PDA

View Full Version : What a life for a cyclist

cnighbor1
06-11-2012, 04:34 PM
I talked to a woman on Mt. Diblo. she mentioned she lives 25 miles north of Malibu. She leaves her home near Pacific coast Highway and with the wind at her back she flys to Malibu at 25 mph than turns around and at 13 mph rides home
Think of the senery she rides past.
than for a break rides up into the caylons above Highway 1
What a life for a cyclist
Charles

Jaq
06-11-2012, 10:21 PM
It's some of the prettiest riding in So Cal. The Santa Monica mountains have some terrific climbs & descents. The Malibu Challenge is a century through there that has something like 12,000 feet of climbing in a single day.

Of course, there are all kinds of cyclists, but it's always fun to meet someone on the road through Malibu and they have this expression that's like "man, can you believe how lucky we are?"

christian
06-11-2012, 10:35 PM
I've lived in Malibu. Now I live in Westchester County, NY. The riding is better here. No joke.

Louis
06-11-2012, 10:49 PM
I think I'd prefer the tailwind going home.

Louis
06-11-2012, 10:50 PM
The riding is better here. No joke.

Can't be better during the winter.

Gummee
06-11-2012, 10:51 PM
For sheer variety of terrain, the DC area is better than Sandy Eggo too. The only thing we're really lacking are the big ole climbs out in the East County.

M

cat6
06-11-2012, 10:53 PM
On August 20, 1979, Terrell made his pitching debut for the Royals in the ninth inning against the New York Yankees at Royals Stadium, and retired the Yankees on three pitches; the Yankees were ahead 16–4 at the time and Terrell hurled on an emergency basis

54ny77
06-11-2012, 11:13 PM
I sorta agree, having lived there too (but I still absolutely positively hate east coast winters). The options for a steady, flat-ish fun and/or easy ride are...PCH north and....PCH north. Anywhere north of Malibu for variety you turn right (if going north) and go uphill. If you ain't in shape, your day will suck.

I do wish Westchester had some hills like Latigo, Kanan Dume, Mulholland, Encinal, etc. Even Old Topanga, loved it on an early weekend morning, no traffic.

I've lived in Malibu. Now I live in Westchester County, NY. The riding is better here. No joke.

oldpotatoe
06-12-2012, 07:41 AM
I talked to a woman on Mt. Diblo. she mentioned she lives 25 miles north of Malibu. She leaves her home near Pacific coast Highway and with the wind at her back she flys to Malibu at 25 mph than turns around and at 13 mph rides home
Think of the senery she rides past.
than for a break rides up into the caylons above Highway 1
What a life for a cyclist
Charles

Lived in Camarillo( stationed at Pt Mugu)..Often rode to PCH-1, turned left, rode to Santa Monica, Zuma Beach, Pepperdine...always something to see, including topless bathers, a movie being filmed on the beach, stopped next to Johnny Carson in a great big Mercedes..great rides. Late 80s-

estilley
06-13-2012, 12:27 AM
West Coast Best Coast.

charliedid
06-13-2012, 07:08 AM
No matter where you live, riding is always preferable to working.

Jaq
06-13-2012, 09:11 AM
No matter where you live, riding is always preferable to working.

Was out on a ride the other day around lunch time and stopped at a light next to an old guy on a Moots. He looked over, smiled, and said "it's 2 o'clock in the afternoon in the middle of the week and we're on bikes. Can you beat it!?"

Then he left me in his dust. Friggin' old people.

Bob Loblaw
06-13-2012, 11:05 AM
Everything is a trade-off. I went to school at UCLA, and rode the canyons, PCH, etc. Some great rides out there, but traffic is pretty bad just about everywhere and any time.

I live in CT now and the winters suck and it rains a lot, but the traffic is much lighter where I ride on country backroads.

IMO the Central California coast, SLO to Santa Barbara, is God's country for cycling. Awesome weather year round, amazing climbs and a strong cycling community.

BL

gaucho753
06-13-2012, 01:24 PM
I grew up just over the hills from Malibu. I miss riding in that area. Some of my favorite rides were Decker Canyon, Mulholland above the Rock Shop, Encinal Canyon, scenic Hidden Valley by Lake Sherwood, Portrero Road into Camarillo, Mulholland from Leo Carillo, stop at Neptune's Net for some fresh seafood and then the beast of a climb up Yerba Buena Rd from the PCH. It used to be there was hardly anyone on those roads and 39 x 24 was about all we needed no matter how steep the road. Always hated riding on PCH though. Too many drivers looking out at the water instead of paying attention to the road, and too much debris/glass on the shoulder.

54ny77
06-13-2012, 01:27 PM
when i lived in that area i had a 39x25 and thought that was plenty. saved the 25 only for when it was really, really needed and i was desperate.

of course, that was years and 35+ lbs ago....

oh how times change......now GIMME THAT 34X28!!!!!

I grew up just over the hills from Malibu. I miss riding in that area. Some of my favorite rides were Decker Canyon, Mulholland above the Rock Shop, Encinal Canyon, scenic Hidden Valley by Lake Sherwood, Portrero Road into Camarillo, Mulholland from Leo Carillo, stop at Neptune's Net for some fresh seafood and then the beast of a climb up Yerba Buena Rd from the PCH. It used to be there was hardly anyone on those roads and 39 x 24 was about all we needed no matter how steep the road.

charliedid
06-13-2012, 03:57 PM
was out on a ride the other day around lunch time and stopped at a light next to an old guy on a moots. He looked over, smiled, and said "it's 2 o'clock in the afternoon in the middle of the week and we're on bikes. Can you beat it!?"

then he left me in his dust. Friggin' old people.

+1

bcm119
06-13-2012, 05:32 PM
I used to live in Santa Barbara and during that time I never saw any reason to head south and ride on PCH. The riding is far better once you get north/west of the LA metro. In fact I'd rather be a cyclist in the east SF bay area than west LA/Malibu. And for a few months in late spring and early fall, I'll take the cycling in southern VT or western Mass. over anything in CA.

CaliFly
06-13-2012, 05:36 PM
Was out on a ride the other day around lunch time and stopped at a light next to an old guy on a Moots. He looked over, smiled, and said "it's 2 o'clock in the afternoon in the middle of the week and we're on bikes. Can you beat it!?"

Then he left me in his dust. Friggin' old people.

Gold.

Nags&Ducs
06-14-2012, 12:32 AM
Everything is a trade-off. I went to school at UCLA, and rode the canyons, PCH, etc. Some great rides out there, but traffic is pretty bad just about everywhere and any time.

I live in CT now and the winters suck and it rains a lot, but the traffic is much lighter where I ride on country backroads.

IMO the Central California coast, SLO to Santa Barbara, is God's country for cycling. Awesome weather year round, amazing climbs and a strong cycling community.

BL

Between the Santa Monica Mountains, the foothills of Boulder, and the rolling hills of Portland (Sherwood, West Linn, Stafford, West Hills), my favorite riding is still the Santa Monicas. Each has incredible scenery, challenging climbs, and swooping fast descents. But for me, as far as pure riding experience goes, I'll take the SM Mts over the rest. But Boulder is also my favorite place that I've ever lived and the summers in the PNW can't be beat- not by So Cal, or the Rocky Mts. Guess, we are lucky to enjoy riding, wherever we may live. :beer: