PDA

View Full Version : Don't be Me

firerescuefin
06-13-2012, 05:29 PM
I am a pretty confident wrench. When they give torque specs for cassette lockrings, go by those. Ruined a very nice ride today when it popped off in the middle of nowhere on a fast descent. It actually could have been a lot uglier than it was.....That is all:no:

Fixed
06-13-2012, 05:40 PM
Campy or shimano ?

firerescuefin
06-13-2012, 05:42 PM
Campy or shimano ?

Campy....nothing wrong with the parts. Operator error.

azrider
06-13-2012, 05:44 PM
There are torque specs on cassette lockrings?

shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

glad you're alright.

FixedNotBroken
06-13-2012, 05:47 PM
I am a pretty confident wrench. When they give torque specs for cassette lockrings, go by those. Ruined a very nice ride today when it popped off in the middle of nowhere on a fast descent. It actually could have been a lot uglier than it was.....That is all:no:

50nm right?

Louis
06-13-2012, 05:49 PM
A while back I over-torqued the clamp bolts on a Thomson seatpost and one day as I rolled out the driveway onto the street the saddle went "Clunk." The post was ruined because I had broken one of the "horns" that the bolts bear up against.

When installing cassette lockrings I tighten them as much as possible, then a little more. So far so good. I don't have a torque wrench that goes high enough - maybe I need to get a second higher capacity one.

firerescuefin
06-13-2012, 05:50 PM
FNB...Yes...and I have 2 torque wrenches. ("Idiot"...in my best Will Ferrell voice)

Here's a picture of my bike leaning against the fence as I waited for my B-inlaw to drive an hour out to get me.

FNB...you may notice that the barfly I was telling everyone was a waste of money...is mounted securely to my handlebar......I love it.

firerescuefin
06-13-2012, 05:55 PM
A while back I over-torqued the clamp bolts on a Thomson seatpost and one day as I rolled out the driveway onto the street the saddle went "Clunk." The post was ruined because I had broken one of the "horns" that the bolts bear up against.

When installing cassette lockrings I tighten them as much as possible, then a little more. So far so good. I don't have a torque wrench that goes high enough - maybe I need to get a second higher capacity one.

You know Louis...with the way that it kind of ratchets on, I have no idea what the torque was that I applied. I just never thought of it coming undone.

Fixed
06-13-2012, 06:03 PM
You need to drink more
:beer::beer::beer:cheers

firerescuefin
06-13-2012, 06:09 PM
You need to drink more
:beer::beer::beer:cheers

Agreed...this route has a natural turnaround point w/ a 7-Eleven where I usually imbibe and refill. The second water bottle cage needs to find it's way back on there. I lost one of bolts when I took it off and have been too lazy to replace it.

norcalbiker
06-13-2012, 06:21 PM
50nm right?

40nm

firerescuefin
06-13-2012, 06:27 PM
Cut from Park website (inch/Pnds)

Cassette sprocket lockring

Shimano 260-434
CampagnoloŽ 442
SRAMŽ 310-350

retrofit
06-13-2012, 06:46 PM
442 in/lbs = 49.9 nm

Why such a wide range with Shimano?

FixedNotBroken
06-13-2012, 08:01 PM
FNB...Yes...and I have 2 torque wrenches. ("Idiot"...in my best Will Ferrell voice)

Here's a picture of my bike leaning against the fence as I waited for my B-inlaw to drive an hour out to get me.

FNB...you may notice that the barfly I was telling everyone was a waste of money...is mounted securely to my handlebar......I love it.

At least your bike looks fresh :) agreed..those BarFly mounts are pretty great. I've gotten two LBS's to start carrying them and they have been selling well. I'm glad you're enjoying yours. If you're riding that bike...nothing is a waste of money :)

Jaq
06-13-2012, 09:06 PM
40nm

50Nm. But this is a 2006 Record hub with a 9-speed Chorus cassette.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7223/7370515258_3bf1dba52e.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/52794509@N07/7370515258/)
DSCN2880 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/52794509@N07/7370515258/) by Jaq Hammer (http://www.flickr.com/people/52794509@N07/), on Flickr

tuxbailey
06-13-2012, 09:23 PM
I always just make it as tight as possible because I could never figure how to put the torque wrench on the campy cassette tool.

