Good thing Campy is rebuildable!

Nooch
06-19-2012, 10:01 AM
SRAM wouldn't have done that...

(LOL)

:banana::bike::banana::fight::banana:

54ny77
06-19-2012, 10:37 AM
4 out of 5 bike frames prefer the taste of italian parts.

MattTuck
06-19-2012, 10:45 AM
that BLOWS.

Do you know the cause? I'm guessing the carbon didn't fail during JRA.

To my [limited] understanding of engineering, I'm surprised it failed at that point, which I would have thought would be the strongest point of that member. I'd think failure would be at the interface with another part, ie. where there is a pivot or screw hole, or changing forces are applied.

AngryScientist
06-19-2012, 10:50 AM
ouch. that wasnt spiderman's was it? he has a history of such things.

Clydesdale
06-19-2012, 10:58 AM
that BLOWS.

Do you know the cause? I'm guessing the carbon didn't fail during JRA.

To my [limited] understanding of engineering, I'm surprised it failed at that point, which I would have thought would be the strongest point of that member. I'd think failure would be at the interface with another part, ie. where there is a pivot or screw hole, or changing forces are applied.

Happened on a downhill and I'm pretty sure a stick got caught up initially and shoved the der into the spokes. I found the rest of the cage and pulleys on the trail uphill from where I got it stopped and I think it just basically ripped the carbon apart when the cage got into the wheel.

Losing the rear der is not good, but the hanger is not bent so it could have been way worse. Wheel is bent pretty good but not ruined so a new chain and a new der should get it back on the trail. Kind of an expensive ride :eek:

fourflys
06-19-2012, 10:59 AM

(LOL)

beat me to it!

Clydesdale
06-19-2012, 11:01 AM
ouch. that wasnt spiderman's was it? he has a history of such things.

But same trail about 1/2 mile from where spidey did the same thing. Luckily my mishap didn't move the der hanger like his did.

temeyone
06-19-2012, 11:11 AM
Sounds like luck was on your side, given the frame wasn't damaged. I had a friend shift in the spokes a few years ago and it not only ripped the dropout in half, but cracked along the stay as well. No bueno.

AngryScientist
06-19-2012, 11:25 AM
this confirms that if i were ever to have a trail/cross bike custom made for me, a replaceable RD hanger would be a must.

old fat man
06-19-2012, 11:32 AM
this confirms that if i were ever to have a trail/cross bike custom made for me, a replaceable RD hanger would be a must.

last time i broke the rear derailleur on my cx bike, i broke the hanger and bent the chain too. replaceable hanger is not necessarily the cure.

chuckred
06-19-2012, 11:49 AM
On the road though, tried to shift under pressure at the start of a steep climb and somehow the chain wrapped and pulled the derailleur around likethat. Bent the steel drop out, which was bent back into shape with no problem.

Never did figure out what made it do that, but there weren't any sticks around!

roguedog
06-19-2012, 12:45 PM
oof.. blehhh...

glad all is ok... 'cept the rd of course.

jblande
06-19-2012, 12:49 PM
Sorry this happened.
If you need a replacement 10s RD, drop me a PM. I have a Record one in the garage I have been meaning to sell.

67-59
06-19-2012, 12:50 PM
On the road though, tried to shift under pressure at the start of a steep climb and somehow the chain wrapped and pulled the derailleur around likethat. Bent the steel drop out, which was bent back into shape with no problem.

Never did figure out what made it do that, but there weren't any sticks around!

Darn squirrels....:eek:

tv_vt
06-19-2012, 03:45 PM
Nice Campy "Rec" derailleur there. Think it's supposed to be spelled 'Wreck' though.

ultraman6970
06-19-2012, 04:03 PM
yes, sram would have snapped the whole dropout in a half :)

(LOL)

bobhufford
06-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Darn squirrels....:eek:Might have been a raccoon. My sister had a run in with one (it ran from the side of the road into her rear wheel and shoved the derailleur through it). Somehow she didn't go down. It was much less expensive that the OP's though. :eek:

Bob

maunahaole
06-19-2012, 04:33 PM
I blame Mr. Squirrel. That effer is always messing up someone's ride.

Joel
06-20-2012, 07:12 AM
Had a similar incident last year. Was going down a hill and a piece of scrap metal fell out of truck that passed me.

Picked it up somehow through the rear wheel. Jammed the real wheel solid. Was ---skidding ---sideways down the hill. Ready to eject - but got it under control.

Piece of metal was wound through the back wheel, chain and RD. Snapped the RD back and somehow the Kysrium wheel did not even snap a spoke (that day at least - it blew apart two weeks later). Took me 15 minutes to unbend the metal piece just to get it out of gears and back wheel.

No fun and expensive...

temeyone
06-20-2012, 08:04 AM
:eek:Had a similar incident last year. Was going down a hill and a piece of scrap metal fell out of truck that passed me.

Picked it up somehow through the rear wheel. Jammed the real wheel solid. Was ---skidding ---sideways down the hill. Ready to eject - but got it under control.

Piece of metal was wound through the back wheel, chain and RD. Snapped the RD back and somehow the Kysrium wheel did not even snap a spoke (that day at least - it blew apart two weeks later). Took me 15 minutes to unbend the metal piece just to get it out of gears and back wheel.

No fun and expensive...