PDA

View Full Version : It's a small world!

Andrewlcox
06-15-2012, 08:15 PM
I was finishing my 20 mile ride in front of my house today and I met a cyclist on a road bike. I noticed it was a lugged Waterford and thought to myself, this guy knows bikes. I turned around and caught up with him said it was a nice day or something like that and commented on his bike. That got the conversation going and it turns out he is a Paceline forumite who lives literally 3 blocks away from me.
I met Kontact once while on vacation when I passed through his LBS. I thought that was pretty cool to meet a forumite in the flesh but nothing like meeting a neighbor and forumite at the same time.
I have yet to meet Oliver1850 but that day is coming quick.
This forum is very enriching and really makes this hobby and lifestyle enjoyable when a name on a computer screen is the person you just met in the flesh.
Has this ever happened to you?
Andy

BumbleBeeDave
06-15-2012, 08:22 PM
. . .yell "BumbleBeeDave!" at me several years ago as I rode down the riverfront boulevard in Boston during Hub On Wheels wearing full zebra kit. I have no idea who they were.

BBD

Louis
06-15-2012, 08:23 PM
. . .yell "BumbleBeeDave!" at me several years ago as I rode down the riverfront boulevard in Boston during Hub On Wheels wearing full zebra kit. I have no idea who they were.

BBD

I think that's called notoriety.

tribuddha
06-15-2012, 08:26 PM
I was riding with some co workers where I work in Yolo County (no.Cal) and a couple of guys on Serotta's ride by, I mention how nice their bikes are and do they visit the forum..turns out one of them was the famous Aklemen..quite a surprise and a pleasure to meet someone whose posts I have enjoyed reading and who lives so close to my home ( I live in the Napa Valley about an hours drive away) so I completely identify with your comments.

572cv
06-15-2012, 08:32 PM
I met tv_vt when we met up at the Richmond Park'n'Ride so I could buy a nice fork for my wife's bike. Square deal, nice guy. Its always nice to place a person with a name.

rounder
06-15-2012, 08:38 PM
I would ride with anyone here. Definitely would go for a ride with Oliver 1850 to see that part of the country.

buldogge
06-15-2012, 08:44 PM
I would love to meet up with you and Mark for a ride in your area one of these days...

-Mark in St. Louis

Andrewlcox
06-15-2012, 11:39 PM
You can bring Louis too. I'd like to meet both of you.

Andy

Louis
06-16-2012, 12:26 AM
You can bring Louis too. I'd like to meet both of you.

Hi Andy.

I don't think I'm allowed to do any Forum group rides until I have the Kirk built up. ;)

More seriously, it's always nice to meet fellow forumites.

Louis

Bruce K
06-16-2012, 03:51 AM
In Dave's case I think that's called infamy!:eek:;)

BK

Fixed
06-16-2012, 07:30 AM
I have meet really nice people from the forum .
very good riders that know and love bikes .
One of the best riders I know is on the forum
Cheers

Doug Fattic
06-16-2012, 07:46 AM
A former framebuilding class student that lives in New York city decided he wanted to join a church. He was visiting one downtown when he saw a couple in the hall wearing cycling clothes. He went over to chat and discovered they were visitors too and that one of them was riding of my custom frames. He took that as a good sign and decided that was the church he wanted to join.

gomango
06-16-2012, 10:07 AM
I met Paceline forum member RPM last year while on a ride.

Turns out we both live in St. Paul.

Fun to have a conversation!

Chance
06-16-2012, 10:20 AM
Has this ever happened to you?

Not by chance.

Was first told of forum by a business acquaintance that posted here. After joining contacted another member for information and ended up riding with him during a visit to my area. Turns out families are within an hour's drive. It is nice knowing what the guy is like in person when reading his posts. Does make it seem like a smaller world. Although she didn't ride with us that day, met his wife and she's very nice too.

Also met one of the builders who posts a lot during a trade show. Didn’t ride with him but have a better appreciation for what he’s like beyond the forum.

My take from knowing and or meeting these people is that they are a lot nicer than the frequent hostility we see written about members in general. Don’t know what occurs behind the scenes but it’s hard to see why all the anger and vindictiveness.

benitosan1972
06-16-2012, 11:46 AM
Internet personaes & speech is quite different than real-life. Bark is usually much greater than the bite.

AgilisMerlin
06-16-2012, 12:40 PM
sometimes it would seem

It's a small world!"

Andrewlcox
09-10-2018, 08:15 PM
I'm bringing this old thread back to life.

I got to spend time with my old "pen pal" Oliver1850. I hope you all realize what an asset he is to this community.

I plan on having one last farewell visit with Mark in the next month or so before I move to Georgia. We have been chatting via email for at least 8 years and rode with him one time about 6 years ago but then I had kids and unintentionally retired from the scene.

I hope you all have the chance to turn a virtual encounter into the real thing.

Andy

Ronsonic
09-10-2018, 09:36 PM
sometimes it would seem

It's a small world!"

I was traumatized by that phrase at the age of nine at the NY World's Fair.

Wake up with nightmares of little Eskimos singing it ever since.

cribbit
09-11-2018, 10:16 AM
The first Paceliners I met were this weekend at NYC's bike jungle swapmeet. That one's not too surprising though.

benc
09-11-2018, 12:37 PM
Where in Georgia are you moving Andy?

I was at the Rapha store in New York a couple of years ago and noticed this forum was pulled up on one of the computers (maybe both) where you pay for your goods.

Turns out the guys working there were regulars here too and we were familiar with each others posts and bikes, etc.

I instantly forgot their names but I still see them in the store when I get by.

C40_guy
09-12-2018, 11:10 AM
I was traumatized by that phrase at the age of nine at the NY World's Fair.

Wake up with nightmares of little Eskimos singing it ever since.

Hey, me too...but I was four!