PDA

View Full Version : No TdF for Andy either

Nooch
06-13-2012, 04:53 AM
the Inner Ring ‏
@inrng
Johnny Schleck confirms his son Andy's injuries. Fractured and fused vetebra. No Tour de France, via RTL's @c_ollivier_rtl

Jason E
06-13-2012, 05:01 AM
Maybe they'll add Horner back.

firerescuefin
06-13-2012, 05:26 AM
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/06/13/uk-cycling-tour-schleck-idUKBRE85C0GO20120613

Earl Gray
06-13-2012, 05:30 AM
That Sucks.

Who are the haters goin hate on now?

BumbleBeeDave
06-13-2012, 05:31 AM
. . . if you can read it.

http://sport.rtl.lu/cyclissem/news/261857.html

BBD

bostondrunk
06-13-2012, 05:33 AM
He never would have had a chance anyway. Wiggins and Evans would have crushed him. FB would have had to neutralize every stage for him...

Rueda Tropical
06-13-2012, 05:43 AM
No fan of Andy, but this sucks. For Andy, the team, the fans and the TDF. First Spartacus and now AS. Radio Shack is really experiencing some seriously bad Karma.

Bruyneel is probably looking back fondly on the Contador/Armstrong cluster-f**k when it was just a question of whether there would be 2 or 3 podium spots and what order his riders would occupy them.

Here's hoping the spine injuries don't effect him long term. There are still some Contador - Schleck showdowns that should be in the future before the next gen of riders takes over.

AngryScientist
06-13-2012, 05:57 AM
that's too bad. I'm not the biggest Andy fan either, but its more exciting/interesting to see a full field at the TdF, keeps it interesting.

Elefantino
06-13-2012, 06:12 AM
If there ever was a good time to break a pelvis, this was it.

BD's right. He would have been crushed by all the TT miles. It just isn't in him to chrono. Probably (qualified) never will be.

Now is definitely the time for Comeback 3.0®

AgilisMerlin
06-13-2012, 06:22 AM
now who's going to room with Frank ?

the dynamic duo - kabooooooooooooom

he may have a VERY good July

Jason E
06-13-2012, 06:24 AM
If there ever was a good time to break a pelvis, this was it.

BD's right. He would have been crushed by all the TT miles. It just isn't in him to chrono. Probably (qualified) never will be.

Now is definitely the time for Comeback 3.0®

"Johan, it's me, lance. I'm packed. I'll pay my own way, bring my own bikes. Have a car waiting at the airport, I'm calling you from the jet, I'm over the Atlantic.

Dude, seriously, this is gonna be AWESOME!!!"

firerescuefin
06-13-2012, 06:35 AM
"Johan, it's me, lance. I'm packed. I'll pay my own way, bring my own bikes. Have a car waiting at the airport, I'm calling you from the jet, I'm over the Atlantic.

Dude, seriously, this is gonna be AWESOME!!!"

Think of all the Treks, Michelob Ultra, and Honey Stingers he could sell.....Yippee:help:

corky
06-13-2012, 06:41 AM
Think of all the Treks, Michelob Ultra, and Honey Stingers he could sell.....Yippee:help:

"make sure the preparation h,, or whatever its called is ready"

CunegoFan
06-13-2012, 06:44 AM
Maybe they'll add Horner back.

Kloden and Horner do not get along, and Kloden is RSNT's best chance for a high finish.

Fixed
06-13-2012, 06:48 AM
The organisers have announced that Frank Schleck will be punished for not following the obligations after the race - the kind and size of the punishment are published only today evening, though.

from todays race
cheers

Jason E
06-13-2012, 06:58 AM
The organisers have announced that Frank Schleck will be punished for not following the obligations after the race - the kind and size of the punishment are published only today evening, though.

from todays race
cheers

What did he do?

Fixed
06-13-2012, 07:09 AM
i only saw this in todays text coverage before the video starts
cheers .
http://www.tourdesuisse.ch/en/live/news_ticker/

William
06-13-2012, 07:33 AM
It will be interesting to see Frank unleashed.

