PDA

View Full Version : Ride Report: Father's Day, One and The Last of the International Playboys

Viper
06-16-2012, 08:09 PM
Ride began today at high noon. Worked on the bike this morning, replacing the rear derallieur cable and loop-housing. I had some odd shifts taking place, attributed it to a too-short RD loop and sure enough, this resolved the issues. With my tools placed out I looked at them and thought, "Everything I learned about wrenching cars and bikes or whatever I tackle, I learned from dad" and it's not learning how-to-do things I gained from him, it's get-up-off-your-arse-and-teach-yourself-how-to-fix-everything mentality, which he demanded.

First stop bagel and coffee. I needed them and there's only one place to go for killer bagels. Pulling up, I placed my bike against a bench when I heard, "Is she for sale?" I turned around and a gentleman was getting out of his work van.

"No Sir. This is my main ride" I replied.
"Man, wow. You don't see them like this anymore. My son, he's a level 3 rider, out east on Long Island" he offered.
"Cat 3, sounds like your son is a Category 3 rider" I responded.
"Yes, Cat 3. He's about your size and he rides carbon fiber. Everything carbon fiber, even the wheels" he continued.

He admired the bike and I told him all about Dave Moulton, lugged steel, the 80's, thwart and the work I've done to the bike.

"They don't make them like this anymore and you know what? I have tools in my van older than this bike; if something works it works and you don't fight it, certain things just work. I am a carpenter and when you have a tool that works, you take care of it and it lasts forever" he explained.
"I totally agree" I nodded.

We both decided it was time for a bagel with coffee. He kindly offered to buy me brunch. I had a buttered cinnamon raisin bagel, coffee with milk and sat on the bench chomping down, with hunger. Just then an SUV pulled up and out popped a tiny, little girl. She ran across the parking lot and she startled me, "Biker man! Biker man! Mom, it's a biker man!" she yelled.

Her mom and I were both laughing and I smiled offering her, "Yes, I am a biker man, do you have a bike, too?" She was shy and she and her mom went inside for bagels.

She came out and said, "Hello, biker man!" I tried to take her picture but again, she was too shy. She ran over to her SUV and shouted across the parking lot, "Biker man! Look! Look, biker man, look!" She held up a page of stickers or tattoos, I don't know which. Her mom clipped her into her car seat and I made sure to clip-in before she left, so she could see the bike in-action. I waved to her and she waved back. Vince, the nice gentleman in his work van also waved goodbye.

Coffee and bagel consumed, I needed a plan. I felt good, my fitness level is fairly high, not quite where it needs to be and it will be in three to four weeks time. "It doesn't get easier, you just get faster" I thought, thank you Greg LeMond. You are correct and it's like anything in life, really. "I'm not as fast as I can be" I thought, "But ride into Centerport, where you grew up, crush the hills and push yourself today" I planned.

My father and I aren't close. Perhaps it's an Irish thing. Irish sons and fathers aren't made to be close, I guess. I thought about this when I was a kid. I thought about this today. Tomorrow being father's day offers another moment to think about such things. I am what I am, due in large part to him.

He knew I'd ruin something wrestling back in high school. He refused to sign the permission slip for me to wrestle my junior year. "Grades are what count this year and next, not the wrestling bs" he told me. Mom also let me know that dad knew I'd either wind up breaking someone's neck or meet my own match and have my neck broken. He knew.

My coach looked the other way when I did not return the permsission slip to wrestle my junior year. I was a terrorist on the wrestling mat. Best of the best and someday, something would have to give. It did. My right knee. Dad was right. "Now you have one leg. No scholarship. Your coach won't remember who you are. You weren't getting paid to wrestle and now, your future and your financial income might be impacted by hobbling around on one leg" he scoffed at me hours before a surgery to reconstruct my knee. We didn't talk for six months. "We're both Irish. We're nearly identical. We are the same. This is why we don't get along" I thought from about age seven, onward. My dad and I are one and we are the same, but things never got better. He was furious I could not join the US Marines Corp and I was a broken down teenager with one leg to stand on. Four more operations later, the leg is what it is. Stopping at my dad's old repair shop, which he owned in the mid-70's, I took a photo and thought about how fast time goes. I was just a kid playing in this parking lot, fishing across the street in the pond and learning automotive repair.

Up came Lone Oak Drive. The steepest mofo hill you can find. I tried to photograph the hill while pedaling. I got to the sixty-percent mark and had to give up taking photos. I needed two hands and full focus to get to the top.

I stopped over my nephew's house. Nephew #3, the wee one answered the door in his typical weekend attire, policeman uniform. I said hello to their dog, drank some soda and headed down to see nephews # 1 and 2, who were both playing video games, "Killing bad guys and bad pirates." Nephew # 3 showed me his art work, taped to the wall on the way downstairs. "Umm, Uncle, dats, the Earp, Mars and Venus" he offered and I could not be more proud as he announced all the planets, in sequence from the sun, along with their moons. Science and science fiction run strong in my family and I hope he carries the torch.

Needed food after doing a very hard, sustained effort on The Strip. I kept 25mph for five miles, but was happiest with my speed uphills, "Twelve is the new nine" I thought as I can now sustain 12mph up the super-steep climbs, versus the 7mph weeks ago. It is not easier, nothing athletic-related ever is, but you do get better; the human body is a simple machine and the mind controls everything.

I looked down at my outer gatrocnemius and peroneus longus. My tell. When my fitness is at it's maximum on the bike, the outer calf muscle pops and is defined. "Another three or four weeks" I thought as I looked down. I took an arse-shot for cycle-chic and noticed the hamstring, leg biceps, contracted and doing what it's supposed to do.

