PDA

View Full Version : Motorola Motoactv

Richard
06-18-2012, 10:11 AM
Anyone here use one or know anything about it? Seems that for around $+/- $300, it could serve as HR monitor, bike computer, running computer, music player, with an online storage analysis site. Would need a Razr or Droid 4 to make best use of, but I have one of those already.

jgspin
06-18-2012, 03:09 PM
I have one. As a disclaimer I got it for free as a tester. It's a pretty good MP3 player. The wired ear buds double as an antenna so you can listen to FM radio. I haven't acquired a bluetooth ear piece so I can't comment on the wireless function. As a bike computer, it is also quite useful. It displays the speed but there is a .3 to .5 mph difference from my wired powertap bike computer. I don't know which speed is right. You can have up to 4 metrics to display at the same time. I am using speed, current time, elapsed time and distance. You can also choose others such as watts, cadence, heart rate, laps...etc. It came with a wrist holder so you can use it as a regular watch and pedometer. It also has a clip on holder so you can use it for running. The map is quite small on the screen so it just shows the general area. The max time I've had it running is about 5.5 hrs on the bike before the battery fully discharged. Although I haven't used it, it has a golf function that has maps of courses so you will know the distance to the hole from where you stand.

Richard
06-19-2012, 09:01 AM
Thanks. Maybe a simple question, maybe not. Would you be satisfied using it as your sole biking and running computer/ data tracker in lieu of other devices? I am not overly concerned about reading maps while riding so that issue is moot.

jgspin
06-19-2012, 04:43 PM
Thanks. Maybe a simple question, maybe not. Would you be satisfied using it as your sole biking and running computer/ data tracker in lieu of other devices? I am not overly concerned about reading maps while riding so that issue is moot.

If I could improve it I would have at least 6 metrics showing simultaneously; watts, speed, cadence, HR, elapsed time, and current time. Also 5 hrs battery run time is not long enough; 8 should be minimum. It should easily sync with other phones not just those with android OS.

My biggest gripe would be the battery. It just doesn't last long enough for the rides I do; 5+ hrs at a time. I spoke to the motorola project manager and he is saying that they may come out with an extra battery that sits between the device and the tray to extend the run time. Also the tray that cradles the device needs to be more robust. I have a couple of friends tell me that their device slid off the tray when they were toggling between the screens. I do like the ability to take it off my bike and use it on my wrist as a watch and MP3. It has a battery saver that turns off the screen and when you shake your wrist a couple of times and lift it up to see, it turns on and displays the time, kind of slick. I would probably like it more if I had an android phone, an ant+ power meter and played golf. With an android phone, you can listen to MP3s from the Motoactv and if the phone rings the motoactv will notify you if a call comes in. With those criteria taken care of it would be my ideal bike computer.

dsimon
06-19-2012, 06:54 PM
I have one and really like Im in the Military and use it for running and cycling also heres a link to someone who test them out and I think his reviews are very good.

www.dcrainmaker.com/

Richard
06-19-2012, 08:15 PM
Thanks to both of you. I may take the plunge as it seems to do all or what I want on the bike and doubles as a running watch/hr monitor. I do have an android phone so I cna take advantage of those features, too. Great review site, BTW.