09-15-2005, 04:36 PM
I generally use bolt cutters :cool:

-Ray

slowgoing
09-15-2005, 04:48 PM
Jealous husband?

lnomalley
09-15-2005, 05:02 PM
i've seen this before.. so there you are trying to pee off the bike like a d1 pro... but you are a little older now and your man bag is a little more elastic than it used to be... and just a second's inattention and thwack thwack thwack thwack....
right? tell me i'm wrong?

cdmc
09-15-2005, 07:19 PM
i've seen this before.. so there you are trying to pee off the bike like a d1 pro... but you are a little older now and your man bag is a little more elastic than it used to be... and just a second's inattention and thwack thwack thwack thwack....
right? tell me i'm wrong?

I think I just pissed in my pants I was laughing so hard after reading that.

Bruce K
09-15-2005, 08:24 PM
Argos;

How did you manage to post the picture?

BK

SPOKE
09-15-2005, 08:30 PM
wow!! the front wheel even. all the spokes on one side ripped to pieces. looks like a stick oro something got jamed into the wheel. maybe another bike kicked up a stick or something and you just happened to be at the right place at the right time.

second guess is you overlapped your front wheel with someone elses rear wheel and got all the spokes yanked out byt their QR or rear derailleur??

how's that for a couple guesses??

David Kirk
09-15-2005, 08:33 PM
Looks like your front wheel overlapped someone else's rear wheel and thier QR skewer lever took out all the spokes..........

What do I win!?

Dave

Argos
09-15-2005, 09:32 PM
It's a rear wheel. If you look close you can see the other flange is bigger, it is just facing away from you.

Bruce:

I put it on some cheesy homepage, and then once I had a link, I used "[]" on either side of the letters "img" then the address, then "/img" again surrounded by "[]"

BumbleBeeDave
09-15-2005, 10:01 PM
He don’t need no stinkin’ STAR-buck’s napkins!

Yeeeow!! :eek:

BBDave

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=2974&highlight=starbucks+napkin

Fixed
09-15-2005, 10:09 PM
bro it looks like you' ve been to my l.b.s. for a little wheel work. :beer:

Needs Help
09-16-2005, 12:39 AM
Argos;

How did you manage to post the picture?

BK
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a116/mikepaul1/E-mailgone_fishing.jpg

Like this:

[IMG]http://www.some_photo_hosting_site/my_pictures/pic1.jpg[ /IMG]

Kevan
09-16-2005, 02:47 AM
okay, I don't know my own strength!

Next time I'll let the bike warm up first.

The Spider
09-16-2005, 03:21 AM
[QUOTE=lnomalley]i've seen this before.. so there you are trying to pee off the bike like a d1 pro...

I think my mouth just issued a new noise for me: laughter and squealing painful yelp at the same time!

TimD
09-16-2005, 07:06 AM
ohmigod :)

Spectrum Bob
09-16-2005, 08:39 AM
Since there seems to be some confusion I wanted to reprint the story on this thread.

Here is a question for everyone, is the wheel repairable?

I was down on Beach Drive just inside of DC on the flats before Military Road. The traffic is usually very light but the main picnic groves were quite crowded. I was riding with someone I did not know very well who was spending a lot of time on my wheel. I had slowed down to I think around 16 – 18 and a car that just passed decided to stop to look into a picnic grove before pulling in. Under these road conditions I had no idea that the person behind me was so close and obviously fixated on my back wheel and not on their surroundings. I had to brake because of the car and this person rode into the back of my bike. They fell and their front end fell into my bike. I am only guessing but I think it was her brake caliper or quick release that did the damage.

She went down and broke her helmet, thank god she was wearing one. I managed to stop the bike without going down. I couldn’t believe it when I came to a stop saw her down on the road and then the seeing my wheel.

The rim never went out of true just out of dish. I kept looking for the Starbucks napkin.

lnomalley
09-16-2005, 12:46 PM
Since there seems to be some confusion I wanted to reprint the story on this thread.

Here is a question for everyone, is the wheel repairable?

from here i'd say...yes.. just have the shop order a new set of spokes .... or have them send it back to the manufacterer to replace to factory spec. it shouldnt be a big deal epecially if the rim stayed true....campy sells those spokes in full sets last i checked (assuming that is a campy wheel.. i didnt look that close).

