PDA

View Full Version : anyone live in Amsterdam/Berlin/Prague?

rosss
06-17-2012, 03:22 PM
Traveling to these cities for a week each in July-August
Any info on where to rent a road bike would be appreciated, as well as scenic rides, places to check out etc

Thanks!

Elev12k
06-17-2012, 03:55 PM
You can also buy a thoroughbred locally and bring it home after your holiday :) I know someone one here who did that.

Roadbike rental in A'dam? I have absolutely no idea :confused:

67-59
06-17-2012, 04:02 PM
Don't live there and can't help you with cycling stuff.

But as far as places to check out, if you like good coffee I'd suggest Two For Joy Roasters (http://www.twoforjoy.nl/). And yes, it's a coffee house like we're used to outside of Amsterdam (i.e., just coffee, pastries, etc.).:). But it's really good.

I'd also suggest the Pancake Bakery (http://www.pancake.nl/) for authentic Dutch pancakes. Pretty crowded and touristy because it's right near the Anne Frank House, but the pancakes are great.

Our favorite attraction, by far, was the Van Gogh museum. Well laid out, and includes pieces from his entire evolution as an artist. I expected to like it, but even I was blown away. The Anne Frank House is pretty good and worth a visit too...if you have time to wait in line. We thought the Rijksmuseum was just OK.

jet sanchez
06-17-2012, 07:51 PM
Any info on where to rent a road bike would be appreciated, as well as scenic rides, places to check out etc

Thanks!

Bring back a cheap Merckx or Batavus or Gazelle, check Marktplaats

http://kopen.marktplaats.nl/fietsen-en-brommers/fietsen-racefietsen/c464.html

There are bike rental places all over Amsterdam, expect to pay about 10 euro for a day. My girlfriend and I walked into a bike shop that was close to our flat and he had some for us. If you are arriving by train, there is a one in the Central Station that is very reputable. We had a great time, your view of cycling will be forever changed once you spend a day on a bike in Amsterdam.

Karin Kirk
06-17-2012, 09:07 PM
Hmm, I just got back from visiting all three of those places just this week!

But this was not a cycling trip, so I'm afraid I can't help you with your question. The closest thing I've done is rent a city bike on the outskirts of Amsterdam for a day of awesome seaside riding. Thoroughly fun, but not the same as what you are asking.

Have a great trip! Enjoy the special pleasures that each of those places has to offer. :)

buldogge
06-17-2012, 09:54 PM
I agree completely! ;)

If you're gonna stay in Amsterdam only, just rent a city bike. Some hotels/hostels have loaners (I like Bicycle Hotel Amsterdam van Ostadestraat, but it is pretty barebones). If you're gonna have time to ride outside of A'dam then get a roadbike. As you probably know, there are separate bike lanes/paths/routes everywhere.

You can head out north of the city to check out windmill country, Marken, etc. You can head west to Haarlem and the dunes/beach.
You can head east and check of Kroller-Mueller sculpture park (which you explore by bicycle).

I like to stay in De Pijp...great neighborhood feel, good food, Albert Cuypmarkt...reasonable distance to Centraal/Red Light, and Museumplein. Also, coming in from Schipol, you can get off at RAI instead of going all the way into Centraal.

Food...Pistacio Iraqi bakery (for Lacmacun), Cafe de Rieger (Jordaan) , Desa Indonesian (De Pijp), Brasserie Harkema (Red Light/Dam)...fries and pancakes of course...and lots of fried seafood for street/beach food.

Berlin is another great city to citybike around, and tons of great artsy/edgy stuff in the east and great Turkish/Anatolian food in The Kreuzberg.

Never been to Prague.

-Mark in St. Louis

You can also buy a thoroughbred locally and bring it home after your holiday :) I know someone one here who did that.

Roadbike rental in A'dam? I have absolutely no idea :confused:

rosss
06-17-2012, 10:44 PM
thanks for the replies so far!

cnighbor1
06-17-2012, 11:36 PM
If you can fly your own bike over for under $300 both ways it would about same cost of renting
Roller blades would also work

oldpotatoe
06-18-2012, 07:55 AM

Thanks!

Got an email friend who lives in the Nertherlands, I think close to and often goes to Amsterdam..If you wish, send me your email and I will forward to him.

rosss
06-18-2012, 04:40 PM
Pm'd