PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Computer Interference

biker72
06-12-2012, 06:24 AM
I've got a Cateye Strada wireless computer on two of my bikes. Last Sunday I was stopped at an intersection and noticed my computer seemed to be going crazy. The display was showing random numbers.

I rode away from the intersection and everything went back to normal. When I got home my computer registered my maximum speed at 65mph and average at 31mph. With numbers like this I could be the oldest TDF rider ever.....:)

There must have been some electro-magnetic interference at that intersection.

palincss
06-12-2012, 07:17 AM
You aren't the first to notice such effects.

oldpotatoe
06-12-2012, 07:58 AM
I've got a Cateye Strada wireless computer on two of my bikes. Last Sunday I was stopped at an intersection and noticed my computer seemed to be going crazy. The display was showing random numbers.

I rode away from the intersection and everything went back to normal. When I got home my computer registered my maximum speed at 65mph and average at 31mph. With numbers like this I could be the oldest TDF rider ever.....:)

There must have been some electro-magnetic interference at that intersection.

Lotsa powerlines, traffic lights, poles at that intersection? That's what's doin' it.

Copy to the wireless shifting crowd.

I listen to a fairly weak FM station that gets all static when stopped at just about any intersection here in the republic.

benitosan1972
06-12-2012, 08:04 AM
Interference... Or you could also need a new battery

biker72
06-12-2012, 10:55 AM
I went to the same intersection this morning with a different bike/computer. Same result.

There are a number of power lines in the area but I noticed what looked like a "red light camera" that may have its own transmitter.

Mark McM
06-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Lotsa powerlines, traffic lights, poles at that intersection? That's what's doin' it.

Yup. I've even had this happen to wired computers in some locations (usually around high-tension power lines).

Copy to the wireless shifting crowd.

This shouldn't happen to wireless shifting if the design engineers knew what they were doing. Encrypted wireless modules that are small, cheap and low power are readily available today. Many of us have them in our pockets right now, as automobile remote key fobs. The auto industry figured this out a long time ago, since it would be bad news if our car doors randomly locked/unlocked if we parked near power lines.

Mud
06-12-2012, 11:07 AM
Sat at a left turn light. Did 85mph and 3/4 mile waiting for the arrow. Cateye Micro Wireless.

stusf
06-12-2012, 11:23 AM
ANT+ solves the problem, downside is no-one makes a cheap one that I'm aware of.