PDA

View Full Version : speed in all the wrong places...

Ti Designs
06-10-2012, 12:37 AM
Liz and I were out on the tandem today, I own a red tandem 'cause it's fast. We can haul along on the flats faster than most singles, so we catch and pass a few riders here and there. I always say "Hi", as does Liz, if she tells me they're trying to get on I'll probably back it down to help. Our speed isn't a statement about being faster than anyone else, it's just how we roll - did I mention it's a big red tandem? There are so many riders out there taking it as a race, and pushing their advantage where they can. We stop at traffic lights and stop signs and we yeild to those who have the right of way. Today, as we stood waiting for a light to change, a guy we passed went zipping past on the sidewalk, nearly got taken out by a car on the cross street, then proceeded to sprint away until his legs gave out and he slowed right down. We went by about a block later, but we came into Concord center and geared down to deal with the traffic. Once again he comes ripping past, I counted four cars that had to nail their brakes, to say nothing of the people in the crosswalk.

Back when I was racing they had pros, cat 1's, 2's, 3's and 4's. Is far as I know three was no racing catagory known as "idiot" (those who know a lot about junior racing in the late 70's might disagree...) What does one hope to gain by doing things like this? Has competitive nature taken over all other brain function?

rugbysecondrow
06-10-2012, 07:01 AM
I don't get this either. I am a runner too and I can't imagine trying to race every single runner who passed me. I try to let the goal of my ride dictate how I ride.

Many cyclists take themselves WAY too seriously. I volunteered at a triathlon as a bike guide for the lead runner, not to pace them but wind them through the course. One of the guys who was there for the same purpose showed up kitted out wearing a Polka Dot Jersey...seriously guy? You are not the racer, your job is to bike about 11 MPH and make sure the real racer doesn't get lost. But his guy brought his too cool for school attitude, pretty funny actually since he drove about 5 miles to the race, got kitted up to ride about 6 miles, then drove home.

BillG
06-10-2012, 07:14 AM
Liz and I were out on the tandem today, I own a red tandem 'cause it's fast. We can haul along on the flats faster than most singles, so we catch and pass a few riders here and there. I always say "Hi", as does Liz, if she tells me they're trying to get on I'll probably back it down to help. Our speed isn't a statement about being faster than anyone else, it's just how we roll - did I mention it's a big red tandem? There are so many riders out there taking it as a race, and pushing their advantage where they can. We stop at traffic lights and stop signs and we yeild to those who have the right of way. Today, as we stood waiting for a light to change, a guy we passed went zipping past on the sidewalk, nearly got taken out by a car on the cross street, then proceeded to sprint away until his legs gave out and he slowed right down. We went by about a block later, but we came into Concord center and geared down to deal with the traffic. Once again he comes ripping past, I counted four cars that had to nail their brakes, to say nothing of the people in the crosswalk.

Back when I was racing they had pros, cat 1's, 2's, 3's and 4's. Is far as I know three was no racing catagory known as "idiot" (those who know a lot about junior racing in the late 70's might disagree...) What does one hope to gain by doing things like this? Has competitive nature taken over all other brain function?

Was Liz talking smack to the rider from the back of the tandem?

Chance
06-10-2012, 07:16 AM
Has competitive nature taken over all other brain function?

Yes. Because we’ve all been taught we are "special".

Just yesterday was watching an older TV show where a mother was teaching her two kids that they needed to learn their place in life. Today we teach all kids they can do or be anything if they just try hard enough. It's impossible for that to add up but we keep repeating anyway. As a minimum it makes for a lot of unhappy people. Reality sucks. As a group we are just average.

Climb01742
06-10-2012, 07:22 AM
a few days ago on a ride, i stopped at a four-way stop. there were cars at all four stop signs. and a paceline of about 10 'racing' riders blew through the intersection. i had two thoughts: what idiots. and this is the kind of stuff that makes cars dislike_all_riders. damn those @holes.

rugbysecondrow
06-10-2012, 07:24 AM
Yes. Because we’ve all been taught we are "special".

Just yesterday was watching an older TV show where a mother was teaching her two kids that they needed to learn their place in life. Today we teach all kids they can do or be anything if they just try hard enough. It's impossible for that to add up but we keep repeating anyway. As a minimum it makes for a lot of unhappy people. Reality sucks. As a group we are just average.

