PDA

View Full Version : 9 speed chain recommendation

Jaq
06-11-2012, 12:16 PM
Need to buy a new 9-speed chain. Ordinarily, I'd just by a Record chain and call it a day. But I thought I might ask if anyone has a strong opinion and why?

I've never had a chain with a snap-link, and don't know if I can do that with a Campy chain. So the KMC and Wipperman chains look interesting. Don't mind running Shimano or Sram, either.

Was looking to spend about 30-40 bucks.

buldogge
06-11-2012, 12:22 PM
SRAM 951,71,91 work well...pick your level of finish/weight/price.

-Mark in St. Louis

John M
06-11-2012, 12:30 PM
The SRAMs work fine with Campy 9s, as does pretty much anything else. The cheap Wippermans rust like crazy, so I would avoid those. The SS Wipperman worked well for me on C9.

Ken Robb
06-11-2012, 12:40 PM
KMC worked well for me. Heck I've used Campy and Shimano too and they all worked fine.

thwart
06-11-2012, 12:43 PM
I've used Wipperman Connex links with a Record 9 spd chain, but also have carefully broken and reassembled several 9 spd chains (Campy, Shimano, SRAM) without any problems whatsoever.

Can't do that with 10 or 11 spd chains, tho...

AngryScientist
06-11-2012, 12:53 PM
my experience is that 9-sp chains are pretty robust, across the board. my big box LBS (REI/Campmor) sell sram chains, of various levels, for my 9-sp cross bike, i just buy those. they're cheap, they work, and they are readily available.

hiljentaa
06-11-2012, 01:00 PM
I've always ran Sram chains on my Campy 9s bike. They work well, and the quick link is great for cleaning.

Black Dog
06-11-2012, 01:17 PM
Campy chains are great and work well with a SRAM, KMC, or Wipperman quick link. SRAM chains stretch faster than any other brand I have used and the campy chains have lasted the longest. Just my 2 cents.

GRAVELBIKE
06-11-2012, 01:35 PM
Been running KMC X9.93 chains on a Shimergo drivetrain with no problems. Just make sure you wipe off the copious factory coating before your first ride.

Marcusaurelius
06-11-2012, 05:18 PM
I've used sram 971 chains with great success but I would use a 9 speed campagnolo chain with a 9 campagnolo drivetrain (they don't cost any more than any other brand).

oldpotatoe
06-12-2012, 07:43 AM
Need to buy a new 9-speed chain. Ordinarily, I'd just by a Record chain and call it a day. But I thought I might ask if anyone has a strong opinion and why?

I've never had a chain with a snap-link, and don't know if I can do that with a Campy chain. So the KMC and Wipperman chains look interesting. Don't mind running Shimano or Sram, either.

Was looking to spend about 30-40 bucks.

KMC, Sram or get a shimano with a Connex snap link. Not a fan of Wipperman chains altho I like their snaplink. Interesting that Campag still making 9s chains..but expensive for this consumable.

oldpotatoe
06-12-2012, 07:44 AM
I've used Wipperman Connex links with a Record 9 spd chain, but also have carefully broken and reassembled several 9 spd chains (Campy, Shimano, SRAM) without any problems whatsoever.

Can't do that with 10 or 11 spd chains, tho...

Can't really do that with sram 9s either..be careful.

oliver1850
06-12-2012, 11:12 PM
Can't really do that with sram 9s either..be careful.

I didn't realize that, although SRAM 9 chains (always?) come with a connector link.

What about C9 chains? I've always just pressed the pin out and back in. What's the Campy recommendation?

oldpotatoe
06-13-2012, 07:48 AM
I didn't realize that, although SRAM 9 chains (always?) come with a connector link.

What about C9 chains? I've always just pressed the pin out and back in. What's the Campy recommendation?

All sram come with a connector link and should be used.

Campag 9s chains were designed to push pin in and out, and on again, like the older Sachs chains and others. Campag 10s is not, nor are other 10s chains except for shimano.