PDA

View Full Version : Who makes Cannondale cranks? Cannondale?

54ny77
06-19-2012, 01:51 PM
How do they come up with such swank stuff as an aftermarket parts supplier?

Man, these would be drop dead gorgeous in anodized or polished silver....

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/20120619-101645.jpg

Mark McM
06-19-2012, 02:03 PM
Wow, are they doing the integrated chainring and spider concept again? With this design, you can't customize the chainring sizes (no separate inner and outer chainrings to mix and match), and in a couple of years you'll have to toss the whole crank when the special integrated chainrings go out of production.

They tried this with MTB cranks a few years ago, and they disappeared almost as fast as the appeared.

Jawn P
06-19-2012, 02:07 PM
Wow, are they doing the integrated chainring and spider concept again? With this design, you can't customize the chainring sizes (no separate inner and outer chainrings to mix and match), and in a couple of years you'll have to toss the whole crank when the special integrated chainrings go out of production.

They tried this with MTB cranks a few years ago, and they disappeared almost as fast as the appeared.

It appears those rings are 3rd party.

With my SISL, I swap a compact road spider for my cross bike, and a sram XX spider for my MTB. Twice as useful :-D

Whoop: stealth edit. Seems they're rocking the one piece spider ring combo now. Stiff I'm sure, but man that'll be pricey.

bikerboy337
06-19-2012, 02:10 PM
they make the sisl cranks....I love mine, but I rock different rings....the sisls are so nice...I know they make em in silver, not sure about the sisl2 though...and they're only bb30 fyi...

Grant McLean
06-19-2012, 02:46 PM
http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/06/19/new-484g-hollowgram-sisl-crankset-from-cannondale-w-one-piece-chainrings/

BobbyJones
06-19-2012, 03:15 PM
If I recall, this is also the first time available in 165mm.

I'm stoked.

zap
06-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Cool looking crankset.

Goes back to the Magic Motorcycle days. I think Cannondale acquired the rights back in '94.

I had a road crank (at that time branded CODA) but the outboard bearing design drove me nuts.

http://mombat.org/MOMBAT/BikeHistoryPages/Magic_Motorcycle.html

Joe Remi
06-19-2012, 08:10 PM
It looks like a Rally Car rim. I don't need my cranks to have extra arms so they look like a Rally Car rim.

oldpotatoe
06-20-2012, 07:41 AM
How do they come up with such swank stuff as an aftermarket parts supplier?

Man, these would be drop dead gorgeous in anodized or polished silver....

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/20120619-101645.jpg

Until you wear a chainring out, that is...

54ny77
06-20-2012, 09:13 AM
Yeah i can't quite figure out how it all goes together. basically a giant combo chainring/spider that bolts to separate crankarms?

In terms of price, it's not like DA or Red or Campy chainrings are cheap either, but I'd imagine those Cannondale items are a pretty penny.

One of the coolest looking (in my opinion) crank ideas out there that I've seen is the THM M3 carbon crank "system", which are the arms (about $800), a carbon spider plate ($140) that bolts to the arms and is avail in 110 or 130 bcd, and you can run whatever appropriate chainrings you'd like (Praxis, Stronglight, etc.). Swapping out a regular vs. compact setup is as easy as unbolting & rebolting the new spider & rings, and throwing on an appropriate sized chain. A buddy of mine is waiting for one, we can't wait to see what it looks like in person. The only bummer about that setup is, again, price (and the need to have 2 chains at the ready). If the cost could come down at least 50% and be made in regular alu., it would be really sweet.

Mark McM
06-20-2012, 09:59 AM
One of the coolest looking (in my opinion) crank ideas out there that I've seen is the THM M3 carbon crank "system", which are the arms (about $800), a carbon spider plate ($140) that bolts to the arms and is avail in 110 or 130 bcd, and you can run whatever appropriate chainrings you'd like (Praxis, Stronglight, etc.). Swapping out a regular vs. compact setup is as easy as unbolting & rebolting the new spider & rings, and throwing on an appropriate sized chain. A buddy of mine is waiting for one, we can't wait to see what it looks like in person. The only bummer about that setup is, again, price (and the need to have 2 chains at the ready). If the cost could come down at least 50% and be made in regular alu., it would be really sweet.

