PDA

View Full Version : KB Recent Project

K Bedford
06-12-2012, 09:19 PM
This one was tough. Dropouts and B bridge are Paragon, tubing is KVA stainless and pretty much all else was hand fabricated from scratch.
It's currently on a European tour with the new owner.
KB

Earl Gray
06-12-2012, 09:36 PM
This one was tough. Dropouts and B bridge are Paragon, tubing is KVA stainless and pretty much all else was hand fabricated from scratch.
It's currently on a European tour with the new owner.
KB

Just Wow! This should have been a show bike!

I love builders willing to explore!

Fixed
06-12-2012, 09:36 PM
wow speechless

AngryScientist
06-12-2012, 10:08 PM
oh my, that's very nice.

please convince the new owner to join here and keep us updated to how he likes this beauty. european tour photos are a great way to introduce ones self.

good work KB!:hello:

AngryScientist
06-12-2012, 10:10 PM
few questions though:

- is it really not drilled for a second bottle cage?
- what led to the material selections??

pdmtong
06-12-2012, 11:37 PM
wow!
- wondering why KVA instead of XcR or 953
- is that campy EPS?

Smiley
06-13-2012, 05:20 AM
According to Kelly this whole bike is about $25K with wheels and Campy electric and all the hand cut SST lugs and pin striping around the lugs and the list goes on forever. Kelly did not want to post until client recieved his bike and sent in a great ride review. This project did consume Kelly who is up for a challenge but this one was something else :)

Great and I mean great looking bike....WOW :banana:

firerescuefin
06-13-2012, 05:57 AM
I am having a hard time adjusting to the aesthetic of the oversize headtube, though I understand the flexibility KB is engineering into it.

Ahneida Ride
06-13-2012, 07:11 AM
I am having a hard time adjusting to the aesthetic of the oversize headtube, though I understand the flexibility KB is engineering into it.

OS head tube was upon Customer Request ...

Ahneida Ride
06-13-2012, 07:12 AM
wow!
- wondering why KVA instead of XcR or 953
- is that campy EPS?

Yup Campy EPS ....one of the first out there .... :banana:

Ahneida Ride
06-13-2012, 07:13 AM
few questions though:

- is it really not drilled for a second bottle cage?
- what led to the material selections??

Customer specifically asked for only one bottle cage.
Frame is fully custom.
Customer requested a full stainless lugged frame.

Fixed
06-13-2012, 07:20 AM
futurestic industrial build
cool
cheers
i really like it
it takes guts to be different it looks like a mans bike

titans
06-13-2012, 07:54 AM
NICE! Leave it to Kelly to create another winner. Now if only he'd stop posting these creations cause every time he does my mind changes on my next Kelly build... :) One question though...why the welds?

Smiley
06-13-2012, 08:10 AM
NICE! Leave it to Kelly to create another winner. Now if only he'd stop posting these creations cause every time he does my mind changes on my next Kelly build... :) One question though...why the welds?

look carefully as these are HAND CUT SST made lugs because Kelly used over sized tubes where you don't have stock lugs sized for these diameters. This is a fully tricked out bike. Client requested it it this way or Kelly could have Tig'd it and been done with it :)

clweed
06-13-2012, 10:08 AM
i am having a hard time adjusting to the aesthetic of the oversize headtube, though i understand the flexibility kb is engineering into it.

+ 16 trillion

Fixed
06-13-2012, 10:56 AM
i would say the owner is a strong rider who knew exactly what he wanted
and got it ,
that bike would say look out the guy that rides me is a monster
cheers

jmoore
06-13-2012, 11:28 AM
+ 16 trillion

this.

but whatever floats your boat. KB obviously does fantastic work.

fiamme red
06-13-2012, 11:36 AM
The TIG welds on the lugs really stand out. An aesthetic choice, or is that necessary with KVA stainless tubes?

SamIAm
06-13-2012, 01:05 PM
I bet that is an awesome bike from a performance perspective. And the workmanship goes without saying, but I will go to my grave hating that oversized head tube.:)

zap
06-13-2012, 02:40 PM
Interesting but I still can't get used to the oversized ht-nor do I see a need.

