PDA

View Full Version : is it cool to refill bottles at the LBS ?

AngryScientist
06-18-2012, 11:50 AM
When out in unfamiliar territory, is it cool to stop at an LBS and ask to fill up water bottles without buying anything?

what say you?

Ken Robb
06-18-2012, 11:55 AM
You bet. I think shops want to do all they can to encourage cycling and they certainly hope you might buy something from them some time. Also consider how often forumites ask for shop recommendations when they are away from home. Wouldn't you suggest the shop you visited when you filled your bottles?

MattTuck
06-18-2012, 12:00 PM
If it's saturday morning the shop is busy, it is an insult to ask for water, IMO.

I vote 'no' for this one, unless it's Tuesday morning and the shop is dead. Stop at a convenience store and buy a gallon of water, fill up your bottles, and toss the rest. if you're riding with a group, there may not be any left.

If the place has a sink, you could ask them to fill your bottle while you buy something to munch on.

Be a mensch, not a mooch.

tuxbailey
06-18-2012, 12:09 PM
The LBS near by has a sign that say "come in and refill your bottle!"

FlashUNC
06-18-2012, 12:19 PM
One local LBS here has a water filter system right up front for folks to stop by and use.

I don't see the harm.

AngryScientist
06-18-2012, 12:21 PM
lots of LBS also have a water spigot right outside the shop for refills on the go, those are a no-brainer.

i do always feel a little sleezy about doing it at a shop i dont know, and usually wind up at least buying a pouch of drink mix to go in my water:)

Bob Loblaw
06-18-2012, 01:04 PM
I say it's fine, unless the place is super busy. Most shop guys are riders too, they will help you out. And as someone else has said, if the shop impresses you favorably, you'd probably recommend them to someone in the area and remember them if you're around and need a fix or a tube. So it's a cheap investment of sorts in word of mouth business for them.

BL

biker72
06-18-2012, 01:40 PM
When out in unfamiliar territory, is it cool to stop at an LBS and ask to fill up water bottles without buying anything?

what say you?

Of course. There is always a chance you might buy something. Water is cheap..:)

David Kirk
06-18-2012, 01:43 PM
My retail shop had water, air and a few simple snacks for riders to take. We are after all trying to promote folks using the bikes and at the same time would like them in the shop so they can fall in lust with something and take it home.

It's just good service IMO.

dave

Nooch
06-18-2012, 01:50 PM
We always have poland spring bottles for our customer's, and a fruit basket.. take what you need!

Louis
06-18-2012, 01:57 PM
Any LBS that's too busy to take the 2 seconds it would require to point to me a faucet or sink I can use to refill is an LBS that won't ever see a penny of my money.

Only caveat: If someone does this all the time (stops by to fill up) but never reciprocates by buying something, anything, that would be bad karma.

redir
06-18-2012, 02:18 PM
I really can't imagine being a shop owner and not allowing some cyclist off the street to fill up with water. My local shop has a fountain for filling bottles and welcome anyone in. Why would this even be something to consider? :dunno:

dustyrider
06-18-2012, 02:36 PM
I'd be sure to ask first, but I've never been refused water from anyone, anywhere. In this great country of ours some people water their lawns with potable water, a water bottle is not a big deal, universally speaking.

David Kirk
06-18-2012, 03:32 PM
I'd be sure to ask first, but I've never been refused water from anyone, anywhere. In this great country of ours some people water their lawns with potable water, a water bottle is not a big deal, universally speaking.

I had a ride go long - very long - many years ago and I ran dry a long way from home and I stopped into a tavern/bar/club in the middle of nowhere. Nothing else around. Quiet afternoon. I walked in making the clippity cloppity noise and asked for water and everyone turned toward me and glared a hole through me. The bar tender said 'no' and I didn't argue. I left without water but with a pulse and that felt like a good compromise IMO.

I found someone watering their lawn a few miles down the road and they gave me water and a PB & J.

Most people are good - a few less so.

dave

gearguywb
06-18-2012, 03:48 PM
If bike shops don't do what they can to help promote cycling then we are in a no win environment.

pdmtong
06-18-2012, 04:53 PM
Do you really think a bike shop is going to say "NO" if you politely ask if you can refill your bottle?

AngryScientist
06-18-2012, 05:04 PM
Do you really think a bike shop is going to say "NO" if you politely ask if you can refill your bottle?

of course not, that wasnt really what i was asking. i just get a little twinge of guilt if i stop in a bike shop i've never been to, ask for water and leave. i know it's generally fine practice, but just wondering how others feel about it.

HenryA
06-18-2012, 05:31 PM
of course not, that wasnt really what i was asking. i just get a little twinge of guilt if i stop in a bike shop i've never been to, ask for water and leave. i know it's generally fine practice, but just wondering how others feel about it.

They are complete dimwits if they do anything but graciously fill or allow you to fill your bottles and thank you for stopping in. I'd say you're never wrong stopping for water at a bike shop.