Dad gave me a strong sense of focus and willpower. Or maybe it came in my blood, given to him from his dad. Who knows. I don't enjoy pain. It isn't why I ride, but I can take and withstand pain. Pain is a vampire and you gotta look at him, brush your teeth, floss, wink and bite the mofo in his neck. Pain is an enemy. It always is. Don't listen to it, it lies to you. "Ride with your mouth closed" my dad told me as a kid and he's right. Don't ever let gravity and pain see you struggling. I thought of keeping my lips together climbing Harrison Drive today and it's not easy, everything tells you to do the opposite.

Lunch was a nice, "Gouda Cheese and Turkey Bacon quiche" said the teen girl behind the counter, "It's awesome." Sold. I needed it right away with some pomegranate iced tea, coffee and cookies for dessert.

Clipping-in after lunch, I was shot. Rode home on autopilot. I gave 25 miles the best I had. I struggled getting out of my seat on the sidewalk at my cafe. My face was purple and my legs felt numb.

Thanks dad. You did your best, which is all you could do. You raised five kids while enduring a 90% disability from the United States Marine Corps. Your folks came over from Ireland and you lived 'Angela's Ashes'. You joined the Service to create a future and you got f*cked up, badly hurt. We are one and the same. I got you a huge bag of grass seed, fertilizer for your lawn, placed them onto your soil, using your tools and picked you up a USMC tee-shirt, green in XL.

For Dad and his awesome pompadour, of which I have the same hair. He's my twin, just thirty years older:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBt14glNi6Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpDQJnI4OhU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6hJz4aom2M

jghall
06-16-2012, 08:37 PM
Great as always Viper. Hats off to you and your Dad. And the other Dad's here. Best wishes.

Earl Gray
06-16-2012, 10:08 PM
Loved the write up and the pictures made me think of one of my favorite short stories.

Girls in Summer Dresses (http://www.classicshorts.com/stories/dresses.html)

I was debating if I was going to ride in the morning but I think you just helped me decide.:banana:

Jack Brunk
06-16-2012, 10:35 PM
That's some awesome **** man. You are the bomb.

Ride2recovery today a ride to raise funds for wounded vets. I have no idea what I'd do with no legs. I met a bunch of real men today.

monkeybanana86
06-17-2012, 02:48 AM
your posts always make me hungry, biker man

cycle_chic
06-17-2012, 03:58 AM
Your dad kind of looks like Elvis. Nice report, biker man.

firerescuefin
06-17-2012, 04:08 AM
Hey brother...always enjoy the tales and pics. If you ever start up a blog send me the link:cool:

binxnyrwarrsoul
06-17-2012, 04:16 AM
Cool.

learningtoride
06-17-2012, 05:56 AM

LouDeeter
06-17-2012, 05:58 AM
Great story. I could tell by the picture of the calves that it was fiction. Glad you included the pictures. I'd buy your book of cycling stories!

thwart
06-17-2012, 08:28 AM
Good stuff.

And a good read to start Father's Day.

rwsaunders
06-17-2012, 08:56 AM
Off to visit my Dad this afternoon with my wife and kids. I can relate to the "heads down, move forward, no obstacle too great attitude", as my Dad is a Korean War era Marine as well. When you look back, you can see how that part of his life helped shape who he became, and it served him well.

Happy Father's Day to the lot of you, and remember, have no regrets for past actions or remorse for lost opportunities...keep moving on.

fourflys
06-17-2012, 09:41 AM
Good Stuff Viper! And thanks to your dad for his service...

Viper
06-17-2012, 09:53 AM
and it's not learning how-to-do things I gained from him, it's get-up-off-your-arse-and-teach-yourself-how-to-fix-everything mentality,-----

Ive been whining for two weeks about my broken toilet guts-
you... and your dad, inspired me. Today that toilet is getting fixed. Time to get off my arse and teach myself how to fix it. Thanks Viper!!!!!!
This has been by far my favorite of your reports. Which is a hard thing to say lol. The shoes stay shiney, the ride still gorgeous, the nephews still adorable and the community of LI that I miss brought to me in a great series of told events and photos.
LOVED the MJ B. mix, hadnt heard that one before and am a huge U2 fan.
Saturdays report is extra special and I thank you so much for keeping in the loop! You Rule Bikerman!!!!!
xoxo

Mary J gets it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu72EZdVou4

:beer:

camchris1
06-17-2012, 11:21 AM
Regretted not buying that Fuso...until I read this/ saw the pics. It went to the right person. Great story.

dan682
06-17-2012, 08:41 PM
Thanks Viper I always enjoy your posts and stories!

rphetteplace
06-17-2012, 09:46 PM
What happened to the DeSalvo?

Fivethumbs
06-18-2012, 12:51 AM
Awesome story and bike.

victoryfactory
06-18-2012, 04:13 AM
Wait a minute…
You let a strange man in a van buy you a bagel?

Viper
06-18-2012, 07:23 AM
Wait a minute…
You let a strange man in a van buy you a bagel?

1). I asked him if he was from a certain Bike Forum. When he said "no", I felt safe.
2). He did not know what cyclocross or MTB was all about (since they are a drunk, drug-filled, incest-laden orgy as we all know) so he appeared a more decent fellow.
2). It was a work truck and it did not have curtains.
3). In NY, as you know, coffee and a bagel...it's how we roll.
4). Real men break bread, talk bikes, women and the 80's.
5). But the real reason I felt safe...he rode a lugged steel Bianchi with Campagnolo back in the day.

;)

velotel
06-18-2012, 07:35 AM
A fine read, thanks

geargirl
06-18-2012, 11:02 AM
Great report....loved the stuff about your Dad. sniff....damn allergies :)