PDA

View Full Version : new Rapha short (as in vid)

thwart
06-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Usual high quality cinema and sound... and worth watching... but seems like the wrong tools (there is a place for MTB's, after all).

http://www.rapha.cc/java/?cm_mmc=email-_-080612-_-textlink-_-java

MattTuck
06-08-2012, 11:55 AM
Would be interesting to know what gearing they were using...

they claim extended grades (20kms) of 28-30%...

that seems well beyond anything even professionals do. Not sure mountain bike gearing would be enough.

So either they're lying, or they're super-men.

thwart
06-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Yeah.

But when folks talk about grade (especially to someone who hasn't ridden that road), it seems that the steepest ramps somehow get confused with average grade for the climb... ;)

velotel
06-08-2012, 01:03 PM
As far as I can tell (I'm not real sophisticated in these matters) the film is all about blowing the tire and gearing selection. Every thing I saw in the film was perfectly ridable, with the right tires and gearing. Thus those guys like to suffer. Welcome to the club. Background scenery looked good though.

TMB
06-08-2012, 01:18 PM
Clearly those are steep slopes.

Looks like a really bad place to be riding (walking) with carbon soled road shoes!

fiamme red
06-08-2012, 01:22 PM
As far as I can tell (I'm not real sophisticated in these matters) the film is all about blowing the tire and gearing selection. Every thing I saw in the film was perfectly ridable, with the right tires and gearing. Thus those guys like to suffer. Welcome to the club. Background scenery looked good though.Wrong equipment for the job = EPIC!

Bob Loblaw
06-08-2012, 01:38 PM
How do I get that job?

BL

Earl Gray
06-08-2012, 02:47 PM
Cool Video.

I hope Specialized help fund it. With the helmets they got more product placement than Rapha.

I.F. had a quick shot about 2:30 in.

Fixed
06-08-2012, 03:15 PM
Stupid Rapha should have taken mountain bikes .
they could have explored more .
go to a place like that and be stuck to the roads that are rideable is stupid.
IMHO
Cheers

Climb01742
06-08-2012, 05:33 PM
Wrong equipment for the job = EPIC!

yeah that was my reaction. bad choices = bad results. i usually dig these rapha videos but this one seemed, just, well, dumb.

pavel
06-08-2012, 06:28 PM
they claim extended grades (20kms) of 28-30%...

that makes roughly 18,300 feet of climbing.

you decide what you want to believe.

false_Aest
06-08-2012, 06:30 PM
Hrm

they claimed 7-8k @ 28-30%.

30% ~ 16.7 degrees (if I did the calculations correct)
16.7 degrees over the course of 8k is a climb of 2.3k or 7,545'

still unbelievable.
poor wording ≠ epic.

pavel
06-08-2012, 06:33 PM
elevation gain / distance = grade

EG/20km = .28

EG=5.6km

false_Aest
06-08-2012, 06:40 PM
this is what my math is doing.

2.3k/8k=.2875= 29%

same % just using different numbers.

i get 8k from ~4'30" into the video

Charles M
06-08-2012, 06:44 PM
I get the imagemercial is what the brand is all about but if they're going to stay on that path, at least be able to measure the path...

If not spending the money on product quality, at least spend the money on a more realistic facade.

Jaq
06-08-2012, 07:33 PM
12 pages!

FlashUNC
06-08-2012, 08:20 PM
Hate to rain on the hate parade here, but the text underneath the video pretty clearly outlines the rides over each of the days, with course profiles.

Viper
06-08-2012, 08:36 PM
Without Rapha Elitist Summer Embrocation and Jungle Skincare Products, the movie is incomplete. Need these guys to ride fixies, 11-23 cassettes are too big. I am considering their cap, in black, as it belongs to Ireland...but I don't know...I feel like I would be wearing Darkside Vader Clothingline. Come on Rapha...your Chamois Cream has a scent, "Inspired by the fragrance of of the flora around Mount Ventoux":

http://www.rapha.cc/rapha-chamois-cream

:rolleyes:

tannhauser
06-08-2012, 09:20 PM
As far as I can tell (I'm not real sophisticated in these matters) the film is all about blowing the tire and gearing selection. Every thing I saw in the film was perfectly ridable, with the right tires and gearing. Thus those guys like to suffer. Welcome to the club. Background scenery looked good though.

I rode some hills today in a 50x19 and looked like that. Beootiful country though.

The drarma increasingly looks staged.

Maybe these guys could make it more relevant by:

taking off their helmets & glasses
learn how to pace and spin a low gear like anyone who rides an mtb does, though 25% is 25%.

In that environment I'd be embarassed in any sort of kit on any bike other than what the locals rode.

PS there's hardly anything worse than po-mo fake gamelan but the stuff at the end yum.

FlashUNC
06-08-2012, 10:08 PM
Without Rapha Elitist Summer Embrocation and Jungle Skincare Products, the movie is incomplete. Need these guys to ride fixies, 11-23 cassettes are too big. I am considering their cap, in black, as it belongs to Ireland...but I don't know...I feel like I would be wearing Darkside Vader Clothingline. Come on Rapha...your Chamois Cream has a scent, "Inspired by the fragrance of of the flora around Mount Ventoux":

http://www.rapha.cc/rapha-chamois-cream

:rolleyes:

It also happens to be really good stuff. Way better than the Assos or DZ stuff I've tried.

Lovetoclimb
06-08-2012, 10:12 PM
of the last three in varying countries this has been my favorite. the music was a nice compliment.

But I do prefer the older style exploring NA and meeting local folk or all silent with great scores style of Continental videos.

ckamp
06-08-2012, 11:29 PM
Everyone likes seeing the stats of a good looking and challenging ride so they can say to themselves "hey I could of done that" or "I would need more saddle time before that ride".

Websites like strava are great for this. It would of been nice if they showed their route and ride stats, I know I find that information interesting.

Hartlin
06-09-2012, 11:25 AM
I'm usually a fan of their shorts, especially the ones that include Rapha-Condor.

But even this one is a little too "epic" for me.