Fixed
06-18-2012, 07:02 PM
If they have a refrigerator
Cheers

Viper
06-18-2012, 07:11 PM
Dude, hang out on park benches and let people buy you bagels and coffee like me. Inside tip: riding Campy helps. :banana: For serious though, seriously, while nobody likes a mooch, people <3 Moocher:

http://www.noozhawk.com/images/uploads/630-1-Breaking_Away.jpg

There's enough threads and posts about LBS + Beer, which I think is ridic. You need water? Ask anyone. I do. I ask dudes watering their lawns for a fill-up and recently had a fireman washing his car outside the fire house refuse to give me hose-water and gave me tap water; it wasn't the water that mattered it's how how he gave it that did. Air, water and 90's Playboy magazines, let them be free!

:beer:

Muttleyone
06-18-2012, 07:14 PM
I stopped into a tavern/bar/club in the middle of nowhere. Nothing else around. Quiet afternoon. I walked in making the clippity cloppity noise and asked for water and everyone turned toward me and glared a hole through me. The bar tender said 'no' and I didn't argue. I left without water but with a pulse and that felt like a good compromise IMO.

dave

Why did I have visions of Pee Wee's Big Adventure's bar scene while reading this? LOL

Mutt

oldpotatoe
06-19-2012, 07:48 AM

what say you?

of course, it's like air..free in the republic.

MattTuck
06-19-2012, 07:50 AM
I misunderstood the question. If the shop has facilities, then yes, I think it is appropriate.

I thought we were asking a sales associate to go into the staff bathroom to fill up your bottles for you. I'd rather just buy a bottle in that situation.

oldpotatoe
06-19-2012, 07:50 AM
If it's saturday morning the shop is busy, it is an insult to ask for water, IMO.

I vote 'no' for this one, unless it's Tuesday morning and the shop is dead. Stop at a convenience store and buy a gallon of water, fill up your bottles, and toss the rest. if you're riding with a group, there may not be any left.

If the place has a sink, you could ask them to fill your bottle while you buy something to munch on.

My aunt matilda's mustache, an INSULT, saying what I sell is junque is an insult, asking for water, YGBSM..it's NOT a big deal, busy or not. Ask, I point to water thing..Why on earth would it be a good idea for a shop person to get pissey when somebody asks for water.

I even let people use my.....bathroom, horrors!! without buying anything OMG!!

djg
06-19-2012, 07:58 AM
My lbs has water right up front.

Asking is asking. Whether they're busy or not, a quick, politely put question about a source of water -- or a can, for that matter -- seems pretty far from objectionable to me. They get to answer the question any way they want. If I were running a shop, I'd welcome the opportunity to establish a friendly relationship with a potential customer, or reference, with a 10-second chat about a sink/water fountain/cooler that's just down that hall or around that corner.

rustychisel
06-19-2012, 08:03 AM
in this part of the world you wouldn't last long without a simple courtesy of fresh water. And the person who denied you wouldn't last long, either.

benitosan1972
06-19-2012, 08:50 AM
Any decent LBS that wants to remain in good reputation amongst it's own cycling community should provide air/water/fire (haha) for free of charge... if they are too busy, just wait or whatever, but to deny this basic service (it's not even that much of a service, more like courtesy or need) just stinks. There are prolly a few shops around here that would make you buy a $5 bottle of Rapha water or 100psi's of imported Himilayan air, but I would assume most shops wouldn't think twice about obliging, that is, if you are courteous and polite in your request... those that are rude or pushy or too demanding, like "well while I'm here could you lube my chain & adjust my RD?" yeah, get rid of them ;)

saab2000
06-19-2012, 08:56 AM
Any shop that does not have water/air capabilities and an inviting atmosphere for cyclists to stop by during a ride is not worthy of my business. Even better if they have a cooler with Gatorade and other drinks to sell. Then it'll become a destination.

pdmtong
06-19-2012, 08:57 AM

NP...I get that. But, you are on a bike and its a bike shop...so dont feel guilty. After all, it's just water. You wouldn feel guilty walking into Burger King and filling your bottle, right?

temeyone
06-19-2012, 11:15 AM
Having someone else fill the bottle for you is a PITA and shouldn't be done, but a shop that refuses to let you fill a bottle is doing it wrong. I've caught that vibe before, and never returned to the shop. Bike shops should be good-vibey places.

1happygirl
06-19-2012, 12:17 PM
Having someone else fill the bottle for you is a PITA and shouldn't be done, but a shop that refuses to let you fill a bottle is doing it wrong. I've caught that vibe before, and never returned to the shop. Bike shops should be good-vibey places.
Hmmm.. IDK, I believe in customer service and trying to earn your business.
As others have said, I'm also promoting cycling and you are riding and coming into the shop.
Maybe down the road you will buy a tube from me or recommend my shop to others.

IDK as I'm not in the business, but I have spent tons over the years on stuff and a bike shop that sees it as a PITA to fill a bottle or makes me feel uncomfortable hanging out, has lost a ton of my future and present business.

