PDA

View Full Version : Rode the old MTB and loved it. Now need some advice.

Mr Cabletwitch
06-12-2012, 06:31 AM
Here's the story. I have an old schwinn homegrown hardtail mountain bike that I built up just for fun, mostly its been used to ride around the neighborhood but its seen the trail now twice. The first time I took it somewhere smooth and liked how it rode, so sunday I take it out to the most technical place around (Mt. Gretna) and loved it. Normally I ride a 29er hardtail, but with this thing I could hit all the lines and make all the tight turns. I won't give up my 29er, but I'm thinking about trading in my surly cross check (see below) to pick up a more modern 26er either a hardtail or 4-5" dually. I've never had a dually that could handle like a hardtail so I'm kinda leaning toward a beefy 26" hardtail. Anybody got any suggestions? I had an On One Inbred a while back and really liked it. Also I know the used market is soft but what do you realistically think I could get for my cross check. I'm not sure I did my self any favors on resale by painting it, however the paint job is pretty good. You won't offend me with your honest opinion.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/75527_3349078198052_204188481_n.jpg

rugbysecondrow
06-12-2012, 07:04 AM
Part it out if you are wanting to maximize your money. Otherwise, maybe $600.

Earl Gray
06-12-2012, 07:57 AM
If you love your homegrown and are willing to stick with a hardtail why do you want something newer.

Upgrade the homegrown if need be. A newer frame will not make ANY difference.

Mr Cabletwitch
06-12-2012, 09:35 AM
If you love your homegrown and are willing to stick with a hardtail why do you want something newer.

Upgrade the homegrown if need be. A newer frame will not make ANY difference.

I should have been more specific why I need/want to replace the homegrown. It recently developed a crack at the BB area and I repaired it, but I'm not sure how long the repair will last since it isn't feasible to heat treat the frame. The other issue is the current 80mm fork and the lack of disc brakes is really killing my arms if I ride for even close to 2 hours.

majorpat
06-12-2012, 09:38 AM
I have a 16" On One Inbred geared frame that needs a new home. PM me if your interested. No fork but has headset and I can also scare up some other parts for cheap.

Pat

Earl Gray
06-12-2012, 09:46 AM
I should have been more specific why I need/want to replace the homegrown. It recently developed a crack at the BB area and I repaired it, but I'm not sure how long the repair will last since it isn't feasible to heat treat the frame. The other issue is the current 80mm fork and the lack of disc brakes is really killing my arms if I ride for even close to 2 hours.

Very sound reasoning. I should have thought about the brakes myself. That alone is sound reasoning.

batman1425
06-12-2012, 09:49 AM
I'd be interested in some of those Rival parts if you are looking to part it out. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Mr Cabletwitch
06-12-2012, 10:33 AM
Thank You Major Pat, looks like I'll be building up an inbred like my old one :banana:

Once again this forum comes through with sound advice and awesome help.

Batman, I'll be keeping the Cross Check, but I do have a rear der. and a 1070 cassette (11-25) both with around 500-700 miles if you are in need I'll gladly throw you a deal.

chuckred
06-13-2012, 08:23 AM
If you already have a 29 hard tail you like, why not go fs? Then you've got a nice range of options. Something like a Yeti ASR or 5, maybe even sb95 if you want to stay with 29.

bobswire
06-13-2012, 08:32 AM
Can't help you on setting a price for the surly but I love my Homegrown.
I gave my Homegrown to my son a few years ago and rode different mountain and 9ers after. I just recently traded my son back for the Homegrown. Great bike, geo is perfect for the kind of riding I do which is pretty basic.

Mr Cabletwitch
06-13-2012, 08:57 AM
If you already have a 29 hard tail you like, why not go fs? Then you've got a nice range of options. Something like a Yeti ASR or 5, maybe even sb95 if you want to stay with 29.

I've had a few full suspension bikes and for the riding I do 85% of the time I feel like I'm draggin around a couple extra pounds of bike for nothing. I actually just demoed a Niner Jet9 and just didn't like it. I'm looking to add a beefy 26er to the quiver mostly for just the one place I ride, and its so technical I actually prefer a hardtail so that I can maneuver the bike better, not to mention with the hookup from major pat I can keep the cross check and replace the homegrown so its a win win.

JAGI410
06-13-2012, 09:31 AM
On-One frames are cheap online right now (around $200) and the Inbred is still a great bike. That CrossCheck should sell quick at $650, don't go less than $600.

avalonracing
06-13-2012, 10:06 AM
26ers are the new 29ers and geared bikes are the new single-speeds!
:hello: