PDA

View Full Version : New Legend Ti ST

Fred
02-21-2004, 06:55 PM
Hi,

My back hurts after 6 years of riding a stock geom 59cm w/130mm stem Merlin (I'm 6'1"). Going to be fitted for a Legend
Ti ST on Monday hoping to put my back pains behind me.

Any words of wisdom, while getting sized, to help me get rid of
my back trouble? Please don't tell me to do more sit ups or streches. I'm fairly flexible but not overly.

Other general suggestion to a will be Serotta owner is also welcome.

Thanks. :)

Kurt
02-21-2004, 07:13 PM
that legend is. did you try a shorter stem or one with more rise? Even mm can make a big difference.

MadRocketSci
02-21-2004, 07:25 PM
Hi Fred,

I think the most common method of addressing back pain is to "size up", as dbrk advocates. Get a frame that enables you to put your handlebars up higher, as this will allow you to sit more upright and have less strain in your back. You can achieve this by getting a traditional geo bike (level tt) at the large end of your comfort zone, or a more "compact" design (sloping tt) to give you more standover clearance while keeping the higher handlebars. See the numerous posts about sizing up in this forum, and the rivendell website for more info.

Now, if your like me and experience back pain when climbing something steep and long, then I have some other ideas I'm experimenting with. I already have done a bit of sizing up, tried being more upright by putting my hands on the bar tops, but still have the pain in hairy climbs. I'm now seeing if moving my saddle forward and up a bit helps...still unsure about that one. I got the idea from a website. The reasoning is that if your farther behind the bb, then you are pedalling more horizontally and must resist these forces with your upper body and arms. The other thing that really helps my back on climbs is to tilt the seat down a little, but if overdone this leads to more weight on the hands and soreness in the arms and upper back. I'm still trying to see if I can find a happy medium that minimizes overall pain...any other suggestions are welcome!

I have two bikes, one sized up, and one not, and pick between them based on the length and terrain of my ride...

hope this helps a little....

Kevin
02-21-2004, 07:44 PM
Be honest with the fitter regarding your back pain. The fitter will know best. It may mean that the bike will end up with a non-traditional look. Don't be concerned with the way the bike looks. The fit is what is important. I imagine that the fitter will raise the front of the bike to address your issues.

Kevin

Fred
02-21-2004, 07:44 PM
Thanks MadRoc! It definitely helped. I'll bring your point up to
the Serotta fit technican and see what he says.

Climb01742
02-21-2004, 07:52 PM
try to locate the source of the back pain. which isn't always in the back itself. the point of pain and its source are often different. for example, i have pains in my back that begin on the lower right side and often radiate upward to the shoulder blade. but the source -- as best as i and a number of physio types can figure out -- is my right hip. find a good fitter, talk your head off about how you ride, what hurts and when, what you want from your frame, let him/her watch you ride. hopefully they can spot something that might help. a well fitting frame can make riding so much more enjoyable. good luck.

Needs Help
02-21-2004, 11:58 PM
Any words of wisdom, while getting sized

Unfortunately, if you go to 3 different Serotta fitters, you most likely will end up with three different results. The conclusion: no matter how much they try to market it as such, the Serotta fit system is not a science, and it has no particular propensity to arrive at a proper fit; there is only that fitter's recommendation.

Therefore, I would suggest you not get fit by a fitter with less than 10 years of experience, and I would get fit by more than one fitter and look at the differences, and then you have to educate yourself as to what seems the best fit for you. When you decide on a final set of numbers, make sure the bike is designed so you have room to adjust your handlebars both up and down, and then you can make any necessary adjustments after the bike is delivered and you've put in a few miles. If you spend that much money on a bike, make sure you have options, so you don't get stuck with a bike that won't allow you to get comfortable.

Good luck.

mavic1010
02-22-2004, 12:34 AM
An interesting comment that Ben had made during one of his visits is that because of his busy schedule and such, he was unable to stretch as much as he'd like as well as increase strength in his abs and back. Hence, a bit of fatigue and poor riding position while riding.

I think sometimes we think too much about tinkering with the bike and not enough of refining the engine..our bodies...

Smiley
02-22-2004, 07:39 AM
core strength of your back like all have stated here is one key issue. Its also of note to comment on the fact that dbrk probably can put his body into the shape of a pretzel and be comfortable. So he still likes to ride sized up. We all really do what the good doctor comments on we just do it differently by flipping the stem over. At 52 today I still ride a stock 58 cm frame but no longer do I ride with a -17 degree 12 cm stem . Its a 95 degree by 12 cm so this tells you and others that change does occur over time don't fight it , just adjust and go out and ride. enjoy your new bike. Be honest with your fitter and he'll put you in the best bike position, hopefully you'll have spacers under the stem so if you strengthen your back you'll be able to get lower. Neck muscels are also a consideration for me and others so look out for all the signs of pain and muscel triggers.

Ahneida Ride
02-22-2004, 01:47 PM
My back hurts after 6 years of riding a stock geom 59cm w/130mm stem Merlin (I'm 6'1").

Fred,

A 59 seems small for a guy 6'1".
I'm 6'4" and ride a 64, and could have taken for a 65.
I suspect a larger frame will eliminate your pain.

Locate a fitter with experience. My fitter has 20 years +.

I ride with no pain, which I attribute to a great fitter.
My bars are just a tad lower the my seat. Hence no back
problems.

My fitter spent a whole afternoon ( 5 hours ) with me.
Find someone who is patient, asks and answers tons
of questions.

Hope this helps,