I was lucky enough to have a Freshman English teacher who preached this, and she was right. I remember her saying, "your mother and father may think you are special, but the rest of the world doesn't". This was a similar lesson I learned when I was 17 and in basic training. Once you stop worrying about everybody else, it is good fun just being "you".

oldpotatoe
06-10-2012, 07:38 AM

Yep, and cyclists wonder why people in cars hate people on bikes.

zap
06-10-2012, 07:56 AM
Fast tandems bring out the "special +" in people.

After 20 years of tandem riding, we've seen a few things.

Just yesterday.....oh never mind. Let's just say we were able to break away with a good buddy and we had a great time going 30-35+ mph through awesome VA countryside.

Fixed
06-10-2012, 09:11 AM
You know the old sayin you will never learn to ride fast until you learn to ride slow
Cheers :)

FlashUNC
06-10-2012, 09:22 AM
The only time I'll run a light here in Charlotte is when it won't change. Stupid sensors in the road aren't sensitive enough to pick up a cyclist, so it won't change. That's after waiting for a bit to see if it will roll though. Never just blow through a light.

thwart
06-10-2012, 09:29 AM
Ah... the 'red mist'.

He probably just left a cafe... caffeine can amplify it... :rolleyes:

estilley
06-10-2012, 09:33 AM
My favorite moment of this was when I went through the other side of a crosswalk at a yield intersection while a family was almost all the way through on the far side. I was in no way impacting their situation.

This guy behind me slammed on his brakes and waited until they were all the way through and then rides up to me and lectures, "You are a vehicle! You must stop for crosswalks and pedestrians!"

He then proceeds to run the next red light.

OnTheEllipse
06-10-2012, 09:41 AM
Villain in original post just sounds like he's new to riding a road bike.

Gummee
06-10-2012, 10:07 AM
Villain in original post just sounds like he's new to riding a road bike.

Maybe. Maybe not. I've met some long-time cyclists that still ride like that.

No, its not real bright, but they do it anyway

Hey Zap! Where were you yesterday?! I coulda used you. There's hills between my house and Marshall and back!

M

djg
06-10-2012, 11:19 AM

Well, as an old guy with an active license, forgive me for saying that all actual racing is some form of idiocy, just a type of idiocy I think is cool.

I think that the answer to your last question might be "yes." People who catch up to you at a light, wiggle into a position in front, and then start slow are a mild annoyance, but I get over it. People who think that they are racing strangers in traffic, or on crowded MUTs have their own issues. I sure as eff wish they'd be less of a danger to others, and indeed themselves, but it's not clear that there's much to be done about it.

soulspinner
06-10-2012, 01:05 PM
Yep, and cyclists wonder why people in cars hate people on bikes.

I ride with a guy I got into the sport and he rides dangerously. Last year a car popped him and at least he slows down for lights............but my argument with him is how can auto drivers respect us if we dont obey traffic laws?

mike p
06-10-2012, 02:27 PM
I admit it, I'm one of those jerks who has to chase down anyone I see on the horizon! Blame it on some kind of pavlovian response where my reward is self gratification as opposed to a dog biscuit! The other day I caught a glimpse of two riders far ahead. I put my head down and lit the afterburners! After half an hour I had reeled in my prize....two mormans in suite and ties passing out the good word! Whatever....still a victory ;-)

Mike

craptacular
06-10-2012, 06:45 PM
I admit it, I'm one of those jerks who has to chase down anyone I see on the horizon! Blame it on some kind of pavlovian response where my reward is self gratification as opposed to a dog biscuit! The other day I caught a glimpse of two riders far ahead. I put my head down and lit the afterburners! After half an hour I had reeled in my prize....two mormans in suite and ties passing out the good word! Whatever....still a victory ;-)

Mike

That is me as well. How can you not chase someone down? Maybe a couple years and some more maturity might change this. I don't ever do anything stupid while trying to chase people down, I stop at all stop signs and lights, but I still go all out to reel them in. And just like Mike, almost every time I get close to them, they are about 30 years older and 30 pounds heavier than me, and just out enjoying a beautiful day.

