PDA

View Full Version : Cycling Books in bookstore

LouDeeter
06-07-2012, 07:20 PM
I used to always check the offerings for cycling books anytime I would visit a bookstore. It's been several years since I did. I can recall years ago finding a couple of maintenance books, a couple on training, maybe a touring book, and that was about it. I was very surprised today to see about twenty books available. Four about Lance Armstrong, a couple by people who hung around Lance and are trying to benefit from it (Bruyneel and Ochowicz), many maintenance and performance guides and a couple of touring books. Still not a complete shelf, but improvement.

monkeybanana86
06-07-2012, 11:10 PM
Once, I was surprised to see the Jobst Brandt classic wheel book in used book store so I bought it. The store also had a classic punk/skateboard photography book by Glen E. Friedman which I also had to pick up. Great finds!

BumbleBeeDave
06-08-2012, 05:47 AM
. . . when I would go to Borders or B&N. But no longer for a long time because they all seemed to have only . .

A) Books about Lance, by Lance, or how to ride like Lance.
B) Maintenance books
C) Training bibles

There seems a huge shortage of books about the experience and philosophy of riding. 'Miles From Nowhere" comes to mind . . .

http://books.google.com/books/about/Miles_from_Nowhere.html?id=jjITkUUZ5EcC

Also "French Revolutions" . . .

http://books.google.com/books?id=X6-qFP6r3G0C&printsec=frontcover&dq=French+Revolutions+tour+de+france&hl=en#v=onepage&q=French%20Revolutions%20tour%20de%20france&f=false

Epic, personally significant journeys. Stories of personal change through the experience. Rapha-esque but without the pretension or the marketing bent.

Maybe those books are out there but they don't get sorted and included in the "sports" book section. But my cycling interests have moved to a place where the books I'm interested in are not the ones you will find a section for at the local chain bookstore.

BBD

redir
06-08-2012, 07:28 AM
Book store? Whats a book store?

tv_vt
06-08-2012, 11:37 AM
I actually bought "Slaying the Badger" in a local bookstore last weekend. It was just sitting there on the shelf. Not a special order.

Definitely a lot more cycling books out there lately.

LouDeeter
06-08-2012, 01:14 PM
I picked up Cycling Home from Siberia, a personal travel account. I love books like this. But, being cheap, I came home and found it used on Ebay for half the price in the bookstore.....

LouDeeter
06-08-2012, 01:16 PM
Barbara Savages' Miles from Nowhere has to be the standard for bicycle travel adventures. And, to put an exclamation point on it, she gets killed riding near home after she finishes her round-the-world adventure.

sc53
06-08-2012, 01:17 PM

Yes, exactly what I was going to say. I don't have a nearby bookstore anymore.

monkeybanana86
06-08-2012, 01:19 PM

damn kindles