PDA

View Full Version : Anybody using an ISM adamo?

ultraman6970
06-19-2012, 03:57 PM
IT does work? doesnt work??

Anybody with one in the parts box?

Earl Gray
06-19-2012, 04:00 PM
By far the ugliest, most uncomfortable saddle I ever used

Way to wide.

thenewguy11
06-19-2012, 04:41 PM
I've recently switched to one on my TT bike and think its pretty comfortable in the aero position. I've never ridden it more than maybe 90 minutes or so though, and do not think its as comfortable as my Selle Anatomica road saddle for riding in a standard position.

roydyates
06-19-2012, 08:13 PM
I ride with a guy who rode 14k miles last year on an Adamo. He says it was uncomfortable for quite awhile but now he wouldn't switch to anything else.

However, it is definitely ugly.

azrider
06-19-2012, 08:45 PM
I ride with a guy who rode 14k miles last year on an Adamo. He says it was uncomfortable for quite awhile but now he wouldn't switch to anything else

Yep.

I too know of about 4 dudes who've all said the same thing. Uncomfortable as hell for first 1K but afterwards wouldn't dream of having anything else.......at least on their TT rigs.

YMMV

ultraman6970
06-19-2012, 09:03 PM
Thanks,,, looking for alternatives... looks like i need more cut out and wont be cheap :/ Looking at smp as well. I was even thinking in just grab the dremel and cut a larger hole in the spech i have.

C50
06-20-2012, 08:02 AM
I ride the Time Trial model on my TT bike and have sold and installed over a thousand of various ISM saddles on road and tri bikes. A couple of things, awesome design but liking the saddle depends on a correct placement (in the context of an overall good fit) along with knowing where to sit on the saddle (you sit far more forward on an ISM then traditional saddle) and adaptation time to the saddle. It is completely different when you have your weight being completely supported on the bone structure as oppossed to soft tissue. You will feel 'bruised' for a few rides or tender in new places but once you work through that most people would never go back. The feeling of it being too wide is generally an indication that the saddle either needs to be placed further back on the rails or needs to be lowered a few mm. Like a lot of things a small adjustment can completely change how it feels.

They have lots of models but generally speaking for a road bike the podium, breakaway, and new prologue are better choices and for aerobar positions the road, race, or tt will be better choices. With that said there is a lot of cross over between the models.

Full disclosure, I ride a Selle Italia Flite on my road bike and have since 1991 and much prefer the look on my road bike. I would never consider riding anything but an ISM with aerobars. I agree that they aren't pretty looking but thats because I am used to the style of traditional saddles, on the other hand who cares what it looks like if it allows you to ride in comfort?

ultraman6970
06-20-2012, 08:34 AM
Thanks a lot C50...

Liv2RideHard
06-20-2012, 08:42 AM
I was on an Adamo Road saddle for several months. I was properly fitted with it. At first I had to get used to the new position. I was sore on my pelvic sit bones for a while. My position is pretty agressive (slammed) and I always keep my pelvis rotated forward. I never use aero bars. I just never grew accustomed to it. I ended up with some pretty nasty and persistent saddle sores I just could not get rid of. Once I got rid of the Adamo though, they went away. This was the same case for a few of my mates. It just was not the right saddle for me. You really have to pay attention to your position when using one. You ride, at least I did, further forward towards the nose of the saddle. Some of our guys and gals swear by them. It just never agreed with my undercarriage. Keep in mind our anatomies are all different. The purpose of the Adamo is to put all the pressure on your natural sit bones and it does if fitted properly. Expect tenderness in that region as first. Also, the nose can be pinched in to dial it in further if need be. Good luck.

Guy

bluto
02-05-2013, 03:19 PM
hmmmmmm.........resurrecting this to see if anyone else might have something to add. Saw one of these at my LBS and am considering....

boconnor811
02-05-2013, 04:01 PM
I am using one on my tri bike, similar experience to those listed. I do find it comfortable riding in aero position, but it took some getting used to, and quite a few adjustments to get the position of the saddle correct. I wouldn't put it on the bike and expect it to be immediately the most comfortable saddle ever ridden, but it can be quite comfortable if you take the time to get it dialed in.

19wisconsin64
02-05-2013, 09:19 PM
two racers i have known have gotten hurt on them....racing on them before being fully used to them.

have you looked into selle smp? i ride these, love them.

1/2 Wheeler
02-06-2013, 10:30 AM
I tried one for a month that has been passed around amoungst quite a few friends. The deal is that if you ride it and like it, you get to keep it.

As far as I know, it is still being passed around.