PDA

View Full Version : A new fashion statement in booties

LesMiner
06-18-2012, 08:10 AM
While riding a century yesterday, we ran into rain at mile 64. One of those short cloud burst things. We stopped at a supermarket to get out of the rain. The rain stopped and the sky began to clear. These 3 guys in the picture wanted to avoid getting their shoes wet. So they got plastic bags from the store and tied them over their feet. It did look ridiculous.
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s126/LesMiner/ShoeBags1.jpg
It did not work well because it would foul up the chain. Being loose, they would flap in the wind and slow you down. Not a good situation. Back out on the road, the pavement began to dry up so road spray was not a real problem.

jr59
06-18-2012, 08:38 AM
I would bet that it was also hot!

goonster
06-18-2012, 08:38 AM
Every randonneur worth his salt knows that keeping your feet dry is more important than keeping your shoes dry, so the supermarket grocery bags go inside the shoe.

benitosan1972
06-18-2012, 08:39 AM
Soes are made to get scuffed, dirty, and abused... yes, even the $500 Rapha yak leather ones, haha :banana:

christian
06-18-2012, 08:41 AM
These 3 guys in the picture wanted to avoid getting their shoes wet.Well, they could ride a turbo trainer and watch a movie?

jr59
06-18-2012, 08:42 AM
Every randonneur worth his salt knows that keeping your feet dry is more important than keeping your shoes dry, so the supermarket grocery bags go inside the shoe.

Most also know the value of fenders!

cfox
06-18-2012, 08:51 AM
the green jersey looks more ridiculous than the baggies

BumbleBeeDave
06-18-2012, 09:11 AM
. . . for a Tour Green Jersey winner, then it's good enough for me! :D

Seriously, though, desperate conditions merit desperate solutions. They get points in my book for trying.

BBD

FlashUNC
06-18-2012, 09:18 AM
They should get some trash bags as gilets.

false_Aest
06-18-2012, 09:21 AM
is the dude in the best buy jersey wearing a fanny pack?
is that fanny pack blocking access to his jersey pockets?

nebraskacycling
06-18-2012, 09:22 AM
I like his Bianchi though and am glad to see it is actually getting ridden rather than collecting dust. I can't imagine putting bags over my shoes though...

LesMiner
06-18-2012, 09:45 AM
The dude in the Best Buy jersey is wearing a fanny pack. He typically keeps it front. It is a little odd but that is his alternative to a back pack. First time he has been on one of my centuries.

The guy in the green jersey riding the Bianche is a real diesel, he likes to pull.

AngryScientist
06-18-2012, 09:53 AM
The dude in the Best Buy jersey is wearing a fanny pack. He typically keeps it front.

i simply can not imagine wearing a fanny pack in the front on a road bike. sounds wildly uncomfortable.

William
06-18-2012, 09:59 AM
They're riding. That's cool in my book.:cool:

William

MattTuck
06-18-2012, 10:05 AM
Riding a century is nothing to laugh at.

Plastic bags on their feet, however, are.

I'm guessing these guys don't prescribe to the Belgian hard man philosophy of cycling.

Still, good on them for riding a century.

EDS
06-18-2012, 10:28 AM

If it is warm enough to ride in shorts/shortsleeves I am guessing foot warmth is a non-ssue.

Why stop because of the rain at all?

tuxbailey
06-18-2012, 12:18 PM
What are you guys doing by mocking fellow cyclists?

I bet this thread will get locked :rolleyes: :banana: :banana:

Bob Loblaw
06-18-2012, 12:58 PM
A short cloudburst, and they went to a store and did that?

If they were my riding buddies, I would be giving them no end of grief for numerous Rule 5 (http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/) violations in that picture alone.

BL

Fixed
06-18-2012, 01:02 PM
Live and learn
Glad the leg did not get pulled into the chain
Cheers

Black Dog
06-18-2012, 01:09 PM
We do not need to mock other cyclists, we are a parody of ourselves every time we get dressed up and ride.

;)

mtechnica
06-18-2012, 01:19 PM
but you could have just... kept going... even with wet feet :confused:

ClutchCargo
06-18-2012, 02:10 PM
omg! what nerds.

plastic bag overshoes? put aside how horrible that looks and what it says about their total lack of Rule V. I'd be worried about the plastic getting sucked into the drive train. crashes have been caused by such things.

fanny pack? it's bad enough when you see a roadie with a Camelback. but a fanny pack? Disneyworld is that way, my friend.

and, let me see, how much would they have to pay me to wear a Best Buy jersey?? what, was his Costco jersey in the wash? and, who even sells those things?

yeeesh!

ClutchCargo
06-18-2012, 02:13 PM
We do not need to mock other cyclists, we are a parody of ourselves every time we get dressed up and ride.

;)

Hey, buddy. We don't need no stinking self-analysis, here. Capisce?

;)

eippo1
06-18-2012, 02:26 PM
I can't imagine doing that for rain. Just deal with it and then put newspapers in the shoes later.

On chilly days with possible rain, I'll sometimes put lightweight booties in my jersey pocket, but I do that because I have Raynauds phenomenon and the circulation in my feet shut off if they get too cold.

