PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse (TVT) Carbon7 issue

gis_guru
06-11-2012, 09:25 AM
Hello All

I am looking for someone here may be able to help me out. I have a TVT made Elclipse Carbon7 that was in the final stages of assembly when I realized that the internal routing for the rear brake was not working. The front cable stop/guide was damaged when I purchased it but I stupidly didn't think to check if the internal routing was ok. I contacted Calfee about a repair and they said that they didn't have the proper stops.

To this end I have a 3 part question:

1) Is there a place to find the original carbon stops? They seem to be made of the same carbon as the Modolo equipment of the same time period.
2) If they carbon are not available are there alloy versions around?
3) If neither of these is possible is there someone out there that can do a custom piece based on the originals (if I can remove them without destroying the frame)

I guess The fourth part to this three part question is does anyone have another suggestion for a fix for this?

Thanks in advance for any guidance. I have attached a photo of the stop in question.

buldogge
06-11-2012, 03:40 PM
What about going to a full length of outer thru the TT???

Drill the existing holes to 5mm, dress the holes, and apply a little clear epoxy.

Or does it have an internal alloy tube?

-Mark in St. Louis

gis_guru
06-11-2012, 03:53 PM
There is an internal tube of some sort. I was thinking about drilling them out and the more I look for replacements the more likely it seems that this may be what I end up doing. My only fear is that my ham-fisted repair attempts will damage the carbon tubes so I am keeping that as my last option. Thanks

buldogge
06-11-2012, 04:15 PM
What is the internal problem exactly?
...a misalignment of the stop and the internal tube??

My only worry would be if the internal tube is smaller diameter you will break the bond when drilling to 5mm. If you knew the internal tube was larger ID then you would be good to go.

-Mark

There is an internal tube of some sort. I was thinking about drilling them out and the more I look for replacements the more likely it seems that this may be what I end up doing. My only fear is that my ham-fisted repair attempts will damage the carbon tubes so I am keeping that as my last option. Thanks

choke
06-11-2012, 07:14 PM
If that was mine I'd probably clean up the stop as best as I could with a file/sandpaper and then epoxy a ferrule in place.

gis_guru
06-12-2012, 09:28 AM
Yep sorry i wasn't clear, the front stop is bunged up but the main issue is the misalignment/break in the internal tube. My fear is that once i drill the stops I will still have the tubing to deal with. I can handle a bit of rattle if it is free but if it doesn't come free I will have drilled stops and still be unable to get housing all the way through. I am uncertain of the the diameter or type of material tube is made of so that adds to my hesitance to got to the drill before I see if there another way out. Normally I would proceed with reckless abandon but I had this fully assembled with the exception of cable and it was so beautiful if am now scared to death of messing it up!

Calvin

keevon
06-12-2012, 11:35 AM
If I was in your position, I would run a full length of housing outside the tube and secure it with housing clamps (depending on the diameter of the TT) or those stick-on Jagwire housing guides.

Why muck with the frame before you've even ridden it? I would want to make sure it was a keeper before I invested time and money into carbon modification.

buldogge
06-12-2012, 11:57 AM
This is the safest bet for sure...at least you'll get to rides ASAP.

-Mark

If I was in your position, I would run a full length of housing outside the tube and secure it with housing clamps (depending on the diameter of the TT) or those stick-on Jagwire housing guides.

Why muck with the frame before you've even ridden it? I would want to make sure it was a keeper before I invested time and money into carbon modification.

gis_guru
06-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the input everyone. I have a week plus business trip coming up so I have plenty of time to think about it.

Chris

cinelli
06-13-2012, 12:27 PM
Can you run a bare brake cable from the opposite direction and see if it will pass that way? If it will, you may be able to "fish" another cable back through in the proper direction.

gis_guru
07-30-2012, 08:50 AM
I finally got the Eclipse sorted. After weeks of looking for a carbon replacement I was able to find steel stops from Nova Cycles Supply (http://www.cycle-frames.com/bicycle-frame-tubing/STEEL-INTERNAL-GUIDE-END-FOR-TOP-TUBE.html) that would roughly fit the area of the carbon stops. I spent Friday prying the front stop off and starting on the rear. Finished up Saturday pulling the rear stop. Sunday Spaceman3 and I epoxied the stops on and I spent last evening polishing them. We briefly flirted with the idea of painting them flat black but ended up on the side of high polish and clear coat. I will probably end up running Alligator iLink cable instead of Jagwire Hyper as I had planed but it should work out well. Thanks again for all of the input!

spacemen3
07-30-2012, 08:55 AM
Right on, the stops look seriously better than what the frame originally had! I'm excited to get them cleared and the bike built. :beer: