PDA

View Full Version : Right Hand Integrated Shifter Cable Breakage

palincss
06-07-2012, 04:23 PM
I've seen several people with STI units that have broken right hand shifter cables on rides. It happened on the last two rides I led, Tuesday and Thursday of this week. The one today is a repeat of an incident that happened on a ride last year; after that, the STI unit was replaced under warranty with one allegedly free of the defect that causes the cables to break inside the unit (obviously, that didn't work out so well).

Some bike shops recommend changing the cables every 1,000 miles. Sometimes when the cable breaks, the shifter jams and cannot be repaired.

I'm seeking the wisdom of the collective here:

Does this happen with SRAM and Campagnolo integrated shifters as well, or is it strictly a Shimano STI problem?
Does it happen with all Shimano groups, or only certain ones?
Does it happen with units where the housing goes under the bar wrap, or is it strictly an issue with those where the cable sticks out of the housing sideways?
Does 1,000 miles as a preventative replacement interval seem excessive, or is it about right?
Does anyone really understand why this breakage happens? Is it a design defect, or is it a manufacturing defect that only affects certain units?

jds108
06-07-2012, 07:01 PM
I'm curious to hear about this as well. I am assuming that you're referring to the newest Shimano units where the shifter cable is under the handlebar tape.

Somebody else on some other forum posted the same concern.

I have a couple of 6700 equipped bikes and haven't had any trouble, other than the small irritation of initially running the wires through the shifters during install.

When comparing the new Shimano shifters to the older style, the new style has another bend that the cables need to go through, but it didn't seem too bad to me and I wouldn't think it would cause the cables to break.

Anybody here have a cable break inside their new-style Shimano shifter, or repair one?

PaMtbRider
06-07-2012, 07:55 PM
It can happen on any of them but is most common on Shimano 10 speed shifters. The cable starts to fray right at the head and can jam the shifter internals with tiny pieces of frayed cable. Sometimes you can clean it out but I know of at least one friend who had to replace a fairly new 7800 dura-ace shifter because of this. My wife uses shimano and has had cables start to fray on 2 occasions. I now replace the cables at least once per year.

false_Aest
06-07-2012, 08:30 PM
The only time I've seen cables break is when people haven't taken care of their bikes.

Replacing that stuff every 1k sounds RIDICULOUS.

I guess if someone had really nasty sweat or rode in bad weather I could see it being worth while... but at that point I'd be worried about their alien sweat eating through . . . paint, bars, headsets . . . their skin.

tannhauser
06-07-2012, 08:45 PM
I've seen several people with STI units that have broken right hand shifter cables on rides. It happened on the last two rides I led, Tuesday and Thursday of this week. The one today is a repeat of an incident that happened on a ride last year; after that, the STI unit was replaced under warranty with one allegedly free of the defect that causes the cables to break inside the unit (obviously, that didn't work out so well).

Some bike shops recommend changing the cables every 1,000 miles. Sometimes when the cable breaks, the shifter jams and cannot be repaired.

Does this happen with SRAM and Campagnolo integrated shifters as well, or is it strictly a Shimano STI problem?
Does it happen with units where the housing goes under the bar wrap, or is it strictly an issue with those where the cable sticks out of the housing sideways?
Does 1,000 miles as a preventative replacement interval seem excessive, or is it about right?
Does anyone really understand why this breakage happens? Is it a design defect, or is it a manufacturing defect that only affects certain units?

It happens with Dura Ace with alarming frequency. No, it hasn't happened with my Campy Record/Chorus levers in 11k+ miles.

1000k is stupid to compensate for an inferior design, from a longevity standpoint.

Some pro teams change their Shimano/SRAM cables every week.

If it really bothers you go electronic or another mfg.

But then again, all we're talking about is moving a piece of chain from one cog to another.

DRietz
06-07-2012, 09:12 PM
It can happen with new 10spd Shimano shifters, but is most commonly an issue with old 10spd Ultegra and Dura-Ace STIs. Often times a broken cable in one of the older shifters warranted them useless and ready for the bin.

The best way to prevent an issue is to make sure the head and the cable are adequately greased - it comes down to a friction issue, I believe. Very common problem.

Bob Loblaw
06-07-2012, 09:31 PM
Interesting. I have heard about this but never experienced it with any Shimano shifter. I do replace the cables every year or so but that is 6k miles.

BL

dave thompson
06-07-2012, 09:44 PM
I've made it a habit that when installing cables in any shifter, I grease the head and about the first inch of the inner wire. I've never had problems in the years that I've been running 7800 shifters.

AngryScientist
06-08-2012, 05:54 AM
from what i remember this is is a particular problem with 5600 and 6600 more than any other shifters. its pretty well documented. 1000 mile cable changes is probably overkill, but the reality is that a shift cable is $3, and brutally easy to change on that style shifter, with the cable popping out the side of the shifter body. seems like cheap easy insurance if you own those shifters to me.

oldpotatoe
06-08-2012, 07:35 AM

I've seen a lot of these but only on 7800 and 6600 levers. Not an issue with Campagnolo or 6500/7700 or 5700/6700/7900 and not on Campagnolo.

Just unhook the cable from the RF, and push the cable end out of the lever occasionally to check it..or replace...1000 miles(1-2 months) is a cheap way to prevent.

Right now, we are 100% in getting the broken heads out but.......

rice rocket
06-08-2012, 07:50 AM
Is there any consistency as to which cables this happen on?

I've had the Dura-Ace cables into my DA7800 shifters, for about 4000 miles. I haven't thought about changing them because it shifts fine. :confused:

oldpotatoe
06-08-2012, 07:58 AM
Is there any consistency as to which cables this happen on?

I've had the Dura-Ace cables into my DA7800 shifters, for about 4000 miles. I haven't thought about changing them because it shifts fine. :confused:

RH, since it shifts more but I'd check it. Getting the shards and end out is a real PITA.

But first symptom is the shifting suddenly goes to hell, since breaking strands makes the cable longer.

ClutchCargo
06-08-2012, 08:22 AM
Just unhook the cable from the RF, and push the cable end out of the lever occasionally to check it..or replace...1000 miles(1-2 months) is a cheap way to prevent. .......

Shifter cables should last more than 1000 miles, no?
Unless you're frequently riding in wet or extremely damp
conditions, I would've thought you could expect at least
5-6,000 miles or so. Or have I just been lucky?