You mean like the Surly Mr. Whirly or the TA Carmina? Both the Mr. Whirly and the Carmina are aluminum cranks which have interchangeable spiders available in a variety of bolt BCD patterns, which can be mated with arms that come in a variety of different lengths.

The Mr. Whirly has arm lengths of 165m, 170mm, 175mm, 180mm and 185mm and spiders bolt BCD patterns of 94mm/58mm, 104mm/58mm, or 110mm/58mm:

http://surlybikes.com/uploads/parts/CR0034.jpg

The Carmina has arm lengths of 155mm, 160mm, 162.5mm, 165mm, 167.5mm, 170mm, 172.5mm, 175mm, 177.5mm, 180mm & 180mm, and spider bolt BCD patterns of 130mm double, 130mm/74mm triple, 110mm double, 110mm/74mm triple, 94mm double, and 94mm/58mm triple:

http://peterwhitecycles.com/images/products/Cranks/carmina.jpg

Nooch
06-20-2012, 10:06 AM

why would this be such an issue? you undo the lockring and change out the rings... sure, it'll probably cost more than a traditional ring, but it's not like it's not replaceable..

54ny77
06-20-2012, 10:34 AM
I've never seen this, it looks awesome! And the double ring spider is silver (triple is black). I was all set to order it until I kept reading and saw that it took square taper bb only....

&^%$%#$!@!

http://peterwhitecycles.com/images/products/Cranks/carmina.jpg

r_mutt
06-20-2012, 11:44 AM
It looks like a Rally Car rim. I don't need my cranks to have extra arms so they look like a Rally Car rim.

despite the "extra arms", it's still one of the lightest if not the lightest crankset available. perhaps those 10 arms are stronger and lighter than using 5 larger arms.

Mark McM
06-21-2012, 09:57 AM
I've never seen this, it looks awesome! And the double ring spider is silver (triple is black). I was all set to order it until I kept reading and saw that it took square taper bb only....

&^%$%#$!@!

What's wrong with square taper BBs?

christian
06-21-2012, 09:59 AM
Too reliable and smooth?

54ny77
06-21-2012, 10:01 AM
nothing, other than i've got a handful of regular shimano external bb's.

last time i had square taper was campy and the berlin wall was still up. i know nothing of what's out there now. got any good recommendations for reasonably light and long-lasting model?

Mark McM
06-21-2012, 10:32 AM
last time i had square taper was campy and the berlin wall was still up. i know nothing of what's out there now. got any good recommendations for reasonably light and long-lasting model?

Campagnolo still makes square taper BBs in 102mm, 111mm and 115.5mm

I've had good luck with Phil Wood BBs, which are available in wide varieties of lengths (102mm - 155mm) and tapers (Campy/ISO, JIS, JIS low profile), and cup threads (English, Italian, French, Swiss, Raleigh, Chater Lea). The titanium model (the one I've been using) weighs only 145 gm.

zap
06-21-2012, 10:38 AM
That's what I use, PW ti/mag and ti/carbon bb.

It's all older now but the pw bb's still function as new and certainly better than the external bb's I have on some bikes.

Hope square is cool again soon so us fans can get some cool new campy cranks.

oldpotatoe
06-22-2012, 07:43 AM
why would this be such an issue? you undo the lockring and change out the rings... sure, it'll probably cost more than a traditional ring, but it's not like it's not replaceable..

I just don't understand the idea that when you wear out a small ring, you throw the big ring away also. Market, whizbangery driven, not really function or riding performance. Like a lot of things 'bicycle' these days.

binxnyrwarrsoul
06-22-2012, 03:04 PM

Absolutely nothing.

r_mutt
06-22-2012, 05:21 PM
aren't campy track cranks square taper?

Jeff N.
06-22-2012, 05:41 PM
Anyone remember the old Magic Motorcycle cranks? Jeff N.

rphetteplace
06-23-2012, 12:45 AM
Too reliable and smooth?

that's my nickname :O

oldpotatoe
06-23-2012, 08:18 AM
aren't campy track cranks square taper?

yep, still are. As are some of the best track cranks still is use, like the Sugino 75. Long and 'interesting' story as we went from a 'system(square taper)' that was in use, successfully, for 50 years or so to a wad of 'standards' in BBs, none of which answer any question or solve any problem. Market driven.

IMHO..yes, yes, I will hear the 'lighter, stiffer' crowd chime on but that implies the older designs were 'heavy and soft', which they were not.