William

BumbleBeeDave
06-13-2012, 07:46 AM
What did he do?

. . . and a press conference. Not sure what else here could be . . . pose for pictures with the finishing town mayor? :rolleyes:

BBD

dukeisno1
06-13-2012, 07:52 AM
Could we see Andy and Alberto at the Vuelta? I would look forward to that.

Joe

Elefantino
06-13-2012, 07:53 AM
Could we see Andy and Alberto at the Vuelta? I would look forward to that.
Me too! I'll be on the Bola del Mundo.

BumbleBeeDave
06-13-2012, 07:53 AM
. . . for Chris Horner than for Johann to call him up and tell him, "OK, Andy is out, you are in. You say your back is fine. Prove it."

Chris would turn himself inside out--even more than usual.

BBD

FlashUNC
06-13-2012, 08:03 AM
And there are those who say Andy isn't tough. Guy broke his back, and still tried to keep racing.

Jason E
06-13-2012, 08:16 AM
. . . and a press conference. Not sure what else here could be . . . pose for pictures with the finishing town mayor? :rolleyes:

BBD

Unrelated. One is a racing fine. Press Conference is about Andy.

BumbleBeeDave
06-13-2012, 08:40 AM
Unrelated. One is a racing fine. Press Conference is about Andy.

. . . because I meant racers--particularly stage winners and GC leaders--often meet the press after the day's stage. Skip that and you PO the race organizers, the locals, and the UCI. Different from Andy's press conference this afternoon.

BBD

false_Aest
06-13-2012, 08:43 AM
Update:

Andy Schleck and I'll Have Another have both tweeted that they're to be roommates when they're given the go-ahead to seed for future generations.

Jaq
06-13-2012, 09:00 AM

William

That way lies madness.

ultraman6970
06-13-2012, 09:03 AM
He tried already in the second stage in a climb and a non climber catched him and smoked him in the sprint. i don't see him unleashing anything at all. Well maybe he will cry because of his bro, but not unleash anything. I bet he wont race the TdF at all.

William

PQJ
06-13-2012, 09:21 AM
That Sucks.

Who are the haters goin hate on now?

Still Andy. He's young enough and girlie enough to warrant it until he retires or he mans up and pulls a cuddles. Of course, if lance returns we may just have to go on a hate Andy hiatus.

/s President Emeritus, Andy Haters United

Gothard
06-13-2012, 09:22 AM
And there are those who say Andy isn't tough. Guy broke his back, and still tried to keep racing.

Until we have seen the actual radiology images of his *sacrum* (not back) we can not determine how tough he is. A sacrum fracture can be totally painless or absolutely debilitating.

BumbleBeeDave
06-13-2012, 09:25 AM
. . . "Sacrum Bleu!!" ;)

ultraman6970
06-13-2012, 09:33 AM
Well if you see the results the whole season I would say that he broke his spine like 7 months ago and just he found out today/yesterday about it?

Teo boss broke his back in a sprint, after a week or two he was racing and that guy generates maybe twice the power of the kid. Personally he figured it out he was not going to be able to make up for 5 months of training in 3 weeks and they found a way to pull him out. After seeing the horner situation plus how the things are managed by JB and in the team since way years ago, maybe is just plain BS.

Now i'm almost sure frank wont race the tour, Spartacus might pull out the race aswell... those 3 can't be separated. Spartacus was not going to race the Tour seriously anyways so miss it for him means no accidents and better preparation for the games. So totally see spartacus not racing it either.

Comeback 3?

Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post

PQJ
06-13-2012, 09:59 AM
Comeback 3?

I can't see how he'd have the fitness to race a 3 week GT, let alone competitively. However, since he and JB like to be the ringmasters at a circus, I wouldn't count it out either.

Nooch
06-13-2012, 10:07 AM
i'm pretty sure comeback 3 would have needed to be registered with the uci a few months ago, doping controls to be established, etc... see cippo trying to race the giro..

54ny77
06-13-2012, 10:21 AM
if he hires a good enough lawyer, maybe he'll win the '12 edition as well (despite not riding in it).

