PDA

View Full Version : Random acts of kindness

Wilkinson4
06-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Since there is a tremendous amount of 'piling on' going on in another thread I thought it would be good to go for something that is more positive. List random acts of kindness you have received or given, cycling related. I’ll go first.

I toured in 2003 for 47 days solo, camping most of the time. I had people buy me lunch, give me discounts, etc... The one I like the most was when I stayed at the State Line Resort between North and South Dakota. It was a long day, with it hitting 120F on the road into a head wind.

I checked in with the camp site ’mom’ and setup my tent. About 15 minutes later the camp site 'mom' stopped by with milk and cookies! She said I reminded her of her son. Today, I had to run to the store and outside there was a cyclist with a 29er and a HUGE trailer. A sign affixed to it saying, "I need a tire".

As I walked out, I thought about talking to him but I decided to head to the car. As I was driving away I thought about those cookies and I turned around. He had been on the road for 2 months, and he was heading home to Salida. During his tour he would take the bike off road to taste some single track and the sidewalls had several cuts, held together by shoe-goo.

Since I don't have a 29er I didn't have any tires I could give him. I wished him luck and drove down the road. Then I thought about those cookies again. Stopped by the LBS and asked Alex if a guy on a touring rig had stopped by. No he said. I told him the story and I asked if they had a used or take off 29er tire he could sell me cheap. Nope. But, he and his service manager dug around and whispered and threw me a deal on a tire, $25 out the door.

I drove back to the store to surprise this guy and he was gone! I had to think, if I was touring which way would I go. So I set off, about 5 minutes later I see him and flag him down. Hand him the tire and the look on his face was worth it. He said many thanks, stuffed it in his trailer and we parted ways.

mIKE

john903
06-09-2012, 02:24 PM
I totaly agree with Wilkinson4 we should try to look at opportunities to help someone it will make you day. Last weekend on a early sunday morning ride I met a rider with a flat and I pulled over to ask him if he needed anything. He said actually he had a flat and had forgotten to put his seat pouch back on so had no tube. I gave him a tube and found out he was really new to cycling coming from a running back ground so I showed him how to change the tube and got him back on the road. It was great and I it didn't do it to make me feel good I just helped him out for no other reason then "just because."
Anyway have a great day.

dustyrider
06-09-2012, 02:24 PM
I tried this once:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=108208

Maybe you'll get more traction!

Fixed
06-09-2012, 02:27 PM
Last week I posted about buying a flat used tire the next thing i know I got three good tires for free from Aaronf thanks
this forum is all about the love of cycling ,kindness and love go together .imho
and rugby has been kind to me in the past as well
Cheers thanks guys

Wilkinson4
06-09-2012, 02:28 PM
Shoot Dusty, I shoulda checked! Well, it has been two months so maybe there are some more!

mIKE

Earl Gray
06-09-2012, 02:36 PM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8149/7355233568_673a637f6b_b.jpg

I reinstalled this guys chain. Was it wrong of me to take his picture 1st?

It's the beach bum Triathlon consisting of a 1 mile soft sand run, 3 mile single speed beach cruiser bike ride, and 1/2 mile longboard paddle.

Disclaimer: the other 2 cyclist in the picture were there with me and fully aware that I had a camera.

Fixed
06-09-2012, 02:39 PM
There was. Time when I would have crushed that event
No , you did good earl
Cheers

cnighbor1
06-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Ask need anything
Charles

hokoman
06-09-2012, 05:33 PM
Not bike related, but happened last night. Went to the giants game and decided to drive to the south bay after. Ran home during the seventh inning stretch, packed and hit the road. Just before getting on the ramp onto the 280, an old lady was pulled over, hazards on, waving people down. My gf and I rolled up, asked what was wrong and she said she made the wrong turn and couldn't drive on the highway. People were honking at me and luckily it wasn't when the masses were headed home from the game yet. We pulled in front of her, my gf took the driver's seat. I ran back, asked her if I could drive her to he next exit (mariposa/18th) and she thanked me. 2 minutes later, she was driving away and I resumed my drive down south. We both felt good about it and it took a couple minutes. This lady was freaking out and I have no idea how long she was waving people down for.

majorpat
06-09-2012, 06:20 PM
Sort of bike related:

Driving home a few weeks ago, blasting in outside lane of highway. See a guy up ahead on a bike heading my way on the inside shoulder. My first thought, of course, was "look at this dillweed, doesn't he know better than ride on a highway (freeway for your left-coasters)" As I get closer I can clearly see he is a young guy with Down's Syndrome, now I feel like a jackhole. Couldn't get over so I keep trucking, hoping for the best for that kid. Then I realize I better call 911 and the operator asks if he had a blue shirt. I think so, I say and the guy says that they have a missing person matching that description. Rode the rest of the way home worrying about him, hoping the cops reached him quick.

Sometimes you just have to follow your best instincts and help folks out. Hope his mom was happy to see him. Maybe it makes up for some of my jerk-ier moments.

Pat

bart998
06-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Many years ago.... back in the 80's. I was staying in Tahoe and on a ride over the passes. Somewhere near Minden NV I got a flat that about cut the tire in half. This was in the middle of nowhere, pre-cellphones. So, I started walking. After about a half-hour, a mom in a station wagon full of kids stops to help. I wouldn't pick up a 20 year old guy, dirty from riding all day, in the middle of the desert, with my car full of kids. But, she did.

Thanks, again!

moose8
06-09-2012, 07:18 PM
I like the tone of this thread better than some others. I had a mechanical where my bike was not going to be rideable in any fashion while 30 miles from my house and no friends around that weekend. A guy in a station wagon went by, turned around and came and gave me a ride to a train station so I could get home. He really saved my day and also clearly went out of his way as he called his wife to tell her he'd be late because he was helping me out. He said before he had kids he used to ride a lot and when he saw me he knew how much it probably stunk so he turned around to help. It was much appreciated.

On a far lesser note, I gave a guy who flatted and was a few miles from anything a tube today and he was crazy appreciative and kept trying to pay me for it but I told him just to give someone else a tube. I have to admit I was kind of annoyed to stop but I felt like I had to especially because a couple of weeks ago I flatted and had stupidly forgotten a pump and no one stopped to help.

Elefantino
06-09-2012, 07:40 PM
When I broke my neck on a ride in 2001, the EMTs had to cut off my jersey. It was my RFTR jersey, earned just months earlier in Austin. It was my favorite. I protested as they cut it off, but to no avail.

Skip forward to my return to work three months later. Waiting for me was the same RFTR jersey, a new one. My staff had contacted the LAF for a replacement, which the folks in Austin graciously sent.

That's kindness I could never hope to repay.

Postscript: Five months after the first accident, I was in another. The EMT who was working on the occupants of the car that t-boned me saw me and said, "Hey, you're the bike guy who was cussing me out for cutting off your jersey!"