Chance
06-18-2012, 02:31 PM
Rule V? Seriously?

Who are we to judge? Maybe they are tougher than they look in spite of their Best Buy jersey if they are not worried about a crash or getting their bags caught in the chain. Or they could be total morons, but why should we care? Don't get that angle at all. For all we know they may just not want to ruin their shoes because it's hard for them to replace them. Have some of you heard about some Americans having a hard time making ends meet?:confused:

Like William stated, at least they are out riding a century. That's better than most of us are doing right now.

FlashUNC
06-18-2012, 02:36 PM
FWIW, I'm being totally serious. I'm not above a trashbag gilet to get through a surprise shower.

And as others have mentioned, plastic bags totally on the inside of the shoes.

jr59
06-18-2012, 02:36 PM
Rule V? Seriously?

Who are we to judge? Maybe they are tougher than they look in spite of their Best Buy jersey if they are not worried about a crash or getting their bags caught in the chain. Or they could be total morons, but why should we care? Don't get that angle at all. For all we know they may just not want to ruin their shoes because it's hard for them to replace them. Have some of you heard about some Americans having a hard time making ends meet?:confused:

Like William stated, at least they are out riding a century. That's better than most of us are doing right now.

I'll say this, I rode a 200k on Sunday in the POURING rain. (BTW; I bonked very badly) with no bags over my shoes. :banana:

Yea, I think they need to read rule 5.

Side note; Bonking very bad when raining.:no:

rwsaunders
06-18-2012, 02:44 PM
i simply can not imagine wearing a fanny pack in the front on a road bike. sounds wildly uncomfortable.

It might be where he keeps his Glock...

Earl Gray
06-18-2012, 03:15 PM

Maybe it makes him more aero!

jgspin
06-18-2012, 03:17 PM
Although I haven't tried those on my feet I have on my hands. I was on a 20+ mile descent from Mt. Onyx on the Breathless Agony and I had to stop and pick up some plastic bags on the side of the road to cover my fingertip-less gloves cause I got so cold and my hands were getting numb.

I have a friend who keeps his tools and tubes in a fanny pack but it looks like it was made for active people. He drops me in the hills, he pulls me in the flats, and runs sub 3 hr marathons. I don't tell him he looks like a Fred. I don't even judge older cyclists anymore. Pete Penseyres drops me in the hills too. I believe he is close to 70.

bikinchris
06-18-2012, 03:40 PM
I think that every time I ever bought new shoes, I got caught in the rain. I lived. Stuff the shoes with newspaper and in the morning they are fine.

Bob Loblaw
06-18-2012, 03:51 PM
I doubt a wetting will damage cycling shoes. I speak from experience when I say they dry and are subsequently fine (although I do concede I now keep an old set of shoes for rain duty...it rains a lot here in CT).

So yes. Rule 5.

:beer:

BL

fiamme red
06-18-2012, 03:52 PM
For all we know they may just not want to ruin their shoes because it's hard for them to replace them. Have some of you heard about some Americans having a hard time making ends meet?:confused:Almost all cycling shoes today are made of synthetic materials, and don't get ruined by rain. Even my Lake kangaroo leather shoes haven't been damaged, despite being used through many hours of pouring rain.

gearguywb
06-18-2012, 04:37 PM
IMHO, too many bad things can happen with loose, baggy stuff flapping around the chain/chainrings/cranks.

MattTuck
06-18-2012, 06:25 PM
IMHO, too many bad things can happen with loose, baggy stuff flapping around the chain/chainrings/cranks.

lol. ask the clerk for some magnum sized condoms. no flapping.

Chance
06-18-2012, 10:59 PM
Almost all cycling shoes today are made of synthetic materials, and don't get ruined by rain. Even my Lake kangaroo leather shoes haven't been damaged, despite being used through many hours of pouring rain.

Probably right, but that doesn't give me the right to judge them. Nor would it give me any pleasure.

In my case riding through rain in summer when it's warm is no big deal. Getting shoes wet during a ride doesn't bother me at all. However, starting a ride with wet shoes does bother me. With multiple pairs of shoes using dry ones the next morning is no problem but if limited to only one pair maybe trying to keep them as dry as possible may make some sense. Who knows why people do what they do.

This thread reminds me a little of a good cycling friend who happens to be poor compared to most. He normally carries a thin folded large trash bag with him in his jersey pocket just in case. One day during a ride it started storming and the temperature dropped about 30 degrees, going from a little cool to very cold. Riding home in cold pouring rain he may have looked stupid in his trash bag but it kept him warmer than everyone else. Would have given him $100 or more for the stupid trash bag. Whatever works for anyone is OK by me and won't prevent me from riding with them as long as they are safe.

AgilisMerlin
06-19-2012, 04:09 PM

;)

http://www.nzonscreen.com/content/images/0000/1825/Spot-on-gallery-4.jpg.552x402.jpg

54ny77
06-19-2012, 04:21 PM
I ride with a front mounted pouch. Unfortunately, it's my gut.

And yes, it's wildly uncomfortable.

:bike: :p