Spectrum Bob
09-16-2005, 02:22 PM
Inomalley

You are absolutely correct – it is rebuildable – campy does sell a spoke kit to replace all the spokes (although pricy) but you can not get a kit for just one side. They actually sell a spoke kit that has 2 each of the 3 different spokes used for both the front and rear wheels. I picked that kit up when I first got the wheels.

Ozz
09-16-2005, 03:15 PM
Inomalley

You are absolutely correct – it is rebuildable – campy does sell a spoke kit to replace all the spokes (although pricy) but you can not get a kit for just one side. They actually sell a spoke kit that has 2 each of the 3 different spokes used for both the front and rear wheels. I picked that kit up when I first got the wheels.
So is the rider who crashed into you picking up the tab?

Argos
09-16-2005, 03:17 PM
So is the rider who crashed into you picking up the tab?

It's not like car insurance where whomever is in back pays.

Sandy
09-16-2005, 03:20 PM

That sounds great to me. I may never have to pay anybody, anytime. :)

Alway in the back of the pack,

Packman Mirman

Ozz
09-16-2005, 03:25 PM
Maybe not, but if I was an idiot (not saying I'm not) and wrecked someones bike, I would be inclined to make it right.

Maybe that's just me.... ;)

Sandy
09-16-2005, 03:31 PM
Maybe not, but if I was an idiot (not saying I'm not) and wrecked someones bike, I would be inclined to make it right.

Maybe that's just me.... ;)

I totally agree. If I were at fault, I would insist upon paying for it. If I damaged a bike in an accident and it was my fault, it would be my responsibility to fix it.

Sandy

flydhest
09-16-2005, 03:45 PM
Clearly, I wasn't there, but establishing fault in these cases doesn't seem entirely straightforward to me.

Ozz
09-16-2005, 03:50 PM
Clearly, I wasn't there, but establishing fault in these cases doesn't seem entirely straightforward to me.
True...just curious if the wheelsucking fred offered to pay.... :p

jdoiv
09-16-2005, 04:01 PM
be considered "tail-gateing"? ...

flydhest
09-16-2005, 06:07 PM
Ozz,

Indeed, but two points. Bob says he was riding "with" the person. One broad interpretation of this suggests--at least from the way I approach to riding with people--that responsibility is, at least shared. If this had been someone who just jumped on the wheel out of nowhere, I would have a different view.

Second, Bob says, and I quote, "She went down . . . " that's gotta go at least part of the way to make up for the broken wheel. :D

yeehawfactor
09-16-2005, 06:10 PM
i think we all know how this happened
http://www.vintagevelos.com/images/JERSEY-cinzano-blk1.jpg
http://www.cyclexpress.co.uk/dbimgs/FRAMEPUMP200.bmp.jpg

Spectrum Bob
09-18-2005, 10:21 AM
Ozz

She made an offer – I told her that it was an accident – she only asked once.
She definitely had damage to her bike.
I agree with Fly about shared responsibility – but then I am not suing crazy like some people I know.

flydhest
09-19-2005, 10:41 AM
Bob,

But what about my second point?

Ozz
09-19-2005, 10:51 AM
Ozz

She made an offer – I told her that it was an accident – she only asked once.
She definitely had damage to her bike.
I agree with Fly about shared responsibility – but then I am not suing crazy like some people I know.
Fair enough...just curious if she acknowledged fault. Obviously you know the context of what happened and the best way to handle it. For the record, I wouldn't sue anyone over this either....

Besides, and Fly-pal pointed out, "she went down..." and that has to count for something! :banana:

Spectrum Bob
09-19-2005, 02:07 PM
Flydhest

As far as your second point – we sat and talked for about 10 or 15 minutes after the crash - before she was ready to ride home - I offered her a ride since my wife was on the way – her helmet was pretty messed up and she was a bit dazed – she told me that she was going to take it easy and ride home – she claimed to live close to where we were – the last thing I was thinking of was getting her to pay for my wheel – I only thought about it after I got the estimate – they want a lot to re-spoke a Campy Neutron – the next time I see her I won’t mention it - I will just ask her how she is doing -

So maybe if she did not get hurt or her bike did not sustain any damage I would have felt differently – I just can’t say until I am in the situation.

flydhest
09-19-2005, 02:35 PM
uh, Bob. I think you missed that my second point was a joke.

Spectrum Bob
09-19-2005, 02:50 PM
Oh :crap: