skimpy wet bandana dissipate anyway?

Any evidence for this or as you say, just an opinion?

Matt-H
06-20-2012, 06:03 PM
I'm a heavy sweater and have had headaches and cramping in hot weather. Very light rides on very hot days for this non-racer. No real help on racing in heat, I know, but rest assured you're not alone. Those headaches aren't fun.

Chance
06-20-2012, 06:58 PM
How much heat can a skimpy wet bandana dissipate anyway?

Depends entirely on humidity. The goal is to replace sweating. If you sweat enough to keep your skin wet then it probably doesn't help keep you much cooler. On the other hand compared to dry skin the evaporative cooling effect can help a lot.

Didn't see where OP mentions weather conditions other than temperature. Humidity makes a difference on how to deal with problem of staying cool. My guess is that he may live in a humid area and doesn't allow enough time to acclimate to summer conditions. Normally large riders/runners have bigger problem with heat, but he stated he is small. That makes it even more unusual.

gaucho753
06-20-2012, 07:48 PM
This may sound silly, but...have your tried caffeinated drinks? I suffer from migraine headaches periodically. Still not much is known about migraines, but I do know the over-the-counter migraine aspirin contains caffeine as one of the active ingredients. It helps to reduce the blood pressure in the cerebral cortex. I'm not recommending taking migraine aspirin on a regular basis for what you are describing, but it may be worth mixing in some a Mountain Dew or the like.

blantonator
06-20-2012, 08:44 PM
I'm in the DC area. I spectated today's race, it was 98º and high humidity.

Louis
06-20-2012, 08:50 PM
Not specifically headache related, but a thread about riding / racing in the heat and a link to some info on the subject on the St Louis cycling forum:

Link Here (http://stlbiking.com/forum/index.php/topic/31231-heat-management-and-riding-and-racing-the-bicycle-in-high-temperatures/)

zap
06-21-2012, 09:46 AM
I'm in the DC area. I spectated today's race, it was 98º and high humidity.

Greenbelt?

Smart move. I'm aware of a few cases were "older" very fit cyclists passed away during races due to heat stroke.

Better safe than sorry.

blantonator
06-21-2012, 09:50 AM
Greenbelt?

Smart move. I'm aware of a few cases were "older" very fit cyclists passed away during races due to heat stroke.

Better safe than sorry.

Wednesdays @ Wakefield. Next week looks like low 80's!

zap
06-21-2012, 10:17 AM
mtb right?

I've always wanted to head down there but crossing the bridge to the great state of VA through Tysons........ugh.

killerrabbit
06-21-2012, 10:59 AM
Here in good old hot and humid south Florida, I use fizz tablets or hammer endurolytes, and drink lots of water. Haven't gotten heat stroke...yet.

avalonracing
06-21-2012, 11:10 AM
If you get a headache from the heat just drink a Slurpee™ as fast as you can... NO WAIT! Don't do that, your head with EXPLODE!
Seriously, I also think you are not hydrated enough and otherwise you should not ride in that kind of heat until you see a doc.

joep2517
06-21-2012, 11:31 AM

Thanks I'm going to up my hydration throughout the week. I thought I drank enough water during the week. I've been having headaches after rides and I've blamed it on the Florida sun.

And recently I picked up some of the Skratch Lab products. Lately my rides have been under 50 miles and I've only used 2 bottles during the ride (one water the other water + Skratch Labs Mix).