Bob Loblaw
06-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Two bicycles going the same direction is a race.

However, said race can be conducted safely and with respect towards traffic and the unsuspecting victims one is racing against.

BL

merlinmurph
06-10-2012, 08:05 PM
On a day like today - gorgeous ridng weather - I avoid Concord. Waaaaaay too many riders and way too many altercations with other cyclists and cars. Seriously. You get yelled at for simply being on the road. Just too many people. Too bad because it's a nice place to ride.

Fivethumbs
06-11-2012, 01:26 AM
Chasing people down is cool as long as you KEEP GOING after you catch them.

I don't understand the mentality of cyclists who cause grief to other people on the road. I couldn't care less if a cyclist runs a stop sign or red light or rides in the middle of the street as long as the cyclist is not getting in anyone's way. Drivers hate cyclists because they get in their way. A person who has to slam on their brakes as they go through an intersection because a cyclist did not feel like stopping is most likely going to harbor ill will towards all cyclists, which I don't want to have to deal with.

This morning I was out on a ride and going down a (one lane in each direction) mountain descent. I was going around a corner doing about 38 mph when all of a sudden there was a car going in the opposite direction, in my lane, coming straight at me. We barely missed each other. As I went by I saw the reason the car was in my lane. A group of about 15 cyclists were going up the mountain about 10mph and I guess they didn't want to ride single file in the bike lane, which was about 4 feet wide. Instead they took up the whole lane causing traffic to back up behind them. As I went by I counted 12 cars lined up behind them, all with pissed off drivers, waiting for an opportunity to go around the cyclists, of course by crossing over the double yellow line and driving in the lane going in the opposite direction.

Honey
06-11-2012, 01:41 AM
That sucks, although, it's kind of to be expected because people suck. such is life. I guess Shockley was right.

Chasing people down is cool as long as you KEEP GOING after you catch them.

I don't understand the mentality of cyclists who cause grief to other people on the road. I couldn't care less if a cyclist runs a stop sign or red light or rides in the middle of the street as long as the cyclist is not getting in anyone's way. Drivers hate cyclists because they get in their way. A person who has to slam on their brakes as they go through an intersection because a cyclist did not feel like stopping is most likely going to harbor ill will towards all cyclists, which I don't want to have to deal with.

This morning I was out on a ride and going down a (one lane in each direction) mountain descent. I was going around a corner doing about 38 mph when all of a sudden there was a car going in the opposite direction, in my lane, coming straight at me. We barely missed each other. As I went by I saw the reason the car was in my lane. A group of about 15 cyclists were going up the mountain about 10mph and I guess they didn't want to ride single file in the bike lane, which was about 4 feet wide. Instead they took up the whole lane causing traffic to back up behind them. As I went by I counted 12 cars lined up behind them, all with pissed off drivers, waiting for an opportunity to go around the cyclists, of course by crossing over the double yellow line and driving in the lane going in the opposite direction.

Ti Designs
06-11-2012, 05:29 AM

I've gotten into this argument at town meetings. A number of drivers feel that cyclists put them at danger because they have to give them enough room when passing that sometimes it puts the driver in danger. My response is always the same - it's the driver's responsibility to pass when safe, that doesn't change if it's a bicycle, slow moving construction vehicle or anything else you might find on the road. That's when the real reason cyclists annoy drivers comes out as they start to talk down to me, explaining the rules of the road (their own versions) as if I were a young child. A bike in the eyes of many drivers is a toy. They too probably learned how to ride a bike as a child, but to them it's not a means of transportation, it's something that should be restricted to your parents driveway. I have to say, the way a lot of cyclists ride only reinforces this view of cycling...

zap
06-11-2012, 09:40 AM
Hey Zap! Where were you yesterday?! I coulda used you. There's hills between my house and Marshall and back!

M

We were north of there.

Into VA from MD to Waterford, Purcellville, Lovettsville back into Merryland.

The very tandem friendly roads are Hillsboro & Mountain Rd.

Jaq
06-11-2012, 09:48 AM

Mike

Not until they dip you, man. And now that you're on their radar, the magic underwear is just a few home visits away. The good news is, it can double for kit in a pinch.

mike p
06-11-2012, 02:24 PM
;-)

Mike

benb
06-11-2012, 02:33 PM
I will chase people down but I won't break the law to catch them and I won't bury myself to do it.. just interesting to see whether I am going to catch them at my pace.

