PDA

View Full Version : brake-tire clearance question

NHAero
06-14-2012, 06:01 PM
On my '88 Nagasawa road trainer, when I ride down our dirt road the tire picks up sand and there is a grinding away down at the fork crown. I thought this was too tight clearance between the underside of the crown and the tire (23-622) but this evening I looked carefully and see that there is about 1/8 inch or so between the tire and the fork - the tight clearance is to the underside of the Ultegra 6500 brake caliper. It's much tighter, not much over 1/32 inch. I can see grinding marks on the caliper.

So - are there calipers that don't sit as low over the tire? Should I just get the Dremel out and take some meat off of the caliper arms? Advice?

palincss
06-14-2012, 09:02 PM
Single pivot sidepulls generally have a higher arch than dual pivots. So do centerpulls.

Mike748
06-14-2012, 09:17 PM
You could also space the caliper away from the fork a little, that will increase the tire to caliper clearance. Make sure you keep enough thread engagement on the nut, or get a longer nut if needed.

NHAero
06-15-2012, 09:49 AM
Thanks folks. The spacing trick doesn't work as it pushes the brake closer to the tire before it gets further away. I'll look at single pivot brakes - any makes/model suggestions?