But, other than weight, how does this kva tubing compare to ti

yankees1
06-13-2012, 03:24 PM
I bet that is an awesome bike from a performance perspective. And the workmanship goes without saying, but I will go to my grave hating that oversized head tube.:)

Kelly seems to get a lot of criticism for the over-sized head tubes but remember that it's usually a request by the customer. You can have any size head tube you want on your frame. He is one of the best at designing a frame to fit your needs so don't let it sway you from going with a Bedford. My Ti road frame is the best frame I've ever owned. It was delivered on time and fits like a glove!

firerescuefin
06-13-2012, 05:34 PM
Kelly seems to get a lot of criticism for the over-sized head tubes but remember that it's usually a request by the customer. You can have any size head tube you want on your frame. He is one of the best at designing a frame to fit your needs so don't let it sway you from going with a Bedford. My Ti road frame is the best frame I've ever owned. It was delivered on time and fits like a glove!

No one is hating on KB. His bikes speak for themselves. That Enve Carbon Tubed/Ti bike that was posted a couple of weeks ago, like many of his rides, was off the chain. Aesthetically, that OS headtube is love/hate. I am sure the guy that dropped that kind of coin loves it. I just can't get there.

tele
06-14-2012, 08:40 AM
Craftsmanship is undeniable--truly special.

But the OT head tube does stand out, whether on KB's bikes or Firefly or any other builder.

SamIAm
06-14-2012, 08:51 AM

You don't need to convince me on how great Bedfords are, I own one and it is an awesome ride!

But I still think you have to manage your brand a little bit by sometimes saying no. I'm not sure that head tube crosses that line or not, but its close.

pdmtong
06-14-2012, 11:55 AM
we're drfiting a bit here from the merited bike ogle, but I dont think 44mm HT crosses a line anymore than PF30, slopes, or ISPs...

The buyer wanted that aesthetic, kelly built it. cool. not trying to be argumentative, since we all have our opinios here but protecting the brand to me would have more to do with not building a 20cm HT on a 56TT than using the 44mm inset...

biggest question to me is why only one bottle mount. that just seems like a swing and a miss...

nbrewste
06-14-2012, 02:16 PM
Very cool bike. Love the raw aesthetic. Quality looks absolutely killer.

But...if I were spending $20k+ on a new fully custom bike, I'd have the geo adjusted so I didn't have to use 3cm of HS spacers. I mean that's the point of custom geometry, right? (And doesn't all that exposed steerer negate some of the stiffness gained by the oversized HT?)

pdmtong
06-14-2012, 03:59 PM
Very cool bike. Love the raw aesthetic. Quality looks absolutely killer.

But...if I were spending $20k+ on a new fully custom bike, I'd have the geo adjusted so I didn't have to use 3cm of HS spacers. I mean that's the point of custom geometry, right? (And doesn't all that exposed steerer negate some of the stiffness gained by the oversized HT?)

this is a bit tricky...since the inset headset makes the HT about 2cm taller than a "regular" HT+king headset, if you add 3cm to that now you have one very tall HT. so leqaving some spacers might have been purposeful.

that said, I be;leive the main arguement for 44mm inset is front end stiffness, so yes, leaving spacers seems to be counter to that.

Ahneida Ride
06-16-2012, 04:15 PM
The TIG welds on the lugs really stand out. An aesthetic choice, or is that necessary with KVA stainless tubes?

The lugs had to be hand built by Kelly since no standard lug would work.
They were tigged and not Fillet since the lugs were not to be painted.

basilic
06-19-2012, 04:52 AM
Beautiful craftmanship, and a unique bike.

But tigged faux lugs so that one can braze tubes within? 5 cm of spacers on a custom? stiff isp with an orthopedic saddle? quite a tongue in cheek commentary on post-modern framebuilding. You have to hand it to the owner, nothing shy about that bike.

Ahneida Ride
06-19-2012, 05:34 AM
Kelly had truly extensive conservations with the owner.
No detail was left undiscovered.

zap
06-19-2012, 08:56 AM
Ray, can either you or Kelly post a comparison between ss vs ti. Both are corrosion resistant but how do the materials compare in terms of stiffness, durability, etc.

If I'm not mistaken, a year or two ago Kelly wasn't keen on building a frame with ss stay's. Has that changed.

Smiley
06-19-2012, 09:50 AM
Ray, can either you or Kelly post a comparison between ss vs ti. Both are corrosion resistant but how do the materials compare in terms of stiffness, durability, etc.

If I'm not mistaken, a year or two ago Kelly wasn't keen on building a frame with ss stay's. Has that changed.

