PDA

View Full Version : aluminum braking surface??

BlackTiBob
06-18-2012, 12:38 PM
Hi,
is it best to keep an aluminum clincher wheel braking surface
-as clean as possible (bright aluminum color) OR
- leave a LITTLE brake pad residue (black layer) ??

I have always kept the brake surface (and pad surface) as clean as possible, cleaning lightly after every ride.
However, in searching out best practice for new CAR brakes it is recommended by most experts that one should apply the brakes very firmly (from 60 mph to 15 mph) several times in succession to deposit a thin layer of brake pad material to the brake rotor.
The reasoning is ----"The best braking occurs when there is an even layer of of pad material deposited across the rotors. This minimizes squealing, increases braking torque, and maximizes pad and rotor life".

I keep my bike rims shiney aluminum clean BUT should one leave a little brake pad residue??

Thanks for any comments.

Bob Loblaw
06-18-2012, 12:46 PM
Clean is better for bike rims. Cars use disc brakes which use different compounds and operate at much higher temperatures than bicycle rim brakes. A clean braking surface (and grit-free pads) makes for a long service life and smooth, predictable braking.

You don't say what you use to clean the braking surface, but petroleum products can leave a residue. Clean all the crud off with simple green or whatever, and then use rubbing alcohol and a clean cloth.

BL

cfox
06-18-2012, 12:47 PM
I think you are worrying about it too much. Bikes are vehicles and are bombarded with dust and dirt the second you start pedaling. They don't need to be surgically clean. I wipe off my brake pads in case they've picked up grit or little rocks in the grooves, but I've never once 'polished' my braking surfaces. I mean, if I am washing my bike they get wiped down, but I've never tried to scrub any pad residue off. At least on their carbon rims, Campagnolo expressly states not to clean the pad residue off.

Jaq
06-18-2012, 05:49 PM
It depends on the rim. Carbon rims, no.

Alloy rims, no.

Alloy rims with machined sidewalls, yes, but very carefully. Machined sidewalls are very narrow grooves cut by a machine. If you clean them backwards, you will discover that when they rain comes, they run and hide their heads.

AgilisMerlin
06-19-2012, 06:50 AM
Armor All, Pledge, turtle wax wet/dry spray etc.

clean bike, including wheels, tires. all the same. never water etc..

have stayed away from shimano pads because of inherent unavoidable ability(knack) to imbed flecks of aluminum in pads ruining countless wheelset braking surfaces - over countless years.

koolstopsalmon <-- i love U :eek: like like like a lot

Chance
06-19-2012, 07:58 AM
Hi,
is it best to keep an aluminum clincher wheel braking surface
-as clean as possible (bright aluminum color) OR
- leave a LITTLE brake pad residue (black layer) ??

Moderate cleaning should be OK but excessive cleaning to make them shinny (if that’s what you mean by “bright”, not sure) may help wear them out faster. Aluminum can form a protective oxide layer which probably shouldn’t be removed constantly by polishing or scrubbing excessively. Although hard braking probably removes much of it anyway. Don’t see why normal cleaning with solutions and a soft rag or sponge should hurt anything.

My bikes normally only get a little soap and water to clean rims when washing bike. Seems to work good enough.

false_Aest
06-19-2012, 09:15 AM
brah,

wash your rims and brakes when you wash your bike.

otherwise you're cutting into valuable riding time.