PDA

View Full Version : Servicing DT 240 hubs

BdaGhisallo
09-15-2005, 01:26 PM
Have any of you guys with the 240 hubs pulled them apart to service them yet? It is fairly easy to get the freehub body off and get at the star ratchets but I was trying to get out the hub engagement ring that holds the inboard ratchet and found it nigh on impossible. I have the 240 tool kit that dt makes and was using the correct tool clamped in my home vice. When I torqued on the wheel to try and loosen the ring, I bent the vice open! It wasn't the most heavy duty vice around but I was surprised at the torque that would be required to get this thing out,and a little shocked that the vice couldn't take it!

I got everything else cleaned up and relubed with the DT specific grease and it runs much more quietly now, but the anal mechanic in me wants to get everything in the hub spic and span before I reassemble it. Has anyone else had any experience with this? Does it take a super-human amount of torque to dislodge this engagement ring?

BTW, the vice went out in the trash today, totally destroyed by the mighty DT 240 hub!!!

weisan
09-15-2005, 02:37 PM
Have you seen this?

http://www.dtswiss.com/data/files/MAN_EN_41201161001.pdf

BdaGhisallo
09-15-2005, 03:29 PM
Yep I have seen that and I was following all the instructions. I was fine until I got to the removal of the engagement ring in the hub. I checked twice in the manual but it doesn't say anything about busting your vice wide-open!!!

Oh well. I am going to call Dave at DT Swiss and see what he says. It's not the end of the world. I will just have to do something else to distract the anal mechanic in me!!

cdmc
09-15-2005, 07:29 PM
Funny, I just lubed my star ratchets last night. Such a refreshing change from the ring drive on the Chris King.

Chris King ring drive lube procedure:

1) Pull the wheel,
2) remove skewer,
3) get two 5 mm allens to unscrew the cone and axels
4) pull freewheel and axle out,
5) Try and clean out the ring drive through the little hole,
6) Lube the ring drive,
7) Put freewheel and axle back in,
8) Tighten axle and cone with two 5 mm allens,
9) Put skewer back in,
10) Mount wheel,
11) FIND OUT THE CONE IS TO TIGHT OR TO LOOSE SO EITHER THE FREEWHEEL WON'T SPIN OR THE WHEEL IS LOOSE.
12) Repeat 8-11 about 20 times until you find that micron of a happy medium between freewheel drack and the wheel being lose.

Compare to the DT Swiss 240

1) Pull the wheel,
2) remove skewer,
3) pull freewheel off,
4) Lube star ratchet (easily cleaned and accessed)
5) Push freewheel back on,
6) Install Skewer and install wheel.
7) Go ride, it took you 2 minutes to do this.