PDA

View Full Version : 1x10 setup issues

A1CKot
06-07-2012, 09:17 PM
I recently swapped some parts around and dropped the old Shimano stuff off of my Concours cross if favor of the Campy 10 stuff that was on my Ottrott. I kept the Shimano crank that has the inner chain ring and a bash guard as the outer ring. Everything shifts fine and it is surprisingly quiet but when I'm in the small half of the cassette my chain starts to do funny things. If I'm free wheeling at speed it seems like my chain whats to over take my chain ring. The chain above the chain stay goes slack and the derailleur is pulled tight. If I'm not careful the chain drops to the inside of the crank.

Thanks in advance.

forrestw
06-07-2012, 09:24 PM
Sounds like your freehub is sticky, try lubricating it. - perhaps with a thinner oil. I had this with a freewheel a while back.

Bob Loblaw
06-07-2012, 09:26 PM
This is a tricky one and will prob take some sleuthing. Sounds to me like you may have either too short of a bb spindle or your chain is a link too long. That is what I would look at first if it was my bike.

BL

A1CKot
06-07-2012, 09:32 PM
This is a tricky one and will prob take some sleuthing. Sounds to me like you may have either too short of a bb spindle or your chain is a link too long. That is what I would look at first if it was my bike.

BL

I pulled 2 links out of the chain before my ride today after having this problem earlier in the week. It didn't really help but needed to be done. It doesn't seem to be a cross chaining issue but I will look into that because I will eventually replace the Shimano crank with a White Industries.

forrestw- Sticky freehub!!! Thanks. Didn't even think about that. I'll look in to that and give it a ride tomorrow.

jonnyBgood
06-07-2012, 11:48 PM
I too would have a look at the freehub body as you mentioned the chain is slack above the chainstays and the rear der is pulling tight. Sounds as if the freehub body needs an overhaul.

Do you have another wheel you can throw on and try? I would try another wheel and see what happens with it.

rustychisel
06-08-2012, 12:58 AM
turn bike upside down - one of the few times this is permissable - and rotate back wheel.

forward, ie direction of travel, crank should rotate also
backward, crank should not rotate. If it does then chain is 'sticking' or [more likely] freehub needs maintenace, lube

oldpotatoe
06-08-2012, 07:38 AM
I recently swapped some parts around and dropped the old Shimano stuff off of my Concours cross if favor of the Campy 10 stuff that was on my Ottrott. I kept the Shimano crank that has the inner chain ring and a bash guard as the outer ring. Everything shifts fine and it is surprisingly quiet but when I'm in the small half of the cassette my chain starts to do funny things. If I'm free wheeling at speed it seems like my chain whats to over take my chain ring. The chain above the chain stay goes slack and the derailleur is pulled tight. If I'm not careful the chain drops to the inside of the crank.

Thanks in advance.

FH 'freewheeling' problem. Ksyrium wheel?

A1CKot
06-08-2012, 12:52 PM
FH 'freewheeling' problem. Ksyrium wheel?

White industries LTA's. I'll look at them when I get off work later today.