PDA

View Full Version : I'm through with Paypal!

mike p
06-08-2012, 08:53 AM
I'm a long time pp user as it's the most convenient way to complete transactions. I went to add funds to my account today and find out I can't till I provide.....

1. Photo ID
2. Proof of address
3. Proof of SSN

Of course when I call to find out what's going on or how to provide above info all you get is a recording!! There has to be a better way! Back to sending money orders through the mail! Who else got this? How did you resolve? Alternatives?

Mike

54ny77
06-08-2012, 08:58 AM
doesn't sound right.

you should scan your computer. malwarebytes or hitman pro are quite good.

martinrjensen
06-08-2012, 08:59 AM
I don't understand. I just registered my bank account with them, no problem. is it different now?I'm a long time pp user as it's the most convenient way to complete transactions. I went to add funds to my account today and find out I can't till I provide.....

1. Photo ID
2. Proof of address
3. Proof of SSN

Of course when I call to find out what's going on or how to provide above info all you get is a recording!! There has to be a better way! Back to sending money orders through the mail! Who else got this? How did you resolve? Alternatives?

Mike

jr59
06-08-2012, 09:00 AM
After being cheated out of more money than a small house would cost, by ebay/PP, I'll NEVER use them EVER again.

Funny how losing 100,00 dollars will do that to you.

I use USP money orders, sent express mail!
The seller can cash them at the post office, or at least check them there to be sure they are real.

I've missed a few things I wanted, but I will never use EB/PP again.

martinrjensen
06-08-2012, 09:04 AM
Sorry to hear that. I've never really had a problem with either of them, other than not liking eBay's fees. I also want to know where you can buy a small house for $100.00After being cheated out of more money than a small house would cost, by ebay/PP, I'll NEVER use them EVER again.

I use USP money orders, sent express mail!
The seller can cash them at the post office, or at least check them there to be sure they are real.

jvp
06-08-2012, 09:12 AM
? Why not add funds to your own bank account that PP draws from, instead of trying to add them directly to your PP account? I always keep my PP balance low, I use them but don't trust them...

jr59
06-08-2012, 09:13 AM
Sorry to hear that. I've never really had a problem with either of them, other than not liking eBay's fees. I also want to know where you can buy a small house for $100.00

lol!

Me too!

The figure would start @ 100,000.00 US. That does not include legal fees!

gone
06-08-2012, 09:16 AM
I'm a long time pp user as it's the most convenient way to complete transactions. I went to add funds to my account today and find out I can't till I provide.....

1. Photo ID
2. Proof of address
3. Proof of SSN

Mike
I'll second what was mentioned above: it's more than likely a scam. I've used a couple of times recently and have never been asked for that info.

mike p
06-08-2012, 09:17 AM
After what seamed like hours on the phone yelling at a recording I finally got to talk to a human being. After giving them tons of info they passed me on to three other real live people each of whom asked for the same info I had just given to the others. My last contact needed last four digits of my bank acc. SSN, and date of birth. All info they already had. I guess now I'm back in business.........frustration!!

Mike

1happygirl
06-08-2012, 10:54 AM
After being cheated out of more money than a small house would cost, by ebay/PP, I'll NEVER use them EVER again.

snip

Amen. I quit Epay long time ago and try to avoid PP as much as possible. Some things a while back it were required. (grammar for fun)

BumbleBeeDave
06-08-2012, 11:03 AM
. . . "Identity Theft SCAM!"

BBD

1. Photo ID
2. Proof of address
3. Proof of SSN

Mike

Wayne77
06-08-2012, 11:11 AM
After what seamed like hours on the phone yelling at a recording I finally got to talk to a human being. After giving them tons of info they passed me on to three other real live people each of whom asked for the same info I had just given to the others. My last contact needed last four digits of my bank acc. SSN, and date of birth. All info they already had. I guess now I'm back in business.........frustration!!

Mike

I'm not happy with Paypal or ebay fees, but I use them alot and have NEVER been asked for this type of info. Did you call a number listed in an email? I agree with a few others this SCREAMS Fishing Scam. As a matter of practice, any email that includes a request to call or login directly from a link in the email could be a fishing scame. Instead, go directly to the site, log in and then see what the deal is (Maybe you already did this...)

