PDA

View Full Version : OT: Attention Photographers - Awesome Camera Bags on Kickstarter

rkalams
06-12-2012, 05:08 PM
I love this forums because it's a vehicle to not only discuss and exchange information about a sport we're passionate about but it's also a fantastic vehicle to help spread the word and support the people in our community. I know some of you are interested in photography so I thought I'd share with you all.

A friend of mine has a Kickstarter campaign going for some bags that he designed. He's right on pace to meet his funding goal and I wanted to do what I could to help spread the word to those that may be interested. Kickstarter is great but it only reaches a super small percentage of potential consumers and once the funding has ended, that's usually it. If you're into photography they're worth checking out.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/evanlane/langly-camera-bags-fashion-function

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m43vy71ujR1ql31oro1_1280.jpg

steampunk
06-12-2012, 10:18 PM
wow that IS cool. looks like a swiss alpine backpack. not being an obvious photo gear bag is already a plus, and this one has lots of style. thanks for sharing.

charliedid
06-13-2012, 07:10 AM
wow that IS cool. looks like a swiss alpine backpack. not being an obvious photo gear bag is already a plus, and this one has lots of style. thanks for sharing.

Yeah, because that Nikon D800 hanging around your neck doesn't give away the fact that you have a fancy camera.

thedude
06-13-2012, 02:57 PM
Sweet bag

tuxbailey
06-13-2012, 03:19 PM
Yeah, because that Nikon D800 hanging around your neck doesn't give away the fact that you have a fancy camera.

The first thing I do is change my camera strap so it doesn't say "Canon Digital, blah, blah."

I am amazed that when I travel I see people's camera with OEM strap that says "5D mark II", "D700" etc. it is like asking for people to pay attention so they can swipe it.

benb
06-13-2012, 03:37 PM
It's too hipster for me.. I'm not sure it would be functionally good enough, although if they added additional pictures maybe I'd bite if I'm misunderstanding.

I don't need/want to carry a laptop.

This doesn't look like it has the ability to fasten a tripod or other large items to the side of it.

If I'm going to stuff $10,000 worth of stuff in it I want a cleverly designed rain cover as well.

But the big issue is the shape & configuration of the opening flap. Unless the item you want is right on the top it will be a big pain to put the bag down, unpack the gear, find the item you want, and repack the bag.

All backpacks have this problem but this design seems to make it even worse... at least with a backpack that has a zippered hinge-style design you can put it down, unzip it, and access anything immediately.

I have about 4 bags and none are perfect.. it is good to see someone trying to come up with something new, this is definitely not a solved problem.

steampunk
06-13-2012, 05:17 PM

nobody pays attention to me with my film camera or obsolete dslr.

rkalams
06-13-2012, 05:28 PM
It's too hipster for me.. I'm not sure it would be functionally good enough, although if they added additional pictures maybe I'd bite if I'm misunderstanding.

I don't need/want to carry a laptop.

This doesn't look like it has the ability to fasten a tripod or other large items to the side of it.

If I'm going to stuff $10,000 worth of stuff in it I want a cleverly designed rain cover as well.

But the big issue is the shape & configuration of the opening flap. Unless the item you want is right on the top it will be a big pain to put the bag down, unpack the gear, find the item you want, and repack the bag.

All backpacks have this problem but this design seems to make it even worse... at least with a backpack that has a zippered hinge-style design you can put it down, unzip it, and access anything immediately.

I have about 4 bags and none are perfect.. it is good to see someone trying to come up with something new, this is definitely not a solved problem.

Can't argue with your styling preference and no doubt you can't cater to everyone with something like this.

RE: Tripod--
This was a request from a few different backers apparently. I think he is in the process of adding that capability.

RE: RainCover
They just upgraded the fabric to a water resistant canvas and water resistant zippers

RE: Packing/Unpacking
This is where I think the design is clever. The bag zips in half so your clothes and other items are kept separate from your camera/lenses. Rather than throwing everything in a backpacking and sifting through you unzip to access the lower portion.

Thanks for the input! It's this kind of constructive criticism that helps smaller operations like his further develop their products. I don't have any affiliation with his business pursuit, he's just a friend I knew growing up, but I'm stoked to see him developing something and hope he's successful with it.

benb
06-14-2012, 04:18 PM
Ok, they need better pictures.. if it zips in half in some way that you can access any of the photo gear without unpacking the bag AND it has a separate clothing area then I would probably be interested.

I'd still want a rain cover though.. my existing bags are all "water resistant fabric" too, but they still have rain covers. You need rain covers to help keep the rain from getting in through the bag openings, flaps, zippers, etc..

edit: I watched the video.. after finishing laughing at it I can see the bag is an innovative design and I'm probably interested. (Sorry the hipster element is just off the scale.. )

One more question though.. does it have a pad between your back and the laptop sleeve.. I've been through that before. It's really uncomfortable to have a laptop right against your spine.

If the laptop portion could hold a hydration pack and it got attachment points for tripods & additional bags it'd be just about perfect!