Ti Designs
06-13-2012, 09:27 PM
Here's an idea. Find a piece of wire - you can use your front derailleur cable, you're not going to be using that for the rest of the ride. Put a bunch of spacers on the cassette body, then one cog that has some holes. Use the cable to lash the cog to the spokes just to keep it's position, se the limit screws on the derailleur so it runs clean and ride home like you're on a fixed gear. Bikes really shouldn't be so complicated that they leave you stranded...

Jaq
06-13-2012, 09:28 PM
I always just make it as tight as possible because I could never figure how to put the torque wrench on the campy cassette tool.

On the off-chance you're not kidding....

I use the Park tool for Campy; it looks like a hex nut. Thing is, it isn't metric; a 1" socket fits over it. So I use a 1" socket, then have to use a 3/8" to 1/2" adapter for the drive to the torque wrench.

firerescuefin
06-13-2012, 09:41 PM
It is 40nm for the 11 speed Campy stuff

TMB
06-13-2012, 09:47 PM
I have never used a torque wrench on a bicycle.

monkeybanana86
06-13-2012, 11:04 PM
at least you had something nice to look at for an hour.

wooly
06-14-2012, 02:07 AM
Damn - I've never used a torque wrench when throwing on cassettes. Just hamfisted them on. Sounds like I need one. None of my brother in laws would pick me up!

thegunner
06-14-2012, 09:05 AM
nothing to add here exce;t "hot damn, that bike is gorgeous"

tuxbailey
06-14-2012, 09:13 AM
On the off-chance you're not kidding....

I use the Park tool for Campy; it looks like a hex nut. Thing is, it isn't metric; a 1" socket fits over it. So I use a 1" socket, then have to use a 3/8" to 1/2" adapter for the drive to the torque wrench.

Hmmm, I think I only have 3/8" socket. Might need to get a 1" one.

bobswire
06-14-2012, 09:41 AM
Been wrenching for over 30 years and had never used a torque wrench until carbon bits were introduced (stem, steer tube etc.) and never used one
to torque on a cassette.
A lot of that mindset is from the days of freewheels as they kind of torque themselves. Guys who worked on them know what I mean.

Uncle Jam's Army
06-14-2012, 09:47 AM
I'm a shimano guy, and I usually go with four "clicks" when tightening the lockring with a crescent wrench. Seems to work fine.

firerescuefin
06-14-2012, 09:55 AM
I'm a shimano guy, and I usually go with four "clicks" when tightening the lockring with a crescent wrench. Seems to work fine.

Agreed (past tense) with Robert and Bob....tighten until I met decent resistance and heard 3-5 clicks. I will say that the clicking engagement on the 11s lock ring is not as positive as the 10s.

UKBROOKLYN
06-14-2012, 04:53 PM
Think you need to hear way more clicks on the campy locking. I click my one down several more..Nice and tight.. no torque wrench..

BTW how big an issue is this.. I have never heard of anyone ever having a cassette locking come undone (until now) .. In fact the question is usually "How do I get this damn thing off??"

zennmotion
06-15-2012, 11:13 AM
I just ran into this, brilliant tool - hooks to your QR skewer and spin off/on using your pedals. Didn't know I needed one, but now I do (drive side spoke replacement while on tour!)
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/tools/cassette.html

UKBROOKLYN
06-15-2012, 11:26 AM
Wow they think of everything... Damn and there was I wondering how on earth I was going to be able to switch cassettes before climbing state line hill.. This is like inventing a job and then making a tool for it.

zennmotion
06-15-2012, 11:36 AM
Wow they think of everything... Damn and there was I wondering how on earth I was going to be able to switch cassettes before climbing state line hill.. This is like inventing a job and then making a tool for it.

For long rides where the wolves howl- this plus a couple of extra spokes inside your seat tube could turn a catastrophe into an inconvenience. Or you could turn in your Boy Scout card and sit by the side of the road waiting for rescue.

UKBROOKLYN
06-15-2012, 12:42 PM
If we carried everything to be totally self sufficient in every case, we would never leave the house.. In the 45 plus years I have been riding a bike i have never had a cassette come loose nor heard of it happening to a friend. I have however seen frames weaken and welds open up.. Mmm now where was that ad for the portable welding torch...

I guess its a pretty small tool but.. I say tighten up the cassette properly and leave this gizmo at home...

martinrjensen
06-15-2012, 04:30 PM
And take your skewer, remove the sprints and lightly clamp the tool on. That way it won't fall off. It gets a little awkward, one hand holding the chain wrench, the other holding the torque wrenchOn the off-chance you're not kidding....