PDA

View Full Version : Looking for someone with mixed sized feet to buy cylcing shoes with

John H.
06-07-2012, 12:40 PM
As the header says- I am looking for someone with mixed size feet to buy shoes with. I have decided that I am better with a size 44.5 left shoe and size 44 right shoe. This is in shoes like Shimano, Specialized and Northwave so far.
So ideal candidate has a 44 left foot and 44.5 right foot.
To clarify- I need 44.5 left/44 right- so I am seeking someone who needs 44 left and 44.5 right.
PM me if you fit that bill and want to get some shoes. I can usually get shoes at a discount too so it will be worth your while. That and I am a shoe whore. Have some mixed Northwaves here- planning on mtb shoes soon.

firerescuefin
06-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Hey John...your post seems to contradict itself regarding which foot is bigger

John H.
06-07-2012, 12:53 PM
I was pretty specific if you read it- But I went in and edited and added again what I wear and also what the other person needs to wear.

I need 44.5 left and 44 right.
I am looking for someone who needs 44 left and 44.5 right.

firerescuefin
06-07-2012, 01:14 PM
I was pretty specific if you read it- But I went in and edited and added again what I wear and also what the other person needs to wear.

I need 44.5 left and 44 right.
I am looking for someone who needs 44 left and 44.5 right.

Yes...it is I that is slow

slidey
06-07-2012, 01:19 PM
Is this common?

Until now, I hadn't thought so, but I definitely feel my left toes hurting a lot more than my right one's...consistently :cool:

John H.
06-07-2012, 01:21 PM
Not so uncommon for feet to be 1/2 size different.
I notice that if I buy for small foot- toes on big foot touch the end.
If I buy for my big foot- volume of shoe often too large on small foot.

BdaGhisallo
06-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Keep your eyes peeled on ebay. Single shoes often come up there. I've seen both Giro and Specialized there.

Point Grey
06-07-2012, 08:06 PM
Have you tried footbeds? And is your foot length in skeletal or muscular for difference? Have you sized your feet on a brannOckenden device? This could help in sizing properly and may help in your shoe sizing issue

John H.
06-07-2012, 08:32 PM
Yes and I have tried everything on earth including moldable Bonts, and even custom shoes. I do have footbeds, but my feet are solidly 1/2 size different and my smaller foot is also a bit lower volume- so it is not as easy to deal with the extra size on that side.
With stock shoes of the same size I have to pick from short on my big foot or sloppy on my small foot.

Have you tried footbeds? And is your foot length in skeletal or muscular for difference? Have you sized your feet on a brannOckenden device? This could help in sizing properly and may help in your shoe sizing issue

ultraman6970
06-07-2012, 10:28 PM
What I would do is to use a super thick insole in the smaller shoe.

Or buy for your smaller shoe and ride the biggest feet w/o insole or with a super thin insole.

weiwentg
06-08-2012, 07:01 AM
or you could just get D2 custom.

I don't have a pair myself, I'm just saying, they're pricey, but you've got so many pairs of pairs of shoes that by now you could've got one.

charliedid
06-08-2012, 07:27 AM
Not sure if they still do it but you used to be able to order Carnac shoes in separate sizes.

yakstone
06-08-2012, 09:07 AM
I agree, go custom as the alternative search is for the proverbial need in ....

John H.
06-08-2012, 10:00 AM
Thanks- but a thinner insole will change stack on one side- I don't have a leg length difference.

What I would do is to use a super thick insole in the smaller shoe.

Or buy for your smaller shoe and ride the biggest feet w/o insole or with a super thin insole.

John H.
06-08-2012, 10:02 AM
I have tried custom shoes. I have a set of D2 shoes sitting here that don't work. I have sent them back about 6 times for changes/modifications. Don has been unable to nail it.
I guess I could keep sending them back but it gets old after multiple tries.

or you could just get D2 custom.

I don't have a pair myself, I'm just saying, they're pricey, but you've got so many pairs of pairs of shoes that by now you could've got one.

ultraman6970
06-08-2012, 12:29 PM
Easy fix, put the difference in a shim under the cleat. IMO you have a work around for this, plastic shims are available and so far doubt you will need more than 2 or 3 mm of shims.

Thanks- but a thinner insole will change stack on one side- I don't have a leg length difference.

weiwentg
06-08-2012, 12:40 PM
I have tried custom shoes. I have a set of D2 shoes sitting here that don't work. I have sent them back about 6 times for changes/modifications. Don has been unable to nail it.
I guess I could keep sending them back but it gets old after multiple tries.

or do the fit in person. or keep spending money buying pairs of pairs of shoes. :banana::banana::eek::eek:

DRietz
06-08-2012, 12:43 PM
Easy fix, put the difference in a shim under the cleat. IMO you have a work around for this, plastic shims are available and so far doubt you will need more than 2 or 3 mm of shims.

A shim isn't going to help anything - one of his feet is longer than the other, not his legs.

ultraman6970
06-08-2012, 02:05 PM
Yes but he can use insoles of different thickness, then he said that doing that was going to mess up his legs because if the goes that route one of his legs will get shorter, then use shims in shoe with thinner insoles then.

John H.
06-08-2012, 02:21 PM
That is the most ass-backwards fix I ever heard of.
Mix insoles and then add shims?
Mixing different sized shoes is a way better idea.
Also- curious why everyone feels the need to add their own possible solution.
My post was to find someone with a size 44 left foot and 44.5 right foot- not for advice on how I should fix my shoe issues.

Yes but he can use insoles of different thickness, then he said that doing that was going to mess up his legs because if the goes that route one of his legs will get shorter, then use shims in shoe with thinner insoles then.

firerescuefin
06-08-2012, 02:31 PM
John...reason I read your post initially is that we have the exact same shoe size (even the same sides).

I know you drop some coin on your cycling endeavors. D2 or a custom manufacturer not an option?

John H.
06-08-2012, 02:38 PM
I have some- they did not work out.
Since I am remote he has not been able to successfully transfer my needs into a proper fitting set of shoes.
They have been back and forth to Don a good 6 times or so- Whenever one thing gets fixed- another things gets worse.
I should probably send them back and try again but it gets frustrating.
When I 1st got them they were just way too big for my foot, went through rounds of tighening and they ended up too short, had him add some length but it was not enough.
Right now they are perfect in girth from the ball of the foot back- but toe box is too short and maybe a bit too low.
I know that Don makes a good product but I think the custom order thing works best if you go there rather than doing it by mail.
That has been my experience.

John...reason I read your post initially is that we have the exact same shoe size (even the same sides).

I know you drop some coin on your cycling endeavors. D2 or a custom manufacturer not an option?