1happygirl
06-19-2012, 12:21 PM

I kinda do, but how many ppl on a ride feel uncomfortable stopping at the local mom and pop or MCDs just to use the bathroom? Or at the mall popping into a store for bathroom.

jvp
06-19-2012, 12:34 PM
A few months ago I was riding the parkway in Asheville NC, up to Mt. Pisgah. Once there I discovered the Mt. Pisgah Inn was essentially closed and I would not refill my bottles as I had planned. So I rode ~25 miles back down to Asheville w/ no water. Not too bad since it was mostly descent. I turned off to stop by Liberty Cycles just off the parkway and asked to fill my bottles. They were very nice (but busy) and showed me the water fountain. While there I eyeballed their stock and nice selection of bikes. I usually make a small purchase when I go into a new-to-me bike store but that time I didn't. I also left my bike in there while I walked over to starbucks for a latte' and a pastry, they didn't seem to mind that either. I had the impression I wasn't the first to do that either.

oldpotatoe
06-19-2012, 05:44 PM
Any shop that does not have water/air capabilities and an inviting atmosphere for cyclists to stop by during a ride is not worthy of my business. Even better if they have a cooler with Gatorade and other drinks to sell. Then it'll become a destination.

Any decent bike shop has air, water and beer in the fridge..always free at Vecchio's

oldpotatoe
06-19-2012, 05:45 PM
NP...I get that. But, you are on a bike and its a bike shop...so dont feel guilty. After all, it's just water. You wouldn feel guilty walking into Burger King and filling your bottle, right?

Nope, I have had people ask me if it's allright to bring their bike inside..bike shop, bikes all over, yep, OK to bring the bike inside....have a beer...........

Louis
06-19-2012, 05:50 PM
Any decent bike shop has air, water and beer in the fridge..always free at Vecchio's

Party in Boulder!!! :beer::beer::beer:

oldpotatoe
06-20-2012, 07:33 AM
Party in Boulder!!! :beer::beer::beer:

Depends on the day, some times we attack the fridge earlier than other days.

retail does that to you sometimes.

My latest 'gripe' was the Colnago-EPS build. Regardless of the fact that every part came MO, Ernesto needs to build a few of these to at least see how big the stinking holes need to be. Yep, they were too small for the connectors or the wee rubber grommets to cover those same holes plus their exit hole under the BB was too narrow. BUT carbon, meet awl...pretty easy.

merlinmurph
06-20-2012, 11:51 AM
I even let people use my.....bathroom, horrors!! without buying anything OMG!!
So, I've been doing biz with my LBS for ~15 years now. A few years ago, I made a visit mostly to socialize, and had to take a leak, so I asked where the bathroom was. It was then that I finally discovered that they don't have one. :eek: I was directed to the tree just around the back. Too funny.

Ken Robb
06-20-2012, 04:54 PM
So, I've been doing biz with my LBS for ~15 years now. A few years ago, I made a visit mostly to socialize, and had to take a leak, so I asked where the bathroom was. It was then that I finally discovered that they don't have one. :eek: I was directed to the tree just around the back. Too funny.

And if you need to leave something solid do they hand you a spade?

SteveV0983
06-20-2012, 05:15 PM
My LBS has a water cooler and anyone can stop in at any time and fill it up on their own. Everyone there is always happy to see cyclists come in. Even if they are busy and it is only for water, they always make and effort to acknowledge you and point you to the cooler if you don't know where it is.

I have also stopped at Fire Stations when desperate and they were always more than happy to help me out.

old iron rider
06-20-2012, 06:24 PM
And if you need to leave something solid do they hand you a spade?

I was wondering the same thing. And the employees use? Health dept issues here. Not sure I want to be shakin hands with the LBS with no bathroom facilities.

Louis
06-20-2012, 06:39 PM
Liquid only diet - Cytomax and Heed.

RIHans
06-20-2012, 10:29 PM

Sorry Matt...

I call BS.

I have worked in bike shops on and off pretty much my whole adult
life.

Making someone who needs a drink, buy something is not what bike shops and customer service are all about.

Really, say no to water?

Open a bodega dude. Bad form.

CaliFly
06-20-2012, 10:57 PM

BAH! I should have asked for that beer this afternoon! Thanks for the time, brother. :)

1happygirl
06-21-2012, 01:42 AM
Nope, I have had people ask me if it's allright to bring their bike inside..bike shop, bikes all over, yep, OK to bring the bike inside....have a beer...........
you're the man op! alway kind and GREAT customer service!
Sounds like my kinda shop....:banana:

oldpotatoe
06-21-2012, 07:29 AM
BAH! I should have asked for that beer this afternoon! Thanks for the time, brother. :)

Ya didn't see the one I had opened? Always in the fridge, no need to ask.

Ti Designs
06-21-2012, 08:08 AM
My shop is a rather old building, the plumbing in there is a collection of really bad plumbing jobs done over the last 120 years. It's a combination of iron, brass and copper tubing, lined with sludge. Having seen the same sort of thing in my house when I bought it, and having replaced every inch of it at home, I honestly wouldn't drink what comes out of the tap at my bike shop.

That said, we do have a sink - don't mind the rust stains or the slightly orange water, and what's floating in the orange water isn't pulp...