You are refering to SPOKES bike where Kelly did not think he could get a stiff rear end to satisfy SPOKES requirements, since then the rear stays are more to Kelly's liking from a stiffness standpoint.

zap
06-19-2012, 01:51 PM
Yes, thank you :).

rugbysecondrow
06-19-2012, 02:22 PM
I like the head tube on this frame, it flows to the fork seamlessly as they are of similar girth.

Very nice bike, would love a ride report.

Fixed
06-19-2012, 03:28 PM
I like the head tube on this frame, it flows to the fork seamlessly as they are of similar girth.

I agree 100%
Cheers

Ahneida Ride
08-07-2012, 09:43 AM
we're drfiting a bit here from the merited bike ogle, but I dont think 44mm HT crosses a line anymore than PF30, slopes, or ISPs...

The buyer wanted that aesthetic, kelly built it. cool. not trying to be argumentative, since we all have our opinios here but protecting the brand to me would have more to do with not building a 20cm HT on a 56TT than using the 44mm inset...

biggest question to me is why only one bottle mount. that just seems like a swing and a miss...

Client specifically requested one bottle mount.

Ahneida Ride
08-07-2012, 09:46 AM

Kelly built my Bedford (66 cm) with KVA Stainless seat and chain stays.

Kelly likes the KVA stainless. I'll post some good pictures soon.

roguedog
08-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Hmm.. why the love for the KVA? I mean, what makes it different?

Dave Wages
08-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Hmm.. why the love for the KVA? I mean, what makes it different?

I won't pretend to speak for Kelly, but the reasons why I use KVA tubing are as follows.

1. US company
2. If they say it's in stock, then I can have it within a week, with some "other" companies I've waited MONTHS for delivery of tubing. This can really disturb delivery times to say the least.
3. In my experience, 953 is incredibly strong, but it's also incredibly hard to work with, ie, difficult to cut and miter, file, etc... KVA is still very strong, but they've dialed back the ultimate strength enough to make it at least workable. Not to say it's easy, it still eats files and hacksaw blades, but it's much better than 953, IMO.
4. KVA is also very responsive to builders input, within a month or so of mine and a couple other builder's request for a double tapered seat stay, they had one in stock, and that's pretty cool.

Cheers,
Dave

nahtnoj
08-07-2012, 10:43 PM
What is the point of TIG welding the HT and then sleeving it with additional material? That isn't a lug. Its an externally reinforced TIG welded HT. I'd buy a "bi-lam" argument were it brazed.

Sometimes the customer needs to hear the word "no".

jerome
08-25-2012, 03:22 PM
for me it doesn't look as nice as a Firefly, a Seven Axiom SL or a VaMoots CR or RSL
sorry, but a bike is made to be ridden and this one doesn't look like that so much it doesn't call for a ride, i am pretty sure the ride is not that great for a bike of that level.

Smiley
08-25-2012, 04:11 PM
for me it doesn't look as nice as a Firefly, a Seven Axiom SL or a VaMoots CR or RSL
sorry, but a bike is made to be ridden and this one doesn't look like that so much it doesn't call for a ride, i am pretty sure the ride is not that great for a bike of that level.

All that counts is how the buyer feels about his new ride, and trust me when I tell you he loves it. Custom bikes are built for individual clients and not for mass appeal. This one hit all its marks for that client. I respect your opinion but its narrow minded in the fact that you forget it was built with ONE person in mind the guy that paid the freight :)

Ahneida Ride
08-25-2012, 04:25 PM
A prominent NYC surgeon commissioned Kelly to build this bike .....
in collaboration with Blue Sky Bicycles in Saratoga NY.

The owner is riding the **** outa it. It's already got several thousand
mikes on the odometer, plus a 2 week European tour.

It's Campy Electronic Equipped, and about the only think Kelly did not
hand make are the tubes.

This surgeon has owned and ridden just about everything out there.
(uh, He has the frns)

Ahneida Ride
08-25-2012, 04:30 PM
What is the point of TIG welding the HT and then sleeving it with additional material? That isn't a lug. Its an externally reinforced TIG welded HT. I'd buy a "bi-lam" argument were it brazed.

Sometimes the customer needs to hear the word "no".

The lugs are not painted. They are polished. Thus the lugs could
not be Fillet brazed as the Fillets must be painted.

Ahneida Ride
08-25-2012, 04:36 PM
I won't pretend to speak for Kelly, but the reasons why I use KVA tubing are as follows.

