PDA

View Full Version : Ride Report: Old Chatham NY Century Today

BumbleBeeDave
06-16-2012, 08:59 PM
I took part today in the Old Chatham Century, an informal century ride run by a friend out of his farmhouse near there. It’s unsupported, but this year Charlie (our host) did do a lot of work putting up signs on the route and it worked great. It’s a pretty tough route that takes in Petersburg Pass, Mt. Greylock from the steeper north side, and then cross country back over to Old Chatham. Over 10,200 ft. vertical. I managed to limp in at 7:14 after blowing 6100 calories.

Here’s a map . . .

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1326909

The last time I did this ride was 3 years ago. I got caught in a thunderstorm coming down Brodie Mountain, my camera popped out of my Bento Box, the film card popped out and was lost forwever, so no pics. Camera was also pretty well trashed. This year, I was determined not to let the same thing happen. Fortunately the weather cooperated—it was absolutely beautiful, with sunny skies and high of about 80.

I figured I’d post some photos because it was a great ride, great training for France, and because my legs are now telling me “Dave, whatever you do this evening, do it sitting down.”

We started out of Charlie’s place at 8am after most riders made sure they had the emergency number in their phones. Charlie had convinced a friend who was not doing the route (smart guy!) to act as the sag wagon if anybody needed it. Then here we are out on the road. By this time, the hammerheads had already taken off.

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
06-16-2012, 09:02 PM
. . . is a 5 mile or so climb and I did manage to pass a few people on the way up, including this couple. Once we got to the top there was a bit of rest, then dive down the other side. Note the sign in background. The fun descent was over all too quickly.

BumbleBeeDave
06-16-2012, 09:05 PM
. . . is the highest point for miles around and the views are spectacular. I got a couple of jikers to shoot some pics of me nearing the top and in one of the pics was one of the literally dozens of hang gliders and parasails that were making good use of the thermals coming off the peak.

This was the 60 mile point and we were all pretty pooped by the time we got to the top.

BumbleBeeDave
06-16-2012, 09:09 PM
. . . on the south end to get a shot of the hills and this guy (not on our ride) was just comping up to start the 8 mile climb to the top from the south.

Once I got back to Charlie's, I took a moment before collapsing to get this shot of his really cool lawn sculpture. some of the other lawn sculptures on the route were a bit more, uh, quaint. Not sure why the giant turkey is wearing a mortarboard. Maybe he just graduated from turkey school?

Sorry I don't have any pics of my post ride turkey sandwich like Viper always does. It disappeared too quickly.

Very slow recovery spin tomorrow morning and then a couple of days rest. I'm pooped.

BBD

Earl Gray
06-16-2012, 10:10 PM
The picture with the hanger glider in the background is one of the coolest cycling pics ever.

spierfalls
06-16-2012, 10:19 PM
I grew up in that area (North Chatham) a few miles from Old Chatham. Great riding with little traffic and you can hit the Berkshires in no time. Sounds like you had a great time.

mike

bcm119
06-16-2012, 10:41 PM
I lived in North Chatam for 4 months about 10 years ago. I was unemployed and rode almost every day. Beautiful area, your pics take me back.

Louis
06-16-2012, 11:18 PM
Nice pics Dave. Thanks.

> 10k ft climbing in one day is a lot in my book.

FixedNotBroken
06-16-2012, 11:20 PM
. . . on the south end to get a shot of the hills and this guy (not on our ride) was just comping up to start the 8 mile climb to the top from the south.

Once I got back to Charlie's, I took a moment before collapsing to get this shot of his really cool lawn sculpture. some of the other lawn sculptures on the route were a bit more, uh, quaint. Not sure why the giant turkey is wearing a mortarboard. Maybe he just graduated from turkey school?

Sorry I don't have any pics of my post ride turkey sandwich like Viper always does. It disappeared too quickly.

Very slow recovery spin tomorrow morning and then a couple of days rest. I'm pooped.

BBD

Sweet looking adventure! A great bike to match as well! Looks like you really enjoyed yourself though, yeah?

monkeybanana86
06-17-2012, 02:46 AM
The picture with the hanger glider in the background is one of the coolest cycling pics ever.

i agree. the one with the cell phones is pretty good too!

cycle_chic
06-17-2012, 04:03 AM
Nice work! That's a lot of climbing.

rwsaunders
06-17-2012, 09:00 AM
Thanks for sharing, Dave.