PDA

View Full Version : Need Help

Steven
09-13-2005, 08:23 PM
I am currently looking to purchase a new frame. One of the frames which I am considering is a Serotta Ottrot.

Could any current users of such frames provide feedback on their opinion on its handling, climbing, descending abilities.

Thank you.

Dekonick
09-13-2005, 08:27 PM
They can make it ride pretty much how you want it to. No matter what Serotta makes a great frame.

Steven
09-13-2005, 09:11 PM
What has your experience been with Serotta bikes.

SoCalSteve
09-13-2005, 09:16 PM
more specific in your questions.

Also, tell us what you would like from a bike. Especially one that is going to cost big $$$.

If you let us know your expectations, you will probably be better served here. Many of us own more than one Serotta (I have 3) and can help you out.

Your on the right road...

Steve

809stockz
09-13-2005, 09:20 PM
Just an FYI, I test rode a CDA and a Legend Ti last Sunday. The Ti in the wind was like a HOT knife thru butter. I love the Ti, hope to bring the bad boy home next week. Good Luck!

Steven
09-13-2005, 09:29 PM
As a 6' 3 individual who weighs around the 190 pounds with long legs and a short torso I am after a bike that handles well.

I will be fitting the bike with Campaq Record group and a set of Zipp 404 clinchers.

Basically my dream would be to have a bike that would be relatively light (sub 17lb would be great, but realise may only get this with tubular rims), handle well on descents, climb well and respond quickly when needed.

dave thompson
09-13-2005, 09:48 PM
Steven: I've had my Ottrott for more than a year now and will flatly state it is the best bike I've ever had. With triple components and a Brooks saddle it's not a sub-17 pound bike. I weigh right around 200, have ridden back-to-back centuries with it and descended mountains here that have scared the crap out of me when I look back on them, but the bike has never given me a moments concern or fear. It's sure-footed and comfortable to boot. The term 'can do' comes to mind.

I've owned many bikes (and more than a handful of Serottas) but the Ottrott is a keeper.

MarinRider
09-13-2005, 10:20 PM
I have a race bike outfitted with SRM and weights only 16 and change. My Ottrott ST at 1.5 more is a far superior bike IMO. Get the SRM on the Ottrott than it would almost be perfect at 2 lbs more than my 16 lb race bike.

Don't know why so many people are so concerned about the weight. Ride with a camelpack and your bike will automatically be 2+ lighter, no?

Get tubular tires if you are spending big; you will notice a big difference. Concentrate on the geometry. Get lower BB and longer chain stays if you want a stable descender. ST option helps smooth things out but adds weight.

Work with your local fitter but also call Kelly and Ben at Serotta and tell them how you ride and what you like. Nothing beats going directly to the design source. Call IF, Moots, Seven, Pegoretti, Hampsten, Richie and speak to them too. I have always came back to Serotta everytime I wanted a custom rig. You might find and want something different. It's all good.

Good luck!

Steven
09-13-2005, 11:30 PM
Does anyone know how the Serotta Ottrot ST compares to the Pinarello Dogma FP and Opera Leonardo FP?

Doc Austin
09-14-2005, 12:26 AM
What has your experience been with Serotta bikes.

My experience has been good enough that I'll never own anything else. I'll probably never need to buy another new Serotta, either, because I can't kill my CSI and my TI is still low milage.

I figured that down the road I would buy another CSI, but they have stopped making them, so I'll just keep riding this one until............well, until the bury it with me.