PDA

View Full Version : weekend plans and ride reports...

AngryScientist
06-08-2012, 11:51 AM
counting the hours to get out of work to prep by bike for tomorrow. some comrades of mine are doing the "longest day" bike ride, essentially a ride from high point NJ to Cape May (about 210 miles). the original intent of this annual ride is to celebrate the longest day of the year, the equinox, but it has drifted away from that date for some reason.

in my lack of fitness, i'm opting to take the train and meet them at about mile 80 and do about 130 miles. mostly flat, with the potential of lots of sun exposure and lots of wind. should be interesting at this stage of my summer. report to follow. :bike:

what are you up to?

MattTuck
06-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Get in a couple of rides. Maybe 40 miles each.

I got stuck in a torrential rain shower yesterday with lightning all around me where I was crouching in a road side ditch away from my bike for a little bit less than 15 minutes as my chamois and the rest of me got soaked. I could feel the water sloshing in my shoes once I started up again. Felt like a baby who was sitting on a wet diaper.

Needless to say, if there is the possibility of t-storms or rain, I'll probably wimp out.

veloduffer
06-08-2012, 01:41 PM
I'm riding with some friends on the Revolutionary Ramble (http://www.rambleride.org/), which goes to various American Revolution historical sites in northern NJ. I've never been on the ride, although I know the route. It sells out every year and is very well organized. We'll decide on the road whether we will ride the 50 or 65 mile route - some of the guys are relatively new to cycling and one is coming back from an injury.

We did get these jerseys as the "team jersey".

http://i.ebayimg.com/15/!B939e6QBGk~$(KGrHqMOKiUEzU9b9+c(BM7B4B6RLw~~_35.J PG

PQJ
06-08-2012, 02:01 PM
About 60 hilly miles tomorrow with one mate. Almost 3.86363636 miles on Sunday. On the golf course. (Yes, it's a sport :eek:)

Viper
06-08-2012, 02:08 PM
Something. I'll make it up within moments or minutes of leaving my driveway. Watching Dauphine stage 5, looking for inspiration/ideas. Be safe, enjoy and may the Force be with all.

PaulE
06-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Hat City Cyclefest on Sunday - 104 mile version. Short easy ride tomorrow.

Fixed
06-08-2012, 03:34 PM
I have two races to watch on t.v.
That is a good weekend for me .
Oh And a little gardening
Cheers :)

junkfood
06-08-2012, 03:57 PM
Working on my new home so we can get moved in and that will eat up most of my time. I will squeeze in a 30 miler at some point. There are local crits and road races all weekend, so I will ride down with the family to check those out.

Jake

moose8
06-08-2012, 03:59 PM
I'm going from Boston to Provincetown, then taking the ferry back to Boston, where a cold beer will be waiting in my fridge.

pavel
06-08-2012, 04:04 PM
I want to ride up highway 9 to skyline (bay area/santa cruz mountains) this weekend. I just cant make up my mind what bike to ride.

Ti Designs
06-08-2012, 07:55 PM
I'm going from Boston to Provincetown, then taking the ferry back to Boston, where a cold beer will be waiting in my fridge.

This weekend? Liz and I are planning to do that at the end of the month on the tandem, but she's gluten intolerant so we'll swap out a nice bottle of wine for the cold beer.

Jack Brunk
06-09-2012, 01:02 AM
on the pavement for the first time in a long long time. Should be fun. It's a tad different climbing with 700mm plus wide bars versus 440mm bars. Weird.

Steve in SLO
06-09-2012, 01:58 AM
I want to ride up highway 9 to skyline (bay area/santa cruz mountains) this weekend. I just cant make up my mind what bike to ride.
I would ride my R1, but that's me.
Seriously, what is it like to ride a bike up HWY 9 these days? We used to ride it all the time in the 70's, but that was before the m'cycles and sportscars started tearing it up.

moose8
06-09-2012, 07:30 PM
This weekend? Liz and I are planning to do that at the end of the month on the tandem, but she's gluten intolerant so we'll swap out a nice bottle of wine for the cold beer.

I just rode from Boston to Provincetown. It was beautiful, but there were some serious white knuckle moments, especially on 6a. We followed the outriders route - don't know if there's a better route available or if 6a just has to be part of the ride for sections. I would also recommend starting as early as possible, like 5am early, to avoid traffic in the morning. We started at 6:45 and I'd say it was too late. I can't really stress how bad 6a was - my friend and I have bike commuted in Boston for years and we both felt way frazzled. Numerous cars passed within a foot of us, which felt like an inch. My friend, who is a generally mellow dude, got into it with one guy who really almost ran us over trying to pass us as we were going the same speed as traffic and were a dangerously close four feet or so to the car in front of us. There is just no shoulder on a lot of the roads before the bike path, and there are lots of angry mass drivers. But once we got to the bike path the rest of the route, including the roads from wellfleet to Provincetown were about as good as it gets in New England.

