PDA

View Full Version : I want to read this book (The Price of Gold - Marty Nothstein)

firerescuefin
06-07-2012, 01:22 PM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/olympic-moments-2000-nothstein-the-last-great-american-sprinter

I am going to purchase and read it...I think it may have been Ghost written by Viper though.

Excerpt from The Price of Gold:
Rousseau is a prodigy who fulfilled his promise and then some. He owns 10 Olympic and world championship medals, including a gold medal from these Games in the team sprint. In a country that's synonymous with cycling, Rousseau ranks as one of the most accomplished racers of all time.

And in the match sprint, Rousseau is a silent assassin. He isn't known for his tactical prowess or deft bike handling. He doesn't play games. He isn't an aggressor. I'm told he hates racing me because he doesn't like getting physical. Rousseau wins by riding faster over the last lap of a match sprint than anyone else in the world. To beat Rousseau, I must ride the fastest final 200 meters of my life - twice.

Many sprinters perform exaggerated mental preparations on the start line. With a series of heaving breaths and snorts, they transform themselves from mere competitors, into predators. Rousseau's routine is recognized worldwide. His porcelain-smooth skin draws tight across his face as he flares his nostrils and widens his eyes. He clenches his teeth as if he's ripping into a tough steak. Over a series of inhalations, Rousseau's eyes grow wider and wider, until they're nearly bulging from his skull.

Me, I look as if I couldn't care less. During the '99 season I completely changed my start line routine, a mental preparation similar to a pitcher's wind up, or a basketball player's movements on the free throw line. I don't strut and prance like a fighting cock thrown into a pit. I'm ready to throw down whenever, wherever. As Rousseau performs his interpretive dance on the start line, I sit stoically on my bike, a look of sincere boredom on my face. I take a handful of deep breaths, roll my shoulders, and stare off into space. I always make sure I'm the last rider to grab my handlebars.

I wait for Rousseau to reach down for his drops. Then I count backward for 10 seconds, 10, 9, 8,...before grabbing my own handlebars. I look over at Rousseau and stare him directly in the eye. Let's ****ing race, I think. Rousseau grabs his handlebars. The official blows the whistle. You first, I think.

Rousseau rolls into the lead.

He rides at a measured pace at the bottom of the track. No games. No tricks. We'll just ride as fast as we can ride. I sit behind Rousseau, a bike length off his back wheel. One lap goes by, then two. The bell clangs. Rousseau rises from the saddle. I stand on my pedals. He's going now, and I'm coming.

I'm at Rousseau's wheel by the start of the second turn. I'm in his draft. One, two, three pedal strokes and I'm beside him. One, two, three pedal strokes and I'm a half-wheel in front of him. We enter the third turn, our thick arms braced against our bars, our legs firing with every muscle fiber we can muster.

We're riding for Olympic gold. I'm riding for my life.

fiamme red
06-07-2012, 01:49 PM
Great athlete, but not the most gracious or diplomatic of men.

This interview was interesting:

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/interviews/nothstein012.shtml

After the Games, Nothstein was invited to the White House for an audience with the President of the United States. The newly minted gold medallist declined, opting instead to attend school with son Tyler for display and discussion of the Olympic hardware.

CN: I don't know if anyone has told you this, and don't 'kill the messenger,' but - dude, you 'dissed' the President!

MN: Yeah, I know. No big deal. I'm sure he'd accept it - I did it for a good reason. Would I have liked to have gone? Without a doubt. But, again, there are priorities. I was the priority leading-up to 2000. Afterwards, it was time for Tyler and Devon.

firerescuefin
06-07-2012, 01:57 PM
Thanks for posting that interview...very entertaining. I laughed a couple of times.

MN: I thought I could use a little more quickness. Looking back at pictures from '96, I weighed 218 pounds for the Olympic Games - like a Hulk on a bike. If we could just lose about ten, fifteen of those pounds, plus increase your strength, you're going to be incredibly quick. That's what we worked on for the last two years going into the Games - strength and quickness.

That's what I started training towards, more like the Olympic weightlifters. These guys have incredible explosive power. I trained very similar, and it worked. Nobody could 'snap' the big gear like I could. I even went to the extent of training with the local college football team, doing speed running drills, and power drills. Stuff like that helped, incredibly. It's just training the brain to be quick - to Fire when you had to Fire. It was perfect. I beat Rousseau with a 50 [50/14 gearing]. I've been recorded at over 2200 watts.

CN: You're kidding me!?

MN: No. There's some power in these legs.

CN: What does that wind-out to?

MN: About 160rpm. I've hit 50[mph].

CN: Do you normally sprint in a 50T?

MN: 49, or 50.

CN: You don't even use a 48 anymore, do you?

MN: No, 48 - that's like… a warm-up gear.

GregL
06-07-2012, 02:12 PM
I met Marty at a race in 2004 after he had transitioned to the road. He was very friendly and approachable. It was fun shooting the breeze with a fellow racing cyclist -- who happened to have a gold medal on the shelf back home...

harryblack
06-07-2012, 03:28 PM
Can you say "understatement" re: "gracious"? I don't know how many PA road racers are here but I'd say Nothstein's rep is maybe a smidgen above that of Joe Papp... I try not to think about track racing, period, but inevitably you do hear stories, NONE of them flattering to Nothstein or Trexlertown.

Marty was garbage on the road btw, not that you'd expect 'better' but even with Navigators support he was unimpressive even against good Cat IIs.

Great athlete, but not the most gracious or diplomatic of men.

This interview was interesting:

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/interviews/nothstein012.shtml