PDA

View Full Version : What does a Moots RSL wiegh?

John H.
06-16-2012, 05:41 PM
I tried to post this on the custom bike section about the Happycamper bike but I could not post for some reason???
What does a Moots RSL weigh built up with some aluminum clinchers? Built with something like Zipp 101 or Hed Ardennes.
Still in the 15's? or 16+?

gearguywb
06-16-2012, 05:56 PM
I don't know with clinchers, but mine with Red and a decent but no weight weenie build with zipps is 15.5

benitosan1972
06-16-2012, 06:01 PM
I don't know with clinchers, but mine with Red and a decent but no weight weenie build with zipps is 15.5

dang, 15.5 is pretty weight weenie to me, i'm guessing 13.5 is possible? that bike will climb itself, wow

Uncle Jam's Army
06-16-2012, 06:16 PM

You need to send that bike to me now, Merle. I've let you hold on to it long enough.

happycampyer
06-16-2012, 06:33 PM
Weight-wise, I think that a stock RSL frame weighs about the same as the SL's did—about 2.5 - 2.6 lbs in size 55 (of course, because of the differences in tubing, they are quite different in terms of ride). My frame is a little heavier than a stock 55 because of the custom geometry, but as you see it in the latest pic it's right around 15 lbs. Depending on the components (and the size of the frame), you could definitely get the entire bike sub 16 lbs with aluminum clinchers and sub 15 lbs with tubulars. It's not as dramatic as starting with an 800 (or these days now sub-800) gram carbon frame, but it's probably about as light as you're going to get in a ti frame for the amount of stiffness that it has.

John H.
06-16-2012, 09:01 PM
what Zipps? 404 tubies?

oldpotatoe
06-17-2012, 07:48 AM
I tried to post this on the custom bike section about the Happycamper bike but I could not post for some reason???
What does a Moots RSL weigh built up with some aluminum clinchers? Built with something like Zipp 101 or Hed Ardennes.

My demo RSL, size 56, DA mechanical, Ritchey cockpit, Moots stem and SP, DT 415, DA hubs, DT spokes is 15 pounds right on the money. My Waterford R-33, SuperRecord, same rims and cockpit is 15.8 pounds.

BTW-I would never build it with either HED or Zipp wheels but with some Reynolds or ENVE tubular wheels? Subtract about a pound.

BCS
06-17-2012, 08:08 AM
If you check out wrenchscience.com, you can build up many frames with your choice of components/wheels and see the weights.

The Moots is less than a pound heavier than the really light parlee z5sl. A sub 15# build is very doable

sokyroadie
06-17-2012, 11:10 AM
[QUOTE=oldpotatoe;1156561]My demo RSL, size 56, DA mechanical, /QUOTE]

I am shocked and appalled :no:

Jeff

tannhauser
06-17-2012, 11:28 AM
BTW-I would never build it with either HED or Zipp wheels

Why not, specifically HED?

beeatnik
06-17-2012, 01:31 PM
My Compact SL is 15.5 pounds with Record 11, the old Moots post (250g?), Ksyrium SLs, alloy bars, alloy stem and an old Arione.

happycampyer
06-17-2012, 02:47 PM
My demo RSL, size 56, DA mechanical, /QUOTE]

JeffProbably because PF BB30 is best suited for SRAM, which op likes about as much as he likes Zipp (and that's even before SRAM bought Zipp), and adapting Shimano is probably more palatable to him than the Campagnolo alternatives. ;)

At the end of the day, the RSL is roughly an 1100 gram frame, give or take depending on size. No matter how you build it up, it will always be 1/2 to 3/4+ lb heavier than an über-light carbon frame that weighs ~700 - 800 grams (if weight is what you're after, but imo there's a lot more to consider than just weight).

gearguywb
06-17-2012, 06:04 PM
My demo RSL, size 56, DA mechanical, Ritchey cockpit, Moots stem and SP, DT 415, DA hubs, DT spokes is 15 pounds right on the money. My Waterford R-33, SuperRecord, same rims and cockpit is 15.8 pounds.

BTW-I would never build it with either HED or Zipp wheels but with some Reynolds or ENVE tubular wheels? Subtract about a pound.

Not sure what Enve wheels you are referring to, but my 303 Firecrest weigh less than my Enve's.

gearguywb
06-17-2012, 06:10 PM
I had to change tires/wheels today, and took of the cadence sensor that was not working.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n264/gearguywb/Bikes/005-2.jpg

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n264/gearguywb/Bikes/006-2.jpg

oldpotatoe
06-18-2012, 07:43 AM
[QUOTE=oldpotatoe;1156561]My demo RSL, size 56, DA mechanical, /QUOTE]

Jeff

I like shimano.....we have shimano and Campagnolo on our demos. SR on the Waterford and Veloce on the Bianchi(steel)..geeeezzzzz, it's not sram afterall, won't see any of that in the shop.

oldpotatoe
06-18-2012, 07:45 AM
Why not, specifically HED?

Not a fan of their hubs. Their rims, when they were available, were expensive for what they are. I think there are equal and as good, rims out there for less $(Velocity). PLUS we don't sell or use wheelsouttaboxes of any kind.

oldpotatoe
06-18-2012, 07:49 AM
Probably because PF BB30 is best suited for SRAM, which op likes about as much as he likes Zipp (and that's even before SRAM bought Zipp), and adapting Shimano is probably more palatable to him than the Campagnolo alternatives. ;)

At the end of the day, the RSL is roughly an 1100 gram frame, give or take depending on size. No matter how you build it up, it will always be 1/2 to 3/4+ lb heavier than an über-light carbon frame that weighs ~700 - 800 grams (if weight is what you're after, but imo there's a lot more to consider than just weight).

Not at all. Campagnolo, to their credit, was quick to make a Campagnolo made PF BB30 cup, something shimano still refuses to do, make any adapter for their 24mm crank spindles. They even make a cupset for the silly BB right(wrong) BB 'system'.

Moots idea was to make a carbon 'category' frame in terms of weight with far superior longevity, crash worthiness with a nice, aggressive ride quality, that is also in the same price range(CHEAPER, in fact, than some asian made plastic frames, and much cheaper than some US made carbon frames, even the off the rack ones).

pzung
09-26-2012, 11:16 PM

This RSL build was about 16 lbs.