Ti Designs
06-09-2012, 10:14 PM
We put in another 100+ going out to Wachusette via BillG's route, and getting lost on the way back. The tandem is a mileage machine, we struggled on a few of the hills on the way out (a 39x25 going up Justice Hill Rd on a tandem is not suggested) but still managed to finish the last few flat miles well over 25 MPH.

Jack Brunk
06-09-2012, 10:18 PM
55 miles on the new BH via PCH and Mulholland Hwy. Ran into the last leg of the Aids ride from SF to LA. All kind of peeps on the the Aids ride. The BH is a world class ride as advertised. Another 50 plus tomorrow.

benitosan1972
06-09-2012, 11:04 PM
I would ride my R1, but that's me.
Seriously, what is it like to ride a bike up HWY 9 these days? We used to ride it all the time in the 70's, but that was before the m'cycles and sportscars started tearing it up.

I went up Hwy 9 today... it's terrible of late: n00by rich boys on their 1000cc Ducatis and Triumphs, lovebirds joyriding their new STi's and Teslas, and a few racing Freds and Frederiques taking up the entire shoulder weaving and climbing too slow ;)

The place is a clusterf*ck on the weekends, but it's still the best way up to Skyline/Santa Cruz, I just take it in stride and people/vehicle watch rich people's toys as I deal with the mayhem. It actually gets worse once your atop Skyline, that's where people really drive like asshats at 2x-3x the speed limit, and almost eery weekend, you'll see ambulances/sheriffs ticketing/rescuing dumbf*cks who drove beyond their abilities.

572cv
06-10-2012, 06:49 AM
Managed to conserve a few hours yesterday between honey-dos for a short ride, but nice vertical, about 2500ft in 25 miles. The ride included Mt Philo, a little knob over in Charlotte which has a wonderful promontory overlooking Lake Champlain and the Adirondaks to the west. It also has a paved road to the top, about a mile, with a bunch of steep pitches, one approaching 20%. The picture is from the top of Mt. Philo.

majorpat
06-10-2012, 06:51 AM
Great photo of Champlain.

MattTuck
06-10-2012, 07:07 PM
Continuing my trend of rides on which exogenous factors add unnecessary drama, some stinging insect flew into my mouth and stung me twice on my bottom lip before I could spit it out.

Fortunately, I was close to home and was adding on some extra miles when it happened, so it was an easy pedal back, and I was able to ice it. It still swelled up to comic proportions and was painful as hell.

Up to that point, was a really nice ride, probably felt the strongest all year!

Jack Brunk
06-11-2012, 12:19 AM
47 more miles today. Quads, hams and glutes are thrashed. The BH is one hell of a terrific road bike. Good fun today.

pdmtong
06-11-2012, 12:39 AM
Left at 7am...already warm...to get some distance in before catching up with mvrider to see his responsorium and his wife's renovo. did the benchmark climb and then headed home. 40 miles...hot hot hot...managed to avoid the "Tour de Cure" traffic...riders of all shapes and sizes, riding for a good cause

beeatnik
06-11-2012, 12:50 AM
I was sposed to do this (per my coach):

Sunday 10 - 6 hours zone 2-3 with a lot of climbing. Do good zone 3 climbing and the flats should be zone 2. On the last climb of the day push race pace! By the end you should be cooked!

Instead, I rode with a friend who rides a Cervelo T1 track bike brakeless. He was down for 3 or 4 hours of riding. I figured I'd get in 2 hours of climbing after. Well, the day consisted of visiting 4 LA area bike shops: Rolling Cowboys in Koreatown, Helen's in the Westwood district of LA (UCLA), Helen's in Santa Monica and Bike Effect in Santa Monica. I left my house at noon, and returned at 10pm. According to my Garmin, I was on the bike for 5 hours. I'm glad that I was able to spend at least half my day with good friends. Talking about bikes can be just as fun as riding bikes.

benitosan1972
06-11-2012, 12:52 AM
I got caught up in the Tour de Traffic today... 90miles in what felt like 900degrees and 9million Treks & Livestrong jerseys, lol. Can't complain though, every ride around here is a nice ride (once you get out of the congested areas)... I might have seen you PDMTong around OLH, what were you riding?

pdmtong
06-11-2012, 12:57 AM
I got caught up in the Tour de Traffic today... 90miles in what felt like 900degrees and 9million Treks & Livestrong jerseys, lol. Can't complain though, every ride around here is a nice ride (once you get out of the congested areas)... I might have seen you PDMTong around OLH, what were you riding?

parlee z3c

no time to tour, so rode up OLH, over to 84 and back down to home. was planning to go mtb after lunch with family but girls declared "too hot" and of course they were right...no need to suffer up on the exposed ridge when we could be home hanging out with frosty beverages.

benitosan1972
06-11-2012, 01:10 AM
Didn't see the Parlee, definitely saw a Pegoretti around Portola/Alpine,
luckily for me, I left for my ride northbound late enough to be going against
the sea of traffic Tour de Cure folks, can't believe weirdos still try to turn it into a race with their Cervelos & Enve wheels, that was funny to watch

pdmtong
06-11-2012, 01:16 AM
Didn't see the Parlee, definitely saw a Pegoretti around Portola/Alpine,
luckily for me, I left for my ride northbound late enough to be going against
the sea of traffic Tour de Cure folks, can't believe weirdos still try to turn it into a race with their Cervelos & Enve wheels, that was funny to watch

tour de cure = pleasure ride. got chubby people riding with flats stuck in their arches supporting the cause. right on.

if you wanna haul ass, this aint the ride to do it.

still, the long ride went up kings then out to stage back on tunitas. tough haul in today's heat.