I get a major kick out of people running lights, etc.. to get ahead of you. I see it a lot.

Just a week or so ago I am starting my commute home (it was a nutty 38 mile ride) and a guy hops on my wheel at a light and drafts me for a while. He seems pretty nice and we talk but he is really out of breath sucking my draft and I wasn't riding super fast. At the next light I'm going to have to take a left across 4 lanes of traffic, I start signalling out across the lanes to get into the left turn.

Genius proceeds to turn right at the light, pull a u-turn, and then go through the green light that way rather then wait with me... then works his damnedest to make sure I don't catch him. I would have caught him again within one mile but he turned off.. not sure what I would have said to him after catching him if he jumped back on my wheel.

rpm
06-11-2012, 02:46 PM
My pet peeves include triathletes and paceline groups who decide to use bike trails for training. Week before last, I ran into both on a trail. Saturday morning, trail crowded with all kinds of riders including kids and even worse, a big charity ride. Through the midst of it all came about four very serious looking triathletes (all separately) down on the aero bars, weaving and shouting "On your left" all over the place.

Caught the trail again on the way back, and ran into a group ride from a bike shop. Pretty inexperienced riders trying to go fast, being herded by a couple of the shop's racers. Ironically, they often slowed to a crawl when they all had to pass a slower rider and there were people coming from the other direction. I decided to take a break and let them get up the trail so I wouldn't get caught up in their screwing around.

67-59
06-11-2012, 02:47 PM
Maybe I'm the exception, but I often don't chase down riders ahead of me even if I'm pretty sure I could catch and pass them.

I used to chase anyone down, pass and intend to pull away by holding the same pace. But all too often they'd did the same thing car drivers do when you pass them using your cruise control (i.e., holding your pace) -- they'd speed up and turn it into a race. (MAJOR pet peeve of mine when driving, by the way....)

Nowadays, if I see a rider ahead who's going roughly the same speed as me +/- a MPH or two, I often slow down a bit and hope they pull away or turn off. I only make the effort to pass if they're going a fair bit slower than I am and it's pretty clear that they aren't capable of turning it into a race when I pass them by.

If I wanted to race...I'd enter a race.

beeatnik
06-11-2012, 03:07 PM
Huntington Drive in the San Gabriel Valley is one of the most beautiful major streets in Southern California. Many riders in the SGV include it in their daily loops (along with the biggest group ride in the area, Montrose). For a wide, essentially 8 lane artery with a tree lined island, it's not a very congested street. Perfect for riding a bicycle. However, in its nicest sections Huntington runs through a couple of the wealthiest communities in the region so you don't see a lot riders who rely on the bicycle as their primary mode of transportation. Late last year, as I was turning onto this beautiful stretch of road, 30 minutes after the sun had set, my peripherals caught sight of an older gentleman who appeared to be from one of the southeast asian countries where bicycles rule the road. It appeared to me that he was riding a fully loaded bicycle with a giant basket and a week's full of groceries. He also had those neon lights that the kids attach to their spokes. Anyhoo, I turned right and shot up the street at 25mph. As I mentioned earlier, there isn't much automotive traffic on this street even during rush hour. So, to my surprise I could hear a bike behind me, 20-30 feet back. Somehow, this older man had kept pace with me. Well, the east bound section (foothills) we were on has a -1% grade. I sped up to 30mph. I could still feel this guy breathing down my neck. Got in the drops, hit a -2% section and even motorpaced to 35-40mph. A few minutes later I reach the first major intersection and stop at the red. As I'm recovering, a guy rolls up on a nice steel bike and says, "damn, I thought I was going to catch you, but you turned it on." He's about my age and is in "Fred" mode (that's how he described it) to maximize his visibility. The neon lights were actually attached to his valves. Not sure why I thought he had a basket. Short story long, my friends, I ended up completing a 20 mile loop with Al and we've become riding buddies. Riding up to Santa Barbara from Downtown LA at the end of the month.

Moral of the story. Be gracious in defeat. Or something...