PDA

View Full Version : OT - Thoughts on the Euro Cup (so far)

BobC
06-15-2012, 06:49 AM
Mostly just random:

Been a great tournament mostly. Open attacking soccer & been fun to watch.

Croatians & Russians have been the surprise so far (not sold on the Danes just yet).

I would be a bit concerned if I were an Azzurri supporter -- next round ain't guaranteed just yet.

Feel sorry for the Irish - they look overhwelmed. "A bunch of boys from Leicester playing a squad of men from Real & Barca." Pretty much sums it up. I think Trap is done after this.

Get rid of Bob Ley (please!). Max Bretos is far better. Just let Roberto Martinez do ALL the analysis (although Twellman has impressed). Let Macca & Ian do ALL the match commentary. And for goodness sake, somebody please smack Lalas upside the head. Repeatedly.

67-59
06-15-2012, 06:57 AM
Get rid of Bob Ley (please!). Max Bretos is far better. Just let Roberto Martinez do ALL the analysis (although Twellman has impressed). Let Macca & Ian do ALL the match commentary. And for goodness sake, somebody please smack Lalas upside the head. Repeatedly.

This.

And it would be nice if they could bring in a guy from Fox Soccer and/or GolTV (like Ray Hudson) for tournaments like this. Recycled ESPN announcers who know little about the sport detract from the tournament's enjoyment....

estilley
06-15-2012, 09:31 AM
Fernando Torres is back it at.

But the main question: What is on top of Balotelli's head?
http://images.supersport.com/Mario-Balotelli-120601-Attacks-R-300.jpg

tuscanyswe
06-15-2012, 10:07 AM
Russia was no suprise to me. Great team. Kroatia i agree they are a strong team but dident expect them to be able to draw Italy even tho italy may have a weaker side than normally (atleast on an individual level).

Id say Poland is looking to be alot stronger than atleast i anticipated. little experience in that team yet they are playing great. Home turf is a big andvantage.

Torres scoring 2 against Ireland for spain with something like 70%+ possesion hardly means he is back but yeah he really needed a boost and hopefully that was it.

As a swede im praying for Ibra to do some magic against England tonight alltho it will be a tough game for sure. Funny thing is that England only beat Sweden once in a friendly for something like 40 years (alltho that was this november). In the last 7 games that was not friendlies, Sweden has won 2 and the other 5 resulted in a draw.

Go Sweden!!!

djg
06-17-2012, 04:38 PM
. . . And for goodness sake, somebody please smack Lalas upside the head. Repeatedly.

I've tried to let it go since he stopped playing for the MNT back in . . . , whenever.

wc1934
06-17-2012, 08:51 PM
Fernando Torres is back it at.

But the main question: What is on top of Balotelli's head?
http://images.supersport.com/Mario-Balotelli-120601-Attacks-R-300.jpg

No, what is IN his head - did you see the great play he made to steal the ball and walked in towards the keeper - did not shoot and ramos came from behind and stole it back - Italy need that score - I will be very surprised if he starts tomorrow - D'natalie is better suited (most goals this year in serie A). Tomorrow against Ireland and their old coach Trapattoni.

Games are great and will only get better when the quarterfinals start.
Spain does look beatable - in the draw with Italy they seemed out of synch -
Germany will be the favorite.
Ronaldo finally produced (2 goals today) but man is he conceited.
England get Rooney back after being suspended.
Surprised the orange played as poorly as they did - robbens, van percie et al did not play to their potential- they were supposed to go much further.

I can go on and on - love these games!

eippo1
06-17-2012, 11:00 PM
The Cup has been providing me with a great way to spend my afternoons now that I'm unemployed.
In the Ireland Spain rout, I felt sorry for the boys in green, their forwards barely touched the ball. As for the Sweden England game, the momentum swings were incredible to watch. With the last goal, Weyland seemed to have a sixth sense for the ball and exactly what to do with it.
I look forward to the rest of the games.

tuscanyswe
06-19-2012, 07:09 PM
No, what is IN his head - did you see the great play he made to steal the ball and walked in towards the keeper - did not shoot and ramos came from behind and stole it back - Italy need that score - I will be very surprised if he starts tomorrow - D'natalie is better suited (most goals this year in serie A). Tomorrow against Ireland and their old coach Trapattoni.

Games are great and will only get better when the quarterfinals start.
Spain does look beatable - in the draw with Italy they seemed out of synch -
Germany will be the favorite.
Ronaldo finally produced (2 goals today) but man is he conceited.
England get Rooney back after being suspended.
Surprised the orange played as poorly as they did - robbens, van percie et al did not play to their potential- they were supposed to go much further.

I can go on and on - love these games!

Ibrahimovic scored the most goal in serie A this season not Dīnatalie. By quite some margin in the end i believe. 28 goals if im not misstaken. He also scored the goal of the tournement so far tonight (imo atleast). Beast of a player, yeah im partial since im swedish :)

Ballotelli is whack id start most players ahead of him. Hope he matures and becomes the quality player he can be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-CdyLzc8Z8

Germany are favorites imo. Spain runners up but id keep an eye out for Portugal who had quite a good draw getting the Checks for their Quarterfinal.

wc1934
06-19-2012, 07:51 PM
Ibrahimovic scored the most goal in serie A this season not Dīnatalie. By quite some margin in the end i believe. 28 goals if im not misstaken. He also scored the goal of the tournement so far tonight (imo atleast). Beast of a player, yeah im partial since im swedish :)

Ballotelli is whack id start most players ahead of him. Hope he matures and becomes the quality player he can be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-CdyLzc8Z8

Germany are favorites imo. Spain runners up but id keep an eye out for Portugal who had quite a good draw getting the Checks for their Quarterfinal.

yup - my bad - Zlatan Ibrahimovic had 28 goals - D'Natalie - 23

MattTuck
06-19-2012, 07:56 PM
I think it is hilarious that Greece will play Germany. it is just a game, but has a ton of political baggage because of the euro crisis. not as loaded as US vs ussr in lake placid, but close.

tuscanyswe
06-19-2012, 08:00 PM
yup - my bad - Zlatan Ibrahimovic had 28 goals - D'Natalie - 23

He is also the first player ever to be season top scorer for 2 different clubs in italy. I know my ibra stats :)

wc1934
06-24-2012, 08:39 PM
And then there were 4!

jemoryl
06-24-2012, 09:03 PM
A sweet penalty shot from Pirlo today. England was sad.

The Germans have been able to spank Greece (although the Greeks put up a good fight) and can now go on to discipline at least two of the rest of the PIIGS! Ugh.

rab
06-24-2012, 10:01 PM
Balotelli seems to be a bit of a jekyll and hyde gamble. When he is on he has the ability to make some of the best moves you will see -- the key being "when". Also wonder if the fact he was facing his City teammate in goal made any difference in selection, and many other premiership adversaries.

I would have liked to see England win today but not with what they brought against Italy. Italy was the better team and deserved the win. Not that I think they will wiin another in this tourney...

Definitely enjoying it overall.