Safest thing - go to www.paypal.com, login with your credentials and select the customer service / contact us option. You will be given a temporary access code and a 1-800 number. Call the # and enter your access code when it asks you. You will have a live person after a very short waiting period.

I would be HIGHLY suspicious of anyone asking for a SSN over the phone for an an account you already have with them. The Photo ID thing makes it sound even stranger. The only exception I can think is if you're trying to add a very large sum to your account, $5,000 - $10,000. In that case, there are some very strict banking AML rules they, and every other financial institution are subject to (and for very good reason).

GuyGadois
06-08-2012, 12:14 PM

Wait, can you go into more detail out the $100,000 loss. How did that happen?? :eek:

ultraman6970
06-08-2012, 12:26 PM
Op check the computer, sounds wrong.

rccardr
06-08-2012, 12:31 PM
Long time PP and eBay user- early adopter, in fact. Premier PP customer, which means I use them a LOT.

I never 'fund' my PP account, instead it's linked to my 'bike' bank account and credit card. When I need to pay, it pulls from the bank account and then the CC if the bank account doesn't have enough to cover the amount.

When I have a bunch O' money in there from selling a couple of bikes, I just transfer it back to the bank account. Super simple, never been screwed. Only time they locked the account was when I was trying to complete a sale from Italy and the IP address was so different they wanted to confirm that it was me accessing the account. Took, oh, ten minutes.

Sure, there are fees, but it's a business. They need to keep the lights on and the doors unlocked, too. Which is also why I don't use the 'personal pay' option unless that's what it's really for.

redir
06-08-2012, 12:46 PM
Wait, can you go into more detail out the $100,000 loss. How did that happen?? :eek:

YEah I'd like to hear more of this story too.

slidey
06-08-2012, 01:18 PM
Sounds like a scam...I've had no such issues.

1. Photo ID
2. Proof of address
3. Proof of SSN

Mike

oldguy00
06-08-2012, 04:22 PM
Long time PP and eBay user- early adopter, in fact. Premier PP customer, which means I use them a LOT.

I never 'fund' my PP account, instead it's linked to my 'bike' bank account and credit card. When I need to pay, it pulls from the bank account and then the CC if the bank account doesn't have enough to cover the amount.

When I have a bunch O' money in there from selling a couple of bikes, I just transfer it back to the bank account. Super simple, never been screwed. Only time they locked the account was when I was trying to complete a sale from Italy and the IP address was so different they wanted to confirm that it was me accessing the account. Took, oh, ten minutes.

Sure, there are fees, but it's a business. They need to keep the lights on and the doors unlocked, too. Which is also why I don't use the 'personal pay' option unless that's what it's really for.

Same setup, and experience for me too, for the last several years.

ORMojo
06-08-2012, 04:33 PM
That is not a scam, that is standard PP security operating procedure. It isn't common, but if a security, or certain other, flag(s) is triggered, you will get that request to validate.

dnades
06-08-2012, 04:43 PM
I just got flagged for security check and had to go on and confirm bank account number (or CC card number) and change password. I never go to paypal from the email as I have a hard time believing it is not a scam of some sort. If this was one it is pretty sophisticated. I did not have to do the photo id etc of the OP.

gdw
06-08-2012, 04:44 PM
I had similar problems with PayPal. I'd love to stop using them but too many of the people I deal with prefer it.
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=104263&highlight=paypal

Ralph
06-08-2012, 05:18 PM
I look at it like having to jump thru all those hoops is also protecting me, as well as them. I appreciate their security.

Like above has stated.....I don't keep money with them, just have them hit my CC for a purchase. So no need to make deposits with them.

They are just an Internet bank.

1centaur
06-08-2012, 06:03 PM
Question for the inner workings folks:

The whole point of being "verified" on PayPal was that a real bank had already confirmed your identity in granting you a bank account and PP could free ride on that assurance. After all, banks provide tax forms based on your SS every year. What has changed that such proof is no longer sufficient. I get that AML has become tougher, but was there a law change such that direct (duplicative) proof of ID is required once funding size reaches a certain point?

mike p
06-08-2012, 09:08 PM
This was no scam. The information request came up when I tried to add funds to my account on paypal's site. Got it resolved after many frustrating minutes on the phone.

Mike

Fivethumbs
06-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Let's hear the 100000 story.

SEABREEZE
06-09-2012, 01:07 PM
http://www.paypalsucks.com/

http://www.paypalwarning.com/