Elefantino
06-13-2012, 10:22 AM
i'm pretty sure comeback 3 would have needed to be registered with the uci a few months ago, doping controls to be established, etc... see cippo trying to race the giro..
No need to register. He would just need to show up at the start line and the UCI would delay the rollout to throw a welcome party.

I say we start calling for it now.:banana:

1happygirl
06-13-2012, 10:25 AM
. . . "Sacrum Bleu!!" ;)

hilarious BBD!!!

Viper
06-13-2012, 10:39 AM
No Lance.
No Contador.
No Andy.
RadioShack went from on-paper, months ago, one of the strongest teams to a total mess today.
Could Chris Horner podium? I could see it or at least top 5/def top 10.
One thing is certain, this le Tour will be unusual. It would have been awesome to see a 40 year old Armstrong duel Wiggo, Evans and some young guns. Armstrong needs only Popovych, Kloden, Horner, Canch and Twitter. And an Olsen twin.

retrofit
06-13-2012, 10:43 AM
more...
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/schleck-confirms-he-will-miss-tour-de-france

54ny77
06-13-2012, 10:48 AM
Everyone knows Radio Shack is the go-to source for spare parts. Johan, get there and pick Andy up a new pelvis. They're in the back at the far right, next to the dusty TRS-80's. :bike:

Fixed
06-13-2012, 10:50 AM
lance will only comeback if they make the t.d.f. a triathlon
:)

cheers

1centaur
06-13-2012, 12:06 PM
4-6 weeks of NO riding means his Olympic dream is just that, and Vuelta prep will be severely compromised.

Mention of Frank's possibly winning the Tour is interesting as either a sign that Frank's really going to be there or as a brushback pitch to Bruyneel.

Frank's looking thinner than ever and when he was caught by Costa at the Tour de Suisse looked underpowered in that thinness.

Wiggins is likely to be the prohibitive favorite, Cadel second, and no third at the Tour. Just look at the people the oddsmakers have tucked in behind those two: I mean, Menchov? Nibali (after his weak performance)? If we get a Wiggins headcase meltdown, that podium could seem kinda random compared to recent years'. A good year for an up and comer to make a mark.

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/cycling/tour-de-france

bostondrunk
06-13-2012, 12:35 PM
Hincapie will win it this year.

67-59
06-13-2012, 01:34 PM
Maybe this will be Tommy Voeckler's year....:hello:

54ny77
06-13-2012, 01:36 PM
Wiggins
Evans
Menchov

RonW87
06-13-2012, 02:04 PM
I know I'm a homer on this, but no love for "weight of a nation"?

ultraman6970
06-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Evans

Wiggings

Hesjedal

Rodriguez

Like 9 mins down Horner (top 10)

The 3 runner ups can change, based in team work Wiggo should kick ass, I see BMC team really weak. The canadian will be there in the top 3, the team has a lot of heart and sure they want the TdF winner to be in their team.

Wiggins
Evans
Menchov

Hawker
06-13-2012, 03:04 PM
So does RS do all they can to really attempt some sort of GC challenge or at this point will they happily settle for a stage win or two and lots of camera time?

If the latter...might as well bring Horner back and at least pick up some American viewership for the company and maybe a couple of profile segments about Horner. Then...put him in the booth next year!

Fixed
06-13-2012, 04:12 PM
Evans

Wiggings

Hesjedal

Rodriguez

Like 9 mins down Horner (top 10)

The 3 runner ups can change, based in team work Wiggo should kick ass, I see BMC team really weak. The canadian will be there in the top 3, the team has a lot of heart and sure they want the TdF winner to be in their team.

solid picks imho cheers

54ny77
06-13-2012, 04:13 PM
hilarious comment seen over on slowtwitch:

"jackmott wrote: 'All tour de france titles will roll down to jens voight, eventually'"

54ny77
06-13-2012, 04:18 PM
I think they're going to have to be REALISTIC about their chances....

