PDA

View Full Version : Your position on the saddle during hard efforts

msasky
06-11-2012, 07:02 PM
What's the deal? Why does sliding back feel much better. But, when you see guys absolutely flying they're all on the rivet? (just look at the guy on the banner he's on the rivet and leaving tracers)

Coaches. How do I crush my friends in a long sprint without resorting to sliding back in the saddle and having to take PED's? How does setback play into this?

Thanks
-M

mtechnica
06-11-2012, 07:23 PM
Pushing back in the saddle is good for lower cadence efforts but the on the rivet thing is more like a simulated TT position where you also hunch over and bend down. The way to beat your friends is to be more powerful and more aerodynamic than they are, you can work on both of these factors.

DRietz
06-11-2012, 08:32 PM
When I ride SS, I move back on the saddle because it utilizes more muscle groups, and, thus, is more efficient.

When hammering, you can get on the nose because it'll mostly be your quads firing, which isn't very efficient but is rather powerful (i.e. boom boom Boonen).

fogrider
06-12-2012, 12:51 AM
it kind of depends on how you setup your seat, but in general, it puts your knees more over the pedals. this means putting your weight more over the pedals. if you're doing a long sprint, I like to use a lower gear to get my spin high and then shift to a higher gear and pound it to the line...timing is key and you should practice. the tricky thing is that at the end of a long ride you never know how much you have left in your legs. easy to be in a big gear and run out of gas if you go too soon. good luck.

jvp
06-12-2012, 05:07 AM
On the rivet!

weiwentg
06-12-2012, 06:25 AM
if it feels better for you to slide back, then why don't you do that?

I certainly get on the rivet, because that's what my body tells me to do. I have short legs. but that's me, maybe you have long legs, maybe your seat isn't far back enough, etc.

Lovetoclimb
06-12-2012, 07:33 AM
I don't know the exact number but my recent fit revealed I am happy with a large setback. This is in agreement with my preference for sitting farther bAck on the saddle and using my hammies and glutes as much as possible. I am also tall and lean, a good thing yes, but bad for sprinting because I lack the strong powerful quads with fast twitch muscles. Hence my handle, I prefer long grueling climbs! Does anyone notice pelvic/hip rotation when they shift on the saddle? Something I have been trying to control.

FlashUNC
06-12-2012, 07:40 AM
How do I crush my friends in a long sprint without resorting to sliding back in the saddle and having to take PED's? -M

Suck their wheels and come around for a short sprint.

CunegoFan
06-12-2012, 12:20 PM
Forward for hammering on the flat. Back to increase leg extension for climbing.

jr59
06-12-2012, 12:39 PM
How do I crush my friends in a long sprint without resorting to sliding back in the saddle and having to take PED's? How does setback play into this?

Thanks
-M

Train smarter, and harder. Get in better shape. Lose weight. Ride more and longer intervals.
Hire a coach and a nutritionist.

That ought to give you a good start!