PDA

View Full Version : Help: How to price/sell an uncommon frame

FastforaSlowGuy
06-17-2012, 09:10 PM
Someone tell me if I should be posting this in the Classifieds section. I'm really seeking guidance rather than buyers at this point.

I have a titanium GT that I bought off CL back in 2006. I used it to get in shape for triathlon, raced it in a bunch of tris, upgraded the parts, and now that I'm trying to unload it I'm at a loss for how to price it. I know there is a small but cult-like following for GTs, but there are so few out there I have no idea whether there is any widespread demand. It's set up now with DA 7700 (9sp) and a wired SRM. The wheels are basic training hoops from Performance Bike/Neuvation with a nearly-new set of Pro Race 3 tires.

With almost now other GT Ti frames floating around, is it fair to use Litespeed (or another Ti framemaker) as a pricing comp? I think many of GT's Ti frames were actually built by Litespeed, but of course I have no way to verify that. I just know the welds are beautiful.

With an unusual frame like this, am I better off parting this out? I'd prefer to sell it together if for no other reason than parting out a bike is a PITA.

Guidance is appreciated here.

Earl Gray
06-17-2012, 09:21 PM
Using Litespeed as a comparison seems very reasonable.

I don't think the "cult" following for these will drive the price beyond anything like a litespeed but if it's a common size you may get lucky.

texbike
06-17-2012, 09:23 PM
Cool sounding bike! It definitely would be worth more parted out given the mix of parts on it. My suggestion would be to take a number of good pictures, upload them to a photo bucket account, and post a thread in the classifieds with a link to the pics and ask the forum for it's collective feedback.

OR list the bike on eBay with the same high-quality pics, accurate description and measurements, and an artificially high reserve (non-disclosed) and let the market tell you what it is worth.

pm me if it is a 55-56! :)

Texbike

dustyrider
06-17-2012, 09:49 PM
Well it looks like there is one on the board here:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=110804

With a post by another member sharing theirs too.

This one just sold on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GT-Forte-Titanium-frame-54cm-/160820586744?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item2571a768f8

I'd love to find one of these in a 58cm, since I personally think the triple triangle is rather sweet looking myself. Though I'm more of steel man I'd give Ti a try.

I would think most folks will want just the bike frame.. alone and build it up their own way, but extra parts never hurt. The buyer can always recoup some the purchase cost if they don't intend to use them.

What fork are you running? You should share a picture of the bike!

toasttoast
06-18-2012, 02:00 AM
I think Litespeed pricing is optimistic -- for better or worse, Litespeed is the big "name" associated with Ti bikes, and GT doesn't really stack up (except for a very small handful of US olympic team stuff)... even if your GT is actually Litespeed-manufactured.

Definitely part out, selling either frame-only or frame+fork.

FastforaSlowGuy
06-18-2012, 07:28 AM
Thanks, folks.

It sounds like parting it out is probably the way to go. I'll try and get some pics up and post it over in the Classifieds in the next day or so.

For those who asked, it's a 54 and has the original Edge carbon fork. I really enjoy the bike, and if it were one size smaller there is no way I would sell it. Unfortunately, though, size matters and keeping it around just doesn't make sense.

InspectorGadget
06-18-2012, 12:10 PM
I'm curious. How much for the complete bike?

rccardr
06-18-2012, 12:31 PM
I was surprised to see that Forte frame (without a fork) go for as much as it did, but there you have it. You don't mention whether yours is a Forte or an Edge, but generally speaking the market considers polished Edge frames somewhat more desireable. And 54 is a size that fits a lot of people.

A nice polished Edge Ti frame runs $650 or so. If the 7700 group you have on there is in very nice condition (shifting is crisp, no rash on the components, decent amount of brake pad remaining) then figure $450 or so for that. A set of training hoops with Pro 3's = $200+, depending on condition and model. Add the value of the stem, bars and saddle and you're looking at either a $1200 bicycle or about $1450 in parts. Last Edge Ti with D-A I saw for sale went for about $1200, so I think those are numbers are real world.

FWIW, that's my Edge Ti with the orange wrap, saddle and Pro3's. Awesome ride. Did 50 miles on it the Sunday before last on the 2nd day of Bike MS, then rode it this past Saturday on a 20 mile sprint, finished within 1 tenth of a MPH of my personal best time ever. Like yours, mine has 7700 9 speed, but with a Sugino 50/34 compact crank. Old guys like me need compacts.

FastforaSlowGuy
06-18-2012, 12:38 PM
I wish I knew which model I have. It's brushed/matte Ti, but from what I've researched this isn't determinative. The Edge - in later years - was also brushed. The fork says "Edge" but I think that was just their house fork.

Is there another way to determine the model?

rccardr
06-18-2012, 08:17 PM
What's the serial # under the BB?

FastforaSlowGuy
06-20-2012, 07:44 AM
Gte9975