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii110/blasttapes/20080311-RealisticTM-175SA-175C.jpg

So does RS do all they can to really attempt some sort of GC challenge or at this point will they happily settle for a stage win or two and lots of camera time?

Viper
06-13-2012, 04:45 PM
My picks for Top Ten at 2012 le Tour:

1). Lindsey Lohan (she is on dope and can bribe cops all the way to Paris)
2). Charlie Sheen (Winning! Well almost, let's see the new tv show first)
3). Jens Voight (Deserves third place)
4). Greg LeMond (Comeback 3.0 but Jens beats him in the TT by 8 seconds)
5). Cunego (LeMond was quoted, "I can't lose to that smurf.")
6). Tyler Hamilton's Labrador Retriever's cloned-twin
7). Robin Williams (riding for Team Livestrong, "I snorted enough coke in the 80's, still have it in my blood and with the heart surgery, I can get to Paris).
8). Matthew McConaughey (Domestique for Team Livestrong and rides naked all the way to Paris).
9). If he skipped a few burgers, his Comeback could've succeeded:

http://fatmanonabike.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/tdf04p7248452ullrichfinaltt.jpg

10). Lance Armstrong (swims, runs and bikes around France twice before the peleton can reach Paris, but he is fined enough minutes beacause his Speedo was not team-uniform material, to make him # 10).

Hawker
06-13-2012, 04:50 PM
I think they're going to have to be REALISTIC about their chances....

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii110/blasttapes/20080311-RealisticTM-175SA-175C.jpg

Good one, we must be the same age. Remember Tandy leather products that RS used to sell? You have to be old, like back in the 60s.

Fixed
06-13-2012, 05:43 PM
Funny stuff thanks for the laughs
Cheers :)

54ny77
06-13-2012, 06:06 PM
I had a higher end REALISTIC tube receiver/amp, my friend, that kept on truckin' for years and years. At one point in time it was relegated to garage stereo duty. Then, some years later, one of the left or right channels went kaput--which I still put up with since I just hit the "mono" button.

Finally, it just up & died.

That sucker lasted probably 30 years. In that time, I'd gone through quite a few fancier stereos that fizzled and frazzled, all more expensive and more features but not really that much better for just plain easy listenin'.

To say they don't make 'em like they used to is an understatement.

And how many of us out there had a genuine simulated woodgrain plastic radio shack radio alarm clock?

Good one, we must be the same age. Remember Tandy leather products that RS used to sell? You have to be old, like back in the 60s.

Hawker
06-13-2012, 07:34 PM
Yep, had the alarm clock too.

Now to really show my age...how many ever had and "built" a crystal radio? I used to listen to it under the covers with a wire running outside the window for an antenna. The only thing it would pick up was a clear channel 50KW station in Rochester, NY, WHAM. Consequently at the age of nine at two in the morning, I was listening to the farm reports and wondering what the heck "hog bellies" were.

Guess what I do today for a living? Yep, broadcasting. :)

Elefantino
06-13-2012, 07:45 PM
Maybe this will be Tommy Voeckler's year....:hello:
I'm rooting for anyone French.:banana:

pitonpat
06-13-2012, 07:56 PM
Yep, had the alarm clock too.

Now to really show my age...how many ever had and "built" a crystal radio? I used to listen to it under the covers with a wire running outside the window for an antenna. The only thing it would pick up was a clear channel 50KW station in Rochester, NY, WHAM. Consequently at the age of nine at two in the morning, I was listening to the farm reports and wondering what the heck "hog bellies" were.

Guess what I do today for a living? Yep, broadcasting. :)

Ha! I built a crystal radio back in the early 60's, and listened to "Chicken Man" on WKBW in Buffalo, NY. Lying in bed, in my attic bedroom, with those cheesy ear buds so Mom and Dad wouldn't know. Meanwhile, my older brother was keying Morse code across the world from his home-built Heathkit transmitter...He's still a Ham operator all these years later!

gasman
06-13-2012, 09:40 PM
I'm rooting for anyone French.:banana:

Yep-last one Hinault in '85, would love to see it.

But it ain't gonna happen this year.