1. US company
2. If they say it's in stock, then I can have it within a week, with some "other" companies I've waited MONTHS for delivery of tubing. This can really disturb delivery times to say the least.
3. In my experience, 953 is incredibly strong, but it's also incredibly hard to work with, ie, difficult to cut and miter, file, etc... KVA is still very strong, but they've dialed back the ultimate strength enough to make it at least workable. Not to say it's easy, it still eats files and hacksaw blades, but it's much better than 953, IMO.
4. KVA is also very responsive to builders input, within a month or so of mine and a couple other builder's request for a double tapered seat stay, they had one in stock, and that's pretty cool.

Cheers,
Dave

Kelly would agree. !

rwsaunders
08-26-2012, 01:29 PM
Kelly had truly extensive conservations with the owner.
No detail was left undiscovered.

For $25K I hope not.

dougdye
08-26-2012, 03:56 PM
Amazing craftmanship.

d_douglas
08-27-2012, 01:54 AM
I echo others: it is a bit odd looking, but I think it looks sexy all the same. There is something gruesomely beautiful about it.

KB is a true master frame builder - I love this stuff!

Fixed
08-27-2012, 06:49 AM
He will not see another one like it even in central park
Cheers

Ahneida Ride
08-27-2012, 08:58 AM
For $25K I hope not.

How many frns are Lightweight wheels?
Campy Super Record EPS ?

Build with exotic components and the options can escalate faster
then a Porsche 911.

BumbleBeeDave
08-27-2012, 10:10 AM
. . . can easily be $5k a pair and Super Record EPS would add another $4-5k.

The bike is unusual, exotic, and I think it looks Kick-Ass. when you look at the prices on some of the other way high end bikes you can now get from larger manufacturers, $25k does not seem that out of line.

BBD

rwsaunders
08-27-2012, 11:31 AM
I think that CC is selling a Dogma with SR11 EPS for $16.5K, and J. Spinelli posted the build on a $25K bike a year or so ago, so the cost doesn't surprise me given the labor involved and the use of exotic parts and such.

My comment was made to say that if you're spending that much on a bike, I would expect that the builder would go to every length possible, to ensure that you received a "one of", and that no design stone was left unturned.

nahtnoj
08-27-2012, 11:55 AM
The lugs are not painted. They are polished. Thus the lugs could

I understand they are not painted. That's obvious.

What I don't understand why they are there at all. If you are going to TIG the "lugs" why not just TIG the bike?

Because the customer wanted stainless, "lugs", and OOS tubing?

Again, the word "no" doesn't hurt every now and then.

Complicated solutions to things that aren't problems is a running theme here.

Ahneida Ride
08-27-2012, 02:13 PM

What I don't understand why they are there at all. If you are going to TIG the "lugs" why not just TIG the bike?

That's why it's called K. Bedford Customs and not K. Bedford Bicycles.

Cat3roadracer
08-27-2012, 06:34 PM
In my opinion the frame is absolutely beautiful. I can't, however, get past the battery below the bottle cage. It looks clunky and heavy. I would assume in months to come the batteries will be "burried" someplace within the tube set.

soulspinner
08-28-2012, 06:42 AM
Purposeful build :hello:

jimcav
08-30-2012, 09:26 PM
Thus the lugs could

I thought with stainless you used silver solder, so couldn't you NOT paint a fillet brazed stainless--only need to polish the silver if you cared about tarnish/patina?

seriously curious--I want a fillet brazed stainless bike, but so far haven't found anyone to do it. I did email KB about it, and he indicated it was an interesting challenge (but we never got to any paint level discussion)

jim

Ahneida Ride
11-01-2012, 05:59 PM
I thought with stainless you used silver solder, so couldn't you NOT paint a fillet brazed stainless--only need to polish the silver if you cared about tarnish/patina?

seriously curious--I want a fillet brazed stainless bike, but so far haven't found anyone to do it. I did email KB about it, and he indicated it was an interesting challenge (but we never got to any paint level discussion)

jim

The lugs are custom hand made from two Stainless sections...
The only way the Stainless sections can be mated is by Tig welding.

Mtmooradian
03-21-2013, 10:29 AM

Correct me if im wrong but I would think structurally, welding the lugs makes perfect sense. They are thicker and wouldn't be as affected by the weld area. In a sense they are no different then a standard cast lug. Leaving the bead is an visual preference . Thin stainless tubes not the best for welding (Harding). So with this setup you get your cake and get to eat it too

bicycletricycle
03-21-2013, 10:54 AM
that bike is cool, too bad about the headtube.