AngryScientist
06-11-2012, 06:19 AM
got in my 130 mile ride from the Princeton area down to the Cape May lighthouse. blew up big time at mile 115 or so and continued in "death march" fashion the last 15. legs trashed today. good ride though.

JayBay
06-11-2012, 07:59 AM
I took Friday off and rode with a small group from Andover, MA to Wells, ME. It was a pretty ride, nice weather. Hit the climb up Mt. Agamenticus just before Wells, with a long dirt road climb up to the base of it. Good times. Wrapped up with 83 miles.

Strava Ride - Friday June 8 (http://email.strava.com/wf/click?upn=FLdFplb9Rd0LY-2BmLy3OryuEnPQ4oTB4anhNPYw9LQjCif-2Bvtw5pSoCovFsrBxVjypnT117Yqves-2FdurxMdV-2B6P22DA1x4U-2Fr2lyJbpWUDFzGXGWx2E6CjsAQ-2FHqxeYTs12EvAbLcmTFaGk3dCRlaLQ-3D-3D_kKLYQ91ZFOe6ryzRU3CXyhkwBOgLYbpgTKQPS5GPlRgESi4 veKiARe7H0jRI6UtTqKiADjfd7lxxHmfHtc4QdweZz3Nfqv8BL 67zlNc4sFDLAHDiR7rba-2FBEFzze1GFGB98-2B-2F2k5Srl8EVZsqH3h9w-3D-3D)

------------------------------------------

Sunday I did a solo ride from my inlaws' house in Naples, ME. 65 miles, lots of hills, and a few mediocre pictures.

Strave Ride - Sunday June 10 (http://email.strava.com/wf/click?upn=FLdFplb9Rd0LY-2BmLy3OryuEnPQ4oTB4anhNPYw9LQjCIPniMJVJqd1Oj3J6SZT J7-2Btlg9-2BiXdNLmimIUz5iJ4OH4TT-2B64FOUBang6AEP0uaSQjXX1qaMLkgxofUS-2FenY-2Br-2BvE0JfiIt9va3ZKYeb1g-3D-3D_kKLYQ91ZFOe6ryzRU3CXyhkwBOgLYbpgTKQPS5GPlRgdTlW UGLaohlfG6bNlE2OBRgWtzX18mgMlE2OFJiIp0K6Hjru2-2B0aFUdIVM5FF9PT5Iuve7LhULcqWIZ-2FC4smLEQVWPeNXhyG8qnEauEIVdw-3D-3D)

6am start on the Naples causeway.
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8697/20120610060320215.jpg

Found a great climb up Douglas Mountain in Sebago. Heck of a view from the top.
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/2997/20120610065952111.jpg

Mile 30 - breakfast at Beth's Kitchen Cafe in Bridgton. I love this place. It's a mandatory mid-ride stop on all the rides I do up here.
http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/6266/20120610075244704.jpg
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/6589/20120610075421942.jpg

Mile 50 - getting close to the end. Only one more big climb coming out of Harrison and then it's all downhill back to Naples.
http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/9349/20120610092741762.jpg

gone
06-11-2012, 09:33 AM
Did the Quad Cities Bike Club Tour of the Mississippi Valley (TOMRV) this weekend. 108 miles with just under 5k of climbing on Saturday, nice tailwind push though. 58 miles on Sunday with a killer headwind. Hot both days.

merlinmurph
06-11-2012, 11:45 AM
Sat - khjr came up for a visit and we got in an easy 35 miles before we headed to a party in Boston. First time khjr and I rode together, hopefully not the last, trying to plan a VT ride together (if he doesn't mind waiting......)

Sun - What a freaking gorgeous day. Started with the wife, then as is customary after ~10-15 miles, she tells me to "just go" and I end up with another 35. Couldn't go too long, we had stuff to do. Saw a bunch of "Bikes Beat Cancer" riders.

Enjoy your ride,
Murph

majl
06-11-2012, 11:45 AM
I got in a couple of good rides with a 50-miler on Saturday and a 40-miler on Sunday but the real highlight of the weekend for me was my daughter's 8th grade graduation on Friday, shuttling her to school-sponsored parties on Fri/Sat night, and then having her wake up at 6:15am on Sunday to compete in a local kids triathlon. She killed it on the bike leg and I was lucky enough to capture this pic.

http://majl.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v49/p1023459794-5.jpg