PDA

View Full Version : Campy--Centaur, Veloce, Xenon?

atl001
06-09-2012, 07:58 AM
I'm considering building up a bike with Campy, but don't have any experience with their groups and don't see any in local shops. In the Shimano product line, I like Ultegra just fine, even with some 105 pieces (maybe chain, cassette, BB, brifters), but wouldn't want to go below that for a nicer bike. Guidance please as to how far down the Campy product line I should consider for a comparably nice (in quality and function) build on a budget? (10s would be fine)

Many thanks

binxnyrwarrsoul
06-09-2012, 08:04 AM
10 Speed. Start at Veloce on up. Centaur ('00-'06) is the best of all worlds, IMO. A relative bargain, and functions (most of the differences are aesthetic, although Veloce/Centaur square taper cranks use different length BBs) 98% the same as upper end Chorus and Record, IME. I believe Centaur/Athena is Ultegra level in Campy's hierarchy.

oldpotatoe
06-09-2012, 08:12 AM
I'm considering building up a bike with Campy, but don't have any experience with their groups and don't see any in local shops. In the Shimano product line, I like Ultegra just fine, even with some 105 pieces (maybe chain, cassette, BB, brifters), but wouldn't want to go below that for a nicer bike. Guidance please as to how far down the Campy product line I should consider for a comparably nice (in quality and function) build on a budget? (10s would be fine)

Many thanks

For 10s Veloce or Centaur. Centaur is Veloce with some carbon bits(like some cranks, levers, RD pieced), function is the same.

Athena has similar shifters, bits, etc but is 11s so it will have a Chorus cogset and chain.

Athena or Centaur is what I would recommend. All aluminum Athena(which I have on my Waterford) is very nice and cheaper than ultegra.

earlfoss
06-09-2012, 11:11 PM
I've been riding/racing with Centaur 10 and it's been completely dependable. I have replaced the shifters once over 3 years and the rest had held up great.

oldpotatoe
06-10-2012, 07:44 AM
I've been riding/racing with Centaur 10 and it's been completely dependable. I have replaced the shifters once over 3 years and the rest had held up great.

Why did you 'replace' the shifters? They are rebuildable.

oliver1850
06-10-2012, 12:09 PM
If you're talking current production, there's little reason to go with Centaur over Veloce, and Mirage and Xenon are no longer made. The groups are functionally the same, Centaur is 53 grams lighter than Veloce for an all aluminum group with 39/53 crank. While Centaur has traditionally been Ultegra level, it used to have a higher level of finish than Veloce. Since Centaur is now all painted, I don't see much advantage to it in terms of finish. I actually prefer silver Veloce, because every little nick and scratch shows on black painted parts.

If you're considering using older NOS parts Mirage is another option, but I'm not crazy about Xenon's plastic rear derailleur body. I built a new bike last year with new 2008 Mirage parts and they function fine. I don't really mind the Escape shifters, which only allow 1 shift at a time to smaller cogs. If you want multiple upshift capability, you need to look for Veloce or Centaur Ultrashift levers (2009/10), or 10 speed levers made prior to 2007. It's getting pretty hard to locate those NOS now.

oldpotatoe
06-10-2012, 02:05 PM
If you're talking current production, there's little reason to go with Centaur over Veloce, and Mirage and Xenon are no longer made. The groups are functionally the same, Centaur is 53 grams lighter than Veloce for an all aluminum group with 39/53 crank. While Centaur has traditionally been Ultegra level, it used to have a higher level of finish than Veloce. Since Centaur is now all painted, I don't see much advantage to it in terms of finish. I actually prefer silver Veloce, because every little nick and scratch shows on black painted parts.

If you're considering using older NOS parts Mirage is another option, but I'm not crazy about Xenon's plastic rear derailleur body. I built a new bike last year with new 2008 Mirage parts and they function fine. I don't really mind the Escape shifters, which only allow 1 shift at a time to smaller cogs. If you want multiple upshift capability, you need to look for Veloce or Centaur Ultrashift levers (2009/10), or 10 speed levers made prior to 2007. It's getting pretty hard to locate those NOS now.

Teeny point, Record and Chorus for 2007 and 2008 are traditional multi dump RH levers and 10s. Still pretty easy to find.