PDA

View Full Version : Stans vs. easton 90 wheels

stickville
06-20-2012, 08:41 AM
I am looking at a new set of wheels for training and light touring. I presently have a set of 10 year old American classic 350's that have been great. The American Classic wheels are pricey. I am looking at Stan's ztr comp and Easton EA 90 wheels. The Stan's wheels seem too good to be true because they are light weight and have a high spoke count. I am not interested in running tubeless.
How can the Stan's wheels be light, have a hight spoke count and less expensive than most other brands? Are the hubs low quality?

avalonracing
06-20-2012, 08:51 AM
I'm not sure about the Stans but I have three sets of the Easton 90s and I love them. The feel good and have been very reliable.

benitosan1972
06-20-2012, 09:06 AM
I tested a set of Stan's for my friends new wheel company, they were definitely lightweight, but felt like crap over normal city roads. I didn't even wanna test them on bumpy country/mountain roads. They felt cheap, flimsy, and not durable/solid... I'd rather ride American Classics, Eastons, Reynolds, Fulcrums, or Ksyriums.

I'm not exactly sure why, but I suspect a thinner aluminum rim to get te weight down, but at the expense of that solid, stable, durable feeling that I'm used to on most alloy rims. FYI, I weigh around 150-160, so if the Stan's felt like crap to me, I'm thinking they might feel worse if you are heavier (than me), just a guess.

Bob Loblaw
06-20-2012, 12:06 PM
I don't know much about Easton wheels.

One thing about Stan's, they don't use eyelets in their rims. According to their website, the rim material is up to the job without reinforcement around the nipple holes. In practice, not so much.

The wheels do not like riders near the weight limit, tend to be flexy, and in my experience do not last long under regular hard use...I have seen a rear wheel under a big strong rider fail in half a season of riding, 2-3k miles. That guy's chain lasted longer than that wheel.

BL