PDA

View Full Version : Seatpost Collar Specifications

tuco
09-14-2005, 02:03 PM
Constant adjustments to the height of my Legend Ti seatpost have resulted in a few busted bolts over the last five or so years. I figure the seatpost collar threads must be taking a beating too, so I am after a backup and/or replacement.

A quick&dirty measurement with calipers came up with approx. 29mm inside diameter on the collar and maybe a smidgen more on the outside diameter of the ti seat tube. Some browsing suggests the common sizes are more likely 28.6mm or 30mm. Anyone have a good idea on what the proper size is for the frame? ( I e-mail Serotta this morning with the same question. )

I am considering a quick release too. I figure that a seatpost adjustment is almost a weekly event. Oh... this is for an aluminum post... no CF for me.

Thanks for any info. or insights.

eddief
09-14-2005, 05:25 PM
I bet it's 30 though.

I have one of these on my ti bike and it looks real good.

http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&Category=188&Brand=359&type=T

aj4e
09-15-2005, 09:42 AM
I believe Serotta has produced a 29.4mm collar, but I don't know on which models it was used.

tuco
09-16-2005, 02:30 PM
I believe Serotta has produced a 29.4mm collar, but I don't know on which models it was used.

indeed, it is most likely that my 2000/01 legend it has a 29.4mm seat post collar. the word from serotta is that these are neither in stock, nor in production. the seat post collars in 29.4mm may be produced again as scheduling permits on their cnc machines.

i have not seen a 29.4mm collar on the 'net so the best i can figure is that i will have to order a 30mm collar and perhaps do some filing to make things work. this, to me, is a let-down. the bike is all of five or so years old and i am jerry-rigging parts to keep it on the road? silly. i may as well equip the bike with shi+mano so everything is obsolete in short-order.

the collars that appear to be the least likely to snap a bolt are going to be those similar to the salsa lip-lock. the difference b/w 29.4mm and 30.0mm is not a lot ... but, hey